Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Coopoperative Gourmet/Medicinal Mushroom Farm?

• Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

#121 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• Black VIP
  • 10,074 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:35 PM

Well I'm old and steadily turning to compost, so you never know.

I don't know if I could do Canada and return stateside.

Glad to hear you're doing well.

#122 BushwickBill

BushwickBill

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:56 PM

Canada's wonderful but prolonged periods of -20ºC aren't something i'm trying to build into my long-term plan.  If I can get support from the boss lady (actual boss, not married) I'll be spending this february in Costa Rica helping establish some edible cultivation projects so hopefully I can gain some experience on a larger scale.

Come to think of it though, I do have some contacts in the PNW on another board who would be sympathetic to the cause, maybe could help you find some strong hands to make the work lighter.  Just let me know what area you're in and what you need done and I'll reach out.

• Alder Logs likes this

#123 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,074 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:34 PM

Something tells me Costa Rica would be hard to get over as well.

I'm near Astoria, OR and the Columbia River.

I kind of gave up the farm notion and thinking of a coop wood shop to build laminated wood greenhouse frames. The shop is the current project.  The footings will be a challenge for one old guy.  If they were in I could go to framing it up.  The construction will be somewhat unique.  I will try to build it for the coming 9+ Richter subduction quake.  It's basically going to be stage framed, but sheeted with diagonal strips of wood rather than plywood or OSB.  I can't make those myself.

#124 stoffel

stoffel

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:12 AM

that is one big project :o you are like a swiss army knife alder logs. 

I enjoyed reading this, hope your machinery finaly will cooperate with you :)

very cool, and a very beautifull place you have. i envy you.

stoffel

• Alder Logs likes this

#125 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,074 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:47 AM

Well, whatever happens, happens.  There is happiness, one way, or trillions of other potential ways.  Any moment now, a butterfly may flap a wing in Peru and things will go some other direction.   While I can move, I'll try to do something or other.  I would rather let the universe, and the intentions behind the whole of it, work its magic, and just be available, acting humbly as its creation.  If my ideas are meant to be, there will be the way.

• stoffel likes this

#126 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,074 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:48 PM

While my thread is pretty dead as far as its initial intention is concerned, as I have spent much of what I was going to capitalize the venture with, I remain dedicated to the idea of cooperative, worker owned, businesses.  I am waking this up to post this video about cooperatives and a realistic view of capitalism, as it exists today.

I hope this is enjoyed.

[Direct Link]

Here's why:

[Direct Link]

Edited by Alder Logs, 08 December 2016 - 09:38 PM.

#127 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 574 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

I'm hoping to get bigger with my venture this spring.  I've already got one guy that wants to apprentice under me.  If someone else wants to try the whole cooperative model they can but for me I'm doing more of a top down ownership model.  I just haven't seen that most people have the ability to cooperate without some ultimate authority making some calls about who can't play well with others.

I can rent land here for just about nothing although it gets cold like a mofo in the winter.  Summer time though mushrooms for miles and miles and miles. 

Basically my biggest expenses will be for fencing off the main area where I grow some but also process the product sourced in the woods.  Winter time would be busy full filling internet orders.

I've got everything laid out but am pretty short on cash.  But if I can pull off a few more big harvests that final pin will drop into place.

I'm thinking of taking on numbers of apprentices in the summer and training them on the entire process.  Then setting them up in business for themselves taking a small percentage of their profits which would drop the longer they are in business.  Eventually it would be like a franchise operation.

#128 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:19 AM

I'm on the opposite side of the big turtle island or I'd already have introduced myself to Alder..................... course I'm no spring chicken either.............

#129 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,074 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:26 AM

Need to move this dried lumber to  a dry storage where it can be accessible.   Don't have that storage, so I have to build it. 

gallery_131808_1489_59298.jpg

These posts are almost 14 feet tall.   They will be joined by 16 and 20 foot 3X9 beams at the top, which is why I needed to put up these scaffolds. 

gallery_131808_1489_30853.jpg

gallery_131808_1489_132368.jpg

The planks are 10 foot red cedar 2X12s.   The log I sawed them from was very wet.  They will be light when they are finally dry, but it was a real workout getting them up there by myself.   I have a set of Craigslist trusses and cedar shakes, also from Craigslist, to top this.   The finished roof will cover 21' by 22' on the 20' by 16' frame.   This is right next to the shop site and will be an excellent place to have the sawmill once the shop is built.

