Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Coopoperative Gourmet/Medicinal Mushroom Farm?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,886 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

So, I am wondering if I have it in me to birth a cooperative gourmet/medicinal mushroom farm. I have some of the ingredients. I can do lots of things, construction/mechanical/electrical/you-name-it. I have a nine acre land base with a hardwood supply. I have water sources.

I'm not likely to learn to produce spawn or develop markets. I know my limitations. I'm getting too old to do serious grunt, but with strong allies, could see a viable infrastructure getting built.

I'm starting out poor with no intention of getting rich. Don't want anything to do with anyone looking to get rich, It's not about that. Looking for a right livelihood and not much else. So, looking for anyone looking for the same, and not afraid to work for it from scratch.

No capitalist need apply.

• Kmmfarm likes this

#2 LilBear

LilBear

Producer

• Expired Member
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

I'm game, fuck this financing/jumping through hoops bullshit.

I'd rather just drop everything I've managed to accomplish so far and hop on some simpler plan,
It ain't about the money, I just wanna grow some damn fungi, support myself, and do good,
isn't that enough collateral, you fucktard loan officers. here' take my soul! it's worth at least two installments of $19.99
  • stoffel likes this

#3 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,886 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

I drove for many hours yesterday to see, and subsequently put a down-payment on, a band-sawmill. The first step to building the infrastructure that will also produce a high grade sawdust. It was a pretty giant leap. Starting from scratch: there's a scratch, eh?

#4 Elliot Moondrake

Elliot Moondrake

Cultivating Positivity

• Expired Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

I have thoughts towards this sort of thing too Alder Logs. I think if you have 9 acres however, you should not limit the cooperative farm to just mushrooms! Consider a small tractor and do some veggies and fruits!! Many of these co-ops are community driven and the members will want to come to the farm and get their hands in the dirt.

"Elliot"

#5 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,886 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

I have nine shady acres. I don't want to clear them, just thin them as I go along. Thinned red alder grows even faster, tying up more carbon.

When I have tried to do veggie crops, they always have failed. The only thing I ever had great success growing was pot, and I haven't done that for over thirty years and am not looking to do anything illegal now.

Anyway, I am shit for a manager. That would have to fall to someone with those kinds of skills. I can't say if this thing will ever fall together. I have lived on next to nothing for decades and don't know if there are others willing to do the same to get it off the ground.

In all this, I have accumulated some machines, including a tractor and many implements. I have a 20 X 48 greenhouse frame out in the sunshine but haven't gotten it operational. When I get the mill, I can get the ends and sides on it and perhaps see it begin to work. My goal for that is just to feed myself and the crew.

Edited by Alder Logs, 06 January 2013 - 12:51 AM.

#6 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,480 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

I would be down if it didn't mean moving countries... I like it up hear.
If I came down there my medication and doctor visits would bankrupt us all lol

#7 MeriwetherLewis

MeriwetherLewis

Explorer & Naturalist

• Expired Member
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

what Geo area of the US are you in Alder if you don't mind my asking to see if there is any plausibility I could be of assistance.

#8 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,886 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

what Geo area of the US are you in Alder if you don't mind my asking to see if there is any plausibility I could be of assistance.

You must have missed: https://mycotopia.ne...ake-thread.html

#9 MeriwetherLewis

MeriwetherLewis

Explorer & Naturalist

• Expired Member
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

Holy shit am I fucking retarded or what. :hookah:

#10 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,886 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

So, where 'bouts is y'all?

#11 MeriwetherLewis

MeriwetherLewis

Explorer & Naturalist

• Expired Member
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

East coast ------> clear across :)

#12 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,886 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

East coast ------> clear across :)

Well yeah, I guess you'll be needing that guide. Watch out fer grizz.

#13 Elliot Moondrake

Elliot Moondrake

Cultivating Positivity

• Expired Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

Gulf Coast

#14 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,886 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

Gulf Coast

Well, we's gettin' 'em surrounded.

#15 shiitakegrower

shiitakegrower

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 454 posts

Donator

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:11 AM

Please keep me in mind I would love to join in on the project. I have been working on getting ready to do a small hobby farm type mushroom production setup. Ive worked with a number of edibles and medicinal mushrooms, I have also done agar and spawn production. I have a number of potential regular or seasonal buyers that I have spoken to in my area.

This could be awesome!:cacti:

#16 tricktek

tricktek

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

[quote name='Alder Logs']
The only thing I ever had great success growing was pot, and I haven't done that for over thirty years and am not looking to do anything illegal now.

Pot is fairly legal nowadays, at least in colorado, washington state.

#17 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,886 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

Pot is fairly legal nowadays, at least in colorado, washington state.

I believe that here in WA it is not legal to grow, except for a medical card holders few plants. I think the state will be granting some crony a monopoly.

#18 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

Besides oregon I think washington is one of the most liberal states for mj. It is decriminilized now even I believe. In MIchigan likely wash too you can be a caregiver without being disabled yourself! you should check it out.

Back to mushrooms. Im considering something small myself. 4.7 acres some poplar which grows very fast and alot of shrooms will accept it as spawn. a few maples which we wont cut most of those. We are getting logged right behind the property so there will be a shit ton of big ole pine stumps available for those types, which arent many. 2 types in fungi perfecti mag. says they like pine or fir. being state land I am going to chuck it full as possible and right behind my house too. there are thousands of stateland acres near my house so generally dont need to worry about others taking them all. room for all.

#19 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

You can always get into something to make sure you have regular access to cultures. trade with other topiat's. to always have a nice selection of mushrooms. there is room here for that type of buiseness since no other exists here in northern MI. resteraunts, health food stores, other farming co-ops. Im starting a small CSC garden and going to do alot of berries on my property. Have outdoor canning type parties ect. and a few animals to top it off lol.

#20 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,886 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Around here, the timber companies (and that includes the state) spray all sorts of herbicides and fungicides. Stamets warns against eating mushrooms from toxic environments, as they can, and do, accumulate toxins.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!