46 replies to this topic

#1 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

I have been wanting to do an edible thread on bark for awhile so here it is finally :)

I have tried some bark last winter just a nibble cause I was curious after reading lots of survival tips on what to eat in the woods when all the plants are dead for the winter.

Living up North we get lots of snow and some people think that they would starve if lost in the woods during winter I knew this not to be the case we are surrounded by food.

I would say hunting or trapping is a must to get your meat to survive but I knew the trees are edible too and really wanted to look more into this.

When I first tried bark I thought it would taste like dirt and was surprised when it didn't take on this texture at all it was crunchy but not sandy for some reason I thought it be like eating sand lol.

So here is a list of trees that the bark can be eaten Pines, Slippery elm, Black Birch, Yellow birch, Red spruce, Black spruce, Balsam fir, Tamarack.

I found these 2 links as well
showing some possible health benefits and sources of Vitamin C and E very high in antioxidants, fiber, and others .... More studies are being done on different barks as the interest in nutritional food is increasing also some people are trying to plan for a time that they need to collect their own food and are looking to the trees for help :)

http://www.cancer.or...ne-bark-extract

"How is it promoted for use?
Proponents claim that pine bark extract is a powerful antioxidant. Antioxidants are compounds that block the action of free radicals, activated oxygen molecules that can damage cells. Supporters believe pine bark extract protects against arthritis, complications from diabetes, cancer, heart disease, and problems with circulation such as swelling and varicose veins. Other reported benefits include improved memory, fewer effects from stress, better joint flexibility, and decreased inflammation. Some claim that pine bark extract supplements are much more effective in eliminating free radicals than vitamins C and E. "

"What is the evidence?
There are not enough data from clinical trials to support most of the health claims made for any form of pine bark extract, although interest in proanthocyanidins among medical researchers is growing. There are reports from small human studies that pine bark extract may be helpful in treating circulation disorders. One clinical trial began in August 2003 to find out whether pycnogenol helps reduce lymphedema (swelling from fluid buildup, which can occur after procedures in which lymph nodes are affected) after treatment for breast cancer. This study was still recruiting patients as of early 2007.
A small human study found that a single high dose of pine bark extract in the form of a bioflavonoid mixture was effective in reducing platelet clumping in smokers for more than three days, which would be expected to reduce blood clotting. This may mean that pine bark extract could lower risk for stroke or heart attack, but clinical studies to find out whether this is true have not been done.
Some small brief studies have been done to look at pine bark extract’s possible usefulness in treating asthma, menstrual pain, blood clots and leg swelling during long airplane flights, retinal disease in diabetics, high cholesterol, and other disorders. All of these studies need to be done on larger groups of people under carefully controlled conditions to find out whether pine bark extract actually helps any of these problems.
Studies also suggest pine bark extract has antioxidant properties, which are sometimes helpful in reducing cancer risk. Further research is needed to find out whether pine bark extract may have any benefit for preventing or treating cancer."

"Pine bark extract has been reported to be safe. Some people report mild problems such as headache, nausea, and upset stomach. Not much is known about possible interactions with other drugs and herbs. Always tell your doctor and pharmacist about any herbs or supplements you are taking.

Allergic reactions to pine are possible, although reactions to pine bark extract have not been reported in the available medical literature. Pine bark extract has not been studied in pregnant or breast-feeding women. Relying on this type of treatment alone and avoiding or delaying conventional medical care for cancer may have serious health consequences."

http://survival.outd...y-eat-tree-bark

"Yes, you can eat tree bark as a safe and nutritious wild food--as long as you are using the right part of the bark from the right species of tree. And to clarify, we are not talking about the crusty, corky grey part of the bark. The bark section of choice for food is the cambium layer, which lies right next to the wood.