• Arathu and Heirloom like this

#130 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:41 PM

That's freaking AWESOME Alder......................the continent is too damned big..............or I'd be in your pictures and tired with you............

I'm rapidly moving forward in my understanding and skills with growing these edibles.........please be careful..........

A

• Alder Logs and Heirloom like this

#131 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,074 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:28 PM

I have spent the past two days making railings for the scaffolds.   The only person helping me on this is another old man, and he said he wasn't comfortable up on the planks without railings.  

Ten foot Douglas fir butt log, too large on the butt for the mill.

But, it was the only ten footer I had.

The tractors could not lift it, so I had to push it to the mill

and let the mill's hydraulic loader pick it up and on.

gallery_131808_1489_41128.jpg

Three corners needed this chainsaw work for the saw to clear.

Logs this big lead to hours of fiddle-fuckin' around.

Just slabbing and squaring took half the day.

gallery_131808_1489_54197.jpg

All I wanted were the flitches yesterday. I put this huge cant up on blocks in a shady spot.
Sawed three of the flitches into the 2X3s for the scaffold railings.

gallery_131808_1489_55654.jpg

Today, I planed these 2X3 boards on all four sides.

Twelve ten foot railings took almost 500 feet of 3/8" rounding over with the router,

and 24 1.5" punches with a hole saw.

gallery_131808_1489_45020.jpg

One scaffold, shot from the other.

gallery_131808_1489_87348.jpg

Just need some volunteer grunt now to pull the 20 foot 3X9s up, as soon as the posts are notched and ready for them.

I need to go to town early in this week to get some lag bolts to tie the beams into the posts.  Below the top beams will be four or five feet of trusswork to stiffen the whole thing.  Those posts are almost 14 feet tall.  That will still give me 9 feet of side opening to bring stacks of lumber in on the forks.   The trusswork will allow lots of the dried lumber to be stood on end and so, sorted and accessible.  Stacks are a pain to work with, because what you want is always on the bottom.

Edited by Alder Logs, 30 July 2017 - 10:48 PM.

• Arathu, Juthro, Heirloom and 1 other like this

#132 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,264 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:32 AM

"...and after enlightenment, cut wood and carry water."

• Alder Logs, Juthro, Heirloom and 1 other like this

#133 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:43 PM

"............get tractor and power mill with PTO and pumps..................make hot tub and sauna........"

A

• Juthro and Spooner like this

#134 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,074 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:34 PM

It's a sauna on the site this afternoon!   It's 92 up here at the cabin.  Has to be high 90s down there right now.   The forecast is for 98 on Thursday and 97 tomorrow.  Today was supposed to be 90.  We're not used to this around here.  Going shopping tomorrow and will pick up the bolts in a cooler Astoria.

Got an early start (for me), trying to beat the heat.  If I had started a half hour earlier, I would have finished in the last of the morning's shade.   That shop site is in the sun the rest of the day until late.

Today I notched two sides of the tops of the posts.   Made 2 inch ledges for the 3 inch beams to sit on, with a strong tenon left to tie everything in the corners together.   Took four and a half hours to do just that.  Forgot to take the camera, so I just went down there into the virtual sauna to take these pics.

I'm lousy with a circular saw, always have been.   So, I screwed fences on the posts for the initial cuts.  Had to move the railings aside for some of the cuts.   Finished the cuts with a handsaw and chisels.  That Port Orford cedar is some tough and strong stuff. Very rot resistant heartwood (and I painted the parts in the ground with the green smelly shit).  Some Scots nurseryman took PO cedar back to Edinburgh and got it named Lawson cypress after himself.  It only lives about twenty or thirty years here because a root rot gets it.  Too bad, because I really love the stuff.

https://oregonencycl...r/#.WYDY3CeQygA

The 3x9s will stand out an inch from the posts, which are placed 2 inches short of the 16 and 20 foot measure.   I don't know why I did it that way.  Just an idea.  Leaves more meat in that tenon to bolt the three-by's through.   I think I may not lag bolt the top beams to the tenons, but through bolt them with nuts and washers, while still lag bolting the lapping beams to each other into the end grain with good long lags (through the 20s and into the end grain of the 16s).

