Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Coopoperative Gourmet/Medicinal Mushroom Farm?

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#121 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,211 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:35 PM

Well I'm old and steadily turning to compost, so you never know.

I don't know if I could do Canada and return stateside.

Glad to hear you're doing well.

#122 BushwickBill

BushwickBill

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:56 PM

Canada's wonderful but prolonged periods of -20ÂșC aren't something i'm trying to build into my long-term plan.  If I can get support from the boss lady (actual boss, not married) I'll be spending this february in Costa Rica helping establish some edible cultivation projects so hopefully I can gain some experience on a larger scale.

Come to think of it though, I do have some contacts in the PNW on another board who would be sympathetic to the cause, maybe could help you find some strong hands to make the work lighter.  Just let me know what area you're in and what you need done and I'll reach out.

• Alder Logs likes this

#123 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,211 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:34 PM

Something tells me Costa Rica would be hard to get over as well.

I'm near Astoria, OR and the Columbia River.

I kind of gave up the farm notion and thinking of a coop wood shop to build laminated wood greenhouse frames. The shop is the current project.  The footings will be a challenge for one old guy.  If they were in I could go to framing it up.  The construction will be somewhat unique.  I will try to build it for the coming 9+ Richter subduction quake.  It's basically going to be stage framed, but sheeted with diagonal strips of wood rather than plywood or OSB.  I can't make those myself.

#124 stoffel

stoffel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:12 AM

that is one big project :o you are like a swiss army knife alder logs. 

I enjoyed reading this, hope your machinery finaly will cooperate with you :)

very cool, and a very beautifull place you have. i envy you.

stoffel

• Alder Logs likes this

#125 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,211 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:47 AM

Well, whatever happens, happens.  There is happiness, one way, or trillions of other potential ways.  Any moment now, a butterfly may flap a wing in Peru and things will go some other direction.   While I can move, I'll try to do something or other.  I would rather let the universe, and the intentions behind the whole of it, work its magic, and just be available, acting humbly as its creation.  If my ideas are meant to be, there will be the way.

• stoffel likes this

#126 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,211 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:48 PM

While my thread is pretty dead as far as its initial intention is concerned, as I have spent much of what I was going to capitalize the venture with, I remain dedicated to the idea of cooperative, worker owned, businesses.  I am waking this up to post this video about cooperatives and a realistic view of capitalism, as it exists today.

I hope this is enjoyed.

[Direct Link]

Here's why:

[Direct Link]

Edited by Alder Logs, 08 December 2016 - 09:38 PM.

#127 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

I'm hoping to get bigger with my venture this spring.  I've already got one guy that wants to apprentice under me.  If someone else wants to try the whole cooperative model they can but for me I'm doing more of a top down ownership model.  I just haven't seen that most people have the ability to cooperate without some ultimate authority making some calls about who can't play well with others.

I can rent land here for just about nothing although it gets cold like a mofo in the winter.  Summer time though mushrooms for miles and miles and miles. 

Basically my biggest expenses will be for fencing off the main area where I grow some but also process the product sourced in the woods.  Winter time would be busy full filling internet orders.

I've got everything laid out but am pretty short on cash.  But if I can pull off a few more big harvests that final pin will drop into place.

I'm thinking of taking on numbers of apprentices in the summer and training them on the entire process.  Then setting them up in business for themselves taking a small percentage of their profits which would drop the longer they are in business.  Eventually it would be like a franchise operation.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!