• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 sporesmen

sporesmen

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:48 PM

Here is the second flush from my first try. The first cake shows 8 promesing pins. However after 2 days the smaller pins were aborted and Im not sure if its because I sprayed the dry top of the cake or what. One of the cakes continues to give me just one fruitl. But its a nice size fruit. I removed it already since the cap did not seem to be forming. I wonder if may be I should try to clone it. The last picture shows a bit of blue? or green? around the edge of the cap. I guess its good I took it out now.

Attached Thumbnails

• B+ Feb 22 05.JPG
  • B+ Feb 24 05.JPG
  • Fatty 1 Feb 24 05.JPG
  • Fatty Feb 24 05.JPG
  • Fatty Green Feb 24 05.JPG

#2 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:52 PM

looks good
i personally would have waited for it to open up, i think it would have spread out for ya.
enjoy it
nice first try imo

#3 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:51 AM

often times you'll get a few big shrooms or a bunch of little ones.....

i recommend that after primordia form, that misting either be stopped until the end of the flush, or sprayed against the sides of the tub only......not on the cakes as it can cause aborts.....

what you can do is add moist vermiculite to the top and bottom of the cakes, its called a Double End Casing and it a good way to add extra moisture to your cakes.........

also, your cakes look healthy and i don't think the mushroom you picked was going to get much bigger...so enjoy.......

#4 troutlips

troutlips

VIP Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 03:11 AM

I think Python is right. A double end verm casing would have really helped.
You still got some nice bigguns though, nice grow! :)

#5 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 25 February 2005 - 09:28 AM

Yep, really nice grow, especially for yur first attempt. Stick around and yu will pick up all kinds of great information. The blue coloration yu mentioned around the edge of the cap is normal. As the mushroom matures it usually turns blue, at least in my experience, where the annulus (veil/skirt) attaches to the cap. It's just a thin blue line. It turns this blue color just before the cap separates from the skirt.
Oh yea, WELCOME TO MYCOTOPIA!!

#6 sinthetic

sinthetic

i party like a rock star

• Expired Member
  • 872 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:20 PM

b+ on cakes always amazes me by the size. It real funny when the shroom gets so heavy for the cake that the whole deal topples over

#7 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 07:02 PM

I also agree with Python. Become familiar with Double End Casing (DEC tek) and it will greatly increase the yield from each flush. You'll still get big ones like you have now, but there will be a lot more of them on each cake.

Also, did you dunk those cakes?

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 09:14 PM

I wonder if may be I should try to clone it

built a glovebox yet ?

#9 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 12:04 AM

Very nice. Congrats.

#10 sporesmen

sporesmen

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 06:46 AM

I have built a glove box. But I built it after I had some casings with a green mold go out of control. No matter what type of chemical I have tried to clean the glove box with, I still get contamination. I will have to build another glove box.

#11 nomoreusmc

nomoreusmc

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 02:46 PM

you might try some more air exchange, most molds love stale air

#12 sporesmen

sporesmen

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 10:02 AM

I have a question to ask. Do mushrooms decrease in potency after their first 4 flushes? I relize the cakes dont produce as much fruit because they are exhausting all the nutrients from the rice starch. The reason I ask is because I did not get same results from the last flush of mushrooms. It was not the same at all. Experience wise, the first through third flushes from B+ were accelerating supper body high filled with giggles and paranoia for aprox 8-10 hours. The last batch was about 1 hour worth of yay and bah mild mood altering and nothing more. Sort of disappointed.

Im a complete amateur when it comes to grow and experience...

I did not post the latest pic, but that same cake gave me another single fruit that weighted 24 grams. Its the largest mushroom I have ever growed so far.

#13 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 11:50 AM

i dont notice any potency increase or decrease to be honest. but ive actually heard the opposite , that they get more potent after the first flush, and then taper down again. or something to that effect. i personally think its all guestimation, and no human could tell the slight difference offhand.
*just my thoughts on this subject

#14 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 12:03 PM

On cakes IMHO, i think they get stonger through the flushes. As far as casings, the opposite. I noticed on my last round of casings that the fruit were quite weaker on the 3rd flush than they were on the first. Almost had to take double the amount of fungus from the third flush than you did on the first. Just my experience.

#15 Guest_texas_bob_*

Guest_texas_bob_*

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:17 AM

Just one of my casing on its second flush. 50/50 straw/cow manure and cased with 50/50 peat/verm the shrooms this flush were larger but not as many as the previous flush any who check it out.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4 003.jpg
  • 4 002.jpg
  • 4 001.jpg

#16 llama

llama

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 12:24 PM

Nice job. I'm gonna be starting some SAs in a few days, along with Texans. Can't wait.

#17 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 12:26 PM

FATTIES! Nice job man!

#18 sadsoul

sadsoul

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 12:49 PM

Nice shrooms my friend !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#19 Guest_texas_bob_*

Guest_texas_bob_*

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:04 PM

SA are an awesome all around strain. The fruit are either BIg as hell or there are a lot of them. The mycelium is a very fast and aggressive colonizer I have worked with and fruited Viet, Cambo, Tex, Z , and South Americans and the SA are my fav so far.

#20 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:22 PM

Those ar PHAT!!! What size is that tray? Keep us updated.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!