Plenty of our ancestors used this edible inner layer of tree bark as both food and medicine. Many Native American cultures included the inner bark of pines and other trees as an important staple of their diet. This use was so common in some areas that early explorers visiting North America recorded acres of trees stripped of bark for food by the locals.
In Sweden and Finland, Pine bark bread has been made for centuries from rye flour, with the toasted and ground inner layer of pine bark added. The Sami people of northern Europe used large sheets of Pine bark that were peeled from the trees in springtime, dried out and stored for use as a staple food throughout the year. This bark was reportedly consumed fresh, dried or roasted to a crisp.
Inner tree bark can be obtained in large amounts year round, just by “skinning” a single tree, or by taking advantage of living limbs that have broken off during storms. The bark is relatively nutritious, packing about 500-600 calories to the pound, but it may be bitter tasting depending on the species and the tree’s growing conditions. Most inner bark contains a surprising amount of digestible starches, some sugar, vitamins, minerals, and the bark also has tons of fiber, so brace yourself for a good internal scrubbing.
At least one Native tribe is well known for making bark an important part of their daily diet. There is a tribe in the mountains of upstate New York called the “Adirondack”, and that name translates to “bark eaters” from the Iroquois language.
Which Trees Have An Edible Bark?
Trees on the edible inner bark list include most of the Pines, Slippery Elm, Black Birch, Yellow Birch, Red Spruce, Black Spruce, Balsam Fir and Tamarack.
Of all the contenders, Pine seems to be the genus of choice around the Northern Hemisphere, being used the most by our forebears. In fact, most species of Pine in North America should be considered “edible plants”. The inner bark and Pine nuts can be eaten as food. A spoonful of chopped Pine needles can be steeped in a cup of hot water for 10 minutes to make Pine Needle Tea, which is a Vitamin C powerhouse (one cup of tea containing as much as 5 times your daily requirement).
Warning: Pine Needle Tea, and eating Pine needles, may be harmful to unborn babies--so find something else to snack on if you have a bun in the oven. Also, there is some question about toxins in the needles of the western Ponderosa Pine and the southeastern Loblolly Pine, so these two should be avoided for tea.
Harvest and Preparation
This first job is to positively identify the tree species with a reputable tree book, or an actual tree expert.
Next, we need to shave off the grey, outer bark; and the greenish middle layer of bark; to get down to the rubbery, white or cream colored inner layer. If you shave too deeply, you’ll feel the difference between the tree wood and bark. The bark feels much softer. The tree wood is hard and seems slick to your knife blade. Cut and peel off the whitish, rubbery inner bark. This is what you are after.
If you would like to fry the bark to eat it now, you can use the bark fresh from the tree. Just fry the bark strips for a few minutes on each side, in a pan with a few spoons of oil, unit it becomes crispy. I like to call this “Bark Jerky”, which is a close estimate of the texture, but not the flavor. Pine bark tastes like Pine sawdust, because it pretty much is sawdust, so you’ll want to find creative ways to blend it into other foods so that it goes down easier.
If you want to make flour from the bark, or just save it for later, the next step is to process the bark by drying it. Drying the bark in the sun on a rack or on a flat rock is your best bet, if you are not using the bark right away. It should take about a day to dry the bark strips, depending on the weather and the bark strip size. Once dried, you can create the fabled pine bark flour, which actually resembles oatmeal more than wheat flour. If you want to go old school, you can grind up the dried bark between two stones, but a faster way is to drop pieces in a blender or food chopper. Pulse the device to powder the bark, and then store it in a cool dark place.
Pine Bark Cookies
Gain a massive amount of “trail cred” by breaking out some Pine Bark cookies on your next hunt or hike. An easy path to success is to modify your favorite oatmeal cookie recipe, by switching half of the oatmeal for Pine bark flour. My family recipe for oatmeal cookies is normally 2 cups of quick cook dry oatmeal, so I just drop that to one cup of oatmeal and add one cup of Pine bark flour for a chewy and piney, yet strangely delectable treat."

Adding some bark flour to a reg recipe might just boost the nutrient content FOR FREE ;) its worth a try :)

I will be adding pictures of trees and the process for removing the bark and drying it as well .....

Anyone with any knowledge or experience of using bark for food or other uses is welcome to share their experiences and a thanks for your help in advance I believe with our large trees there is a hidden potential for free and local foods no matter where you live ..... ok some places do not have trees but most of us do have trees and look up at them every day ;)
  • teesus, pharmer, SillyCone and 2 others like this

#2 captaincactuscakes

captaincactuscakes

biophile

• Expired Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

Mmm bark! I go camping a lot, ever since I was little, and bark has always been a go to survival food. I've always harvested from limbs with a machete. I've never had need for larger amounts and I would hate to see a tree stripped at its base. Pine bark has a different flavor but not bad. In the spring, the budding needles are also edible and quite delicious. They make a good addition to a salad (which is another item that can be easily sourced locally) there is food all around us, if the need is there, but I still bring a bag of potatoes and steaks ;)
  • wildedibles likes this

#3 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

Ya I wouldnt want to see trees killed for a little bit of bark

But taking branches / Limbs off ... the trees recover as many of us know

Birch bark is on to be careful with cause u can easily pull the outer bark off
but doing this if you go all the way around you can kill the whole tree

I harvested a few branches tiny ones at the moment to try a few things and take some pictures
this would be a good thing to remember durring storms
we had a big Spruce tree come down this summer in a storm
gathering the bark would have been easy
Still have some big blocks of it

one thing I guess is that can you take bark from trees that are not living anymore ?
or do they still have to be living
maybe all depends if mushrooms have started eating it and which mushrooms
I can see this getting really confusing really quickly ;)

And the Identification of trees is very important
Cherry bark can be used medicinally but there is toxins in the bark too
a little can help with coughs a lot can be harmful
I promised pictures ;) I will get some up soon .....

