Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Coopoperative Gourmet/Medicinal Mushroom Farm?

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#41 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,494 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

Nice! Building material, Fuel and Substrate maker all in one!
Gotta love nature :D

#42 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,388 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:19 AM

:) you know u love mushrooms when there are technically more pictures of the sawdust lmao ;)

#43 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,412 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

I just got this book yesterday and this is the top story at Truthout today:

FATP-199x300.jpg

http://www.truth-out...of-american-dna

http://clearingthefo...lism-in-the-us/

#44 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 1,991 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Dang Bro, do I need to call you Dr. Logs now?

You sure got it going on with that bandsaw.

#45 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,412 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

I really didn't want a road connecting me to the county road, but it seems like I must have one for the farm to function. Today I paced off the best route to the shop site where constrction will start first. I will need about 400 feet of road built so that things like concrete trucks can get to it in the dry season. Most of 30 X 60 ground floor will be wood decking, not concrete. I will want that wooden deck for easily screwing down forms for laminating wooden arches for mushroom greenhouses, and later for building trippy domiciles.

About a dozen alders, one hemlock, one small knotty spruce,
and a few cascaras will be coming down before a cat comes in to finish leveling the shop site.

The days are getting longer and I want to see something start happening soon.

• stoffel likes this

#46 MeriwetherLewis

MeriwetherLewis

Explorer & Naturalist

• Expired Member
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

why couldn't you have done this somewhere warm near the water. When you have product, I'll have my graphic designers make you all the marketing material you need/build website/provide lead forms and email.

#47 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,412 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

It is mild here most of the year. We get only a few snowfalls per year and the snow usually doesn't hang around long. It does rain quite a lot, but that keeps things green.
There is a stream with cutthroat trout.

#48 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,412 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Though I have had the intention to build the autoclave, if someone were to find the right used one in the PNW, that would be just super. Any canneries closing down near you?

• Erkee likes this

#49 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

How's the new mill?

Come dry weather, I'm in for some camp/work weekends.

#50 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,412 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

How's the new mill?

I only got two used blades with the mill and I sawed through both sides of a big fence staple with one of them and it broke right after that. I have a bunch of new blades now but I didn't want to get back to sawing until I got a metal detector. I got a kid's toy one yesterday (treasure finder style) which should serve until I can get a wand type.

Also yesterday, I drove all day and got a 7 X 16 flatbed
decked car carrier that I will use for moving lumber and logs.

I think I will play with a few little Port Orford cedar pecker poles
today and try to make them into posts for sheltering my shiitake logs. after I check them for steel. That's what I was sawing when I hit the staple.

===========

Did you ever get that job you were looking for? What? Would I like fries with that?

#51 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 1,991 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Not sure how expensive new blades are, but you ought to be able to weld and grind them smooth and reuse if not too dull.

Guess the wand metal detector will mostly eliminate the need for that though. Send picture postcards! Your project is inspiring.

#52 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

I only got two used blades with the mill and I sawed through both sides of a big fence staple with one of them and it broke right after that. I have a bunch of new blades now but I didn't want to get back to sawing until I got a metal detector. I got a kid's toy one yesterday (treasure finder style) which should serve until I can get a wand type.

Also yesterday, I drove all day and got a 7 X 16 flatbed
decked car carrier that I will use for moving lumber and logs.

I think I will play with a few little Port Orford cedar pecker poles
today and try to make them into posts for sheltering my shiitake logs. after I check them for steel. That's what I was sawing when I hit the staple.

===========

Did you ever get that job you were looking for? What? Would I like fries with that?

When you first told me about the mill, I really had no idea exactly what you were talking about. I knew you were turning logs into milled lumber, but I knew nothing of the size, process, finished quality, and a comparison (cost & quality) vs purchased lumber. Then, a few nights ago I ran across a thread on contryplans.com (small home design/build forum) where a guy in Okanagon county was using a LT 10 portable mill to harvest lumber on his land for use in his on site cabin build. I haven't been able to stop thinking about milling lumber and the possibilities since.

Harbor freight has a metal detector for $45 not the wand style, but the kind you swing. It may be easier on your back to be able to walk the length of a log (while it's still on the ground) with the longer swing style than bending down to use the wand - how's your back feelin'?

Still no job, interviews, but no job. I've tweaked my approach becoming much more aggressive and confident in my cover letters and as a result I've received many more responses given the number I've sent out. It really just comes down to having a hard time telling someone what they want to hear to get a job - I can't do it. I can/could but it's just not how I roll.