Zoomed in on the northeast corner here:

gallery_131808_1489_90257.jpg

Closeup of southwest corner:

gallery_131808_1489_15693.jpg

Here's the power on the site:

gallery_131808_1489_46971.jpg

I have to pack all the tools I use in and out,

as tweakers are everywhere;

gallery_131808_1489_71660.jpg

Edited by Alder Logs, 01 August 2017 - 05:38 PM.

• Arathu, Juthro, Spooner and 2 others like this

#135 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,074 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:38 PM

Had a young, strong, Topian couple join me this weekend to help out with a couple projects I would have been hard pressed to have pulled off alone.  Got the 20' and 16' top beams up on the posts.   The 20s are bolted into place and the 16s are clamped and waiting to be bolted.  Also, all my Douglas fir logs from a big tree that was beetle killed last summer have been slabbed off and squared up and placed on cribs to cut off the lifelines of the carpenter ants that have just begun invading them.  This was an emergency matter, and today, with this wonderful help, all the flitches have been lifted back onto the mill and edged and cut into lumber.  It was a big pile of them that made two tractor fork loads of various two-by lumber.   Tomorrow morning I will try to get the beams all bolted in.   Pictures coming.

• coorsmikey, Arathu, Juthro and 2 others like this

#136 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

Awesome man...............can't wait to see...........

A

• Alder Logs likes this

#137 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,164 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

I'm glad your project is moving forward my friend. Bless the strong backs that you recruited to help you. You picked some dang hot weather to work in, but at least it wasn't raining on you.

Looking forward to the pics.

Side note: I was thinking of getting myself that same model generator. How do you like yours?
  • Shroomesis likes this

#138 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,074 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:55 PM

I was thinking of getting myself that same model generator. How do you like yours?

I fucking love it.  I got mine used for $500.   I just let one get away on Craigslist for the same price because it said OBO, and I hesitated.  The ad was pulled soon after that.  Costco had another brand for way less than the Honda, but those I have no experience with.  The Honda is pretty quiet, especially in the energy saver mode.   It makes my power tools all portable, and lights my cabin and powers my electronics when we have our frequent power outages.   The fridge and water heater are on separate circuits from the lights and cabin outlets.   That little genny ran my compressor this morning so I could use the impact wrench to push the lag bolts.   

Forgot the camera again.   Will take it down there when I finish my lunch.    Just gotta hope I have internet when I get back.  C-Link has been fucking us exceptionally hard with their crappy DSL for a couple weeks.  Never know when it will be working or not.

• Juthro likes this

#139 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,164 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:59 PM

Thanks Alder, I have a very high opinion of Honda small engines and was hoping to hear that.

#140 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,074 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:10 PM

Four 3/8X6 and 3/8X5.5 galvanized bolts through the tenons. 

gallery_131808_1489_6486.jpg

Three 3/8X6 lag bolts tie the 3X9s together.  Flat washers on all the bolts.

gallery_131808_1489_21753.jpg

The north 3X9X20 had a quarter inch of twist in it so I used a big ratchet strap to pull the twist out before putting in the lags.

gallery_131808_1489_70543.jpg

gallery_131808_1489_84013.jpg

The sixteen foot Craigslist trusses are leaning against the tarped thirty two foot Craigslist trusses for the shop roof.   Also under those tarps are 54 2X10X16 floor joists for the shop floor.   That floor will be to code for a parking garage floor(except that my homemade lumber has not been officially graded, and is better than code).

gallery_131808_1489_137724.jpg

All the logs are squared up and on cribs in a shady spot. Need to get these sawed into lumber soon before they deeply check. But, the carpenter ants' progress has been stopped.

gallery_131808_1489_23007.jpg

Big thanks for all the help sawing those flitches an dragging those beams up with ropes from the top of the scaffolds.   You know who you are.

At the end of the day, the top of this was only 5/8" out of square when all the bolts were in and tightened! The diagonal ratchet strap has it square with only a slight pull.

gallery_131808_1489_29570.jpg

• coorsmikey, Arathu, Juthro and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!