Actually, I haven't applied at a "Would you like fries with that?" sort of place, yet. I honestly don't think they would hire me. If I was the hiring manager I know I wouldn't hire someone in a similar position as myself- as soon as something better came along I would walk and they know it.

Glad you've got a mill again. It's got to feel good.

#53 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,412 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

The toy I got was from Harbor Freight. They have two cheap wands online, but not in the store by the freeway in Portland where I checked yesterday.

Their wands are:

9 Volt Metal Detector Wand
Cen-Tech - item#94138
$39.99

Metal Detector
Cen-Tech - item#97245
$16.99

The cheap one I got yesterday was $39.99. I found two wires that went all the way through the middle of the first log I checked. Forget that.

I sawed up a knotty western red cedar today and one of those small Port Orfords.
I returned the borrowed jeep that I pulled the trailer home with.

Here's the trailer:

Trailer004.jpg

These are the pics from the Craigslist ad.

Attached Thumbnails

• Trailer001.jpg
  • Trailer002.jpg
  • Trailer003.jpg

#54 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

nice work so far alder.
i would come if i could,
be nice to travel and help out,
i'll see, depends on too many things atm.

very gracious of you to host this series of event
s.
nice place, lots of potential,
very open sounding co-op.
sounds like 'help and be welcome'

@:

edit1:
i was part of a bookstore co-op.
a one year commitment.
was: 'shared space, independent dealers, easy to browse'.
worked well.
an experiment in book retail and community sharing.
had one of the best credit systems around - ie. 'gave the most and even recorded for future purchase'
it was easy to give credit because it only cost more credit it seemed, a time limit, no matter how long, will grow a supply. people don't often come back to make claim so the supply grows and grows .. lol, sounding like a banker..
smallest store, big turnover.

shared a massive amount of books in that developing neighbourhood.
efforts to keep things running smoothly kept things running smoothly.

edit2:
looking at a retail outlet for 19 studio potters, wow.

Edited by Erkee, 02 February 2013 - 02:17 PM.

#55 Herbaljunkies

Herbaljunkies

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:21 AM

Nice information.

Kratom | Kava Kava | Herbal blends

#56 ALHpancyan

ALHpancyan

Prying open my 3rd eye

• Expired Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

I live in Texas with a supply of oak logs but I plan to move to Colorado. I have a similar dream being able to live a simple fruitful life growing and selling mushrooms locally.

It will be a small town about 2,000 people in south west/ central Colorado.

Best of luck with your venture. This thread is extremely interesting! Keep up the hard work!!

ALH

#57 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,412 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

With the two big Douglas firs I was given now on the ground, I have started making lumber for the shop and farm buildings. After dealing with the third log down from the top, I am starting to freak out at how I am going to move the fatter logs as I work my way down the first tree. I cut this one to 16 foot log, and milled it up into 2X6s today. It was 16 inches on the small end, and weighed so much that my tractor could barely carry it on my homemade log forks.

With the lower end of the bigger tree being 34 inches, I am wondering how I will move those really fat logs to the mill. It might take two tractors to drag them. I don't like dragging them, as it tears up the ground and gets the logs all muddy, which has to be cleaned to keep from dulling the blade.

Then there is the weight of the lumber itself. It was all I could do to move the
sapwood slabs and flitches. The sapwood is like lead. Should have been a two man job, at least.

With the latest development being the first shiitakes on my alder logs, I will need to construct some fruiting racks really soon. Also, with the weather starting to warm, I noticed the first signs of trichoderma reappearing today. I have to construct cover from the nearly constant rains. When it was good and cold, there wasn't any mold, so I just put doing that off.

I am quite sore tonight. It was a long day at the future farm.

• wildedibles likes this

#58 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 1,991 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

Only thing I can come up with is to cut them maybe to 8' length for studs, but I recon you are a clever guy and will work it out somehow.

#59 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,412 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

When I get down to those big logs, it will be a lot of CVG (clear vertical grain) fir. The current quote is $3.00 per board foot. So I will be thinking trim and paneling and the likes of that. So with that, 8 and 10 feet will be good. Now it's looking like I will be needing a lumber kiln. Oh goody, another project. I don't mind framing with green fir, but for finish work, it has to be dried. Perhaps I will have it dried when the time comes to use it.

#60 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,388 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

ya wood shrinks as it dries out
make sure it is piled right might dry a bit wait you get lots of rain lol
sending good vibes your way bud
get a kiln made know u can do it ;)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!