#4 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

We have a few different variety's of Spruce where I live in Ontario and it seems like they can interbreed .... We have Red, Black and White Spruce some people have planted Blue Spruce as well in their yards

Here are some pictures of the Bark on the trunks of the trees this tree is an older big tree at my Mom's house notice the Red bark under the brown / gray bark.
IMG_1804.JPG
I am not postitive if this is the same tree as the older one or if it is a different Spruce notice the scaly bark finer than above
there is also a root there this tree fell down at my moms house during a storm notice the shallow root system ... Spruce do come down a lot in storms due to their shallow root systems that heave in the winter due to frost...
IMG_1807.JPG
There is a Spruce and a White Pine
Spruce to the left and Pine to the right notice how different the silhouette is
IMG_1450.JPG
and the needles I want to get a better picture of the needles I will work on this today but notice how they go all the way around Balsam have almost a flat branch with the needles cause they only come off two sides I will take a comparison picture today too to explain what I am talking about :)
IMG_1814.JPG

The following information from
Peterson Field Guides
Edible Wild Plants
"uses: cooked vegetable, flour, chewing gum. In emergencies the tender leading shoots can be striped of their needles and boiled," and the inner bark can be dried and ground to make a flour this flour can be used on its own or mixed with regular flour to extend it in hard times. "The condensed and hardened sap, or pitch, is a familiar north woods substitute for chewing gum"

LMAO I remember my Dad and Grandpa telling me I can chew this like gum as a kid well I tried it and spit it out looked at them funny like they were nuts lol it is not sweet that's for sure but reading about it more and more over the years it is very nutritious ... I actually have some pitch I saved from the big Spruce that fell durring the storm this summer the pitch was all over the trunk of the tree especially where the limbs were cut off the tree the year b4 it leaked out I guess you would say.
I saved this pitch to make some pain rubs or when you are sick you can use it as a chest rub too ;)

This info from the Medicinal Plants of Peterson Field Guides
uses: (Black Spruce Picea mariana)
"American Indians poulticed inner bark on inflammations. Inner bark tea a folk medicine for kidney stones, stomach problems, and rheumatism. Resin poulticed on sores to promote healing. Needles used to make a beer that was drunk for scurvy.
Warning: Sawdust, resin, and even the needles may produce dermatitis" ( I havent had an issue with this but u never know some might be sensitive to it and you never know until you try new food if you have allergies to it so try a little bit of new food at a time and wait for any reactions)

"uses: (Red Spruce Picea rubens)
American Indians used tea of boughs for colds and to " break out measles". Pitch formerly poulticed on rheumatic joints, chest, and stomach to relieve congestion and pain.
Warning: see under Black Spruce (above)."

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1802.JPG
  • IMG_1803.JPG
  • IMG_1810.JPG
  • IMG_1813.JPG
  • IMG_1492.JPG
  • IMG_1451.JPG
  • IMG_1452.JPG
  • IMG_1491.JPG

Edited by wildedibles, 01 January 2013 - 07:50 AM.

#5 AGAMA

AGAMA

Open Your Eyes And Realize That We Are One

• Site Administrator
  • 5,094 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

VERY interesting topic!
Thanx for the thread, wildedibles!:eusa_clap
  • wildedibles likes this

#6 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:03 AM

Here are some more pictures of some big Spruce trees

A friend reminded me that older tree bark looks different than younger tree bark

He also told me that the regular Spruce is in the woods and the Swamp Spruce is in swamps or low areas which have more dampness

I am going to check out an area I go mushroom hunting all the time and get some pictures of Swamp Spruce ( gotta love common names lol )

IMG_2206.JPG

IMG_2212.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2216.JPG

I have some sap from spruce that I saved and I am going to make a pain rub for a friend today
thinking about warming and mixing it in the crock pot
I do not want this mix getting too hot and burn the sap that's why I am thinking about using the crock pot
I will heat it with a fat to warm and melt the sap / resin

maybe mix a bit of lard with olive oil and the the sap ( do not heat olive oil too hot ) this should mix up cause resin is mostly oils any debri would sink to the bottom and can be strained out
With the crock pot I will start on warm cause I do not want this mix to burn I want it all to melt slowly

a tip to clean resin or pitch off anything including your hands is to use cooking oils it will dissolve / remove it from anything
to get the oils off use reg soap and everything is all clean again including the crock pot ;)

I will take pictures of this process :)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2196.JPG
  • IMG_2204.JPG
  • IMG_2207.JPG
  • IMG_2208.JPG
  • IMG_2209.JPG
  • IMG_2210.JPG
  • IMG_2211.JPG
  • IMG_2214.JPG

#7 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

IMG_2219.JPG Supplies Spruce sap, Olive oil, Lard, 1/4 cup measuring cup, knife and crock pot.

IMG_2225.JPG 1/4 cup of Spruce sap

IMG_2236.JPG 1/8 cup of Olive oil

IMG_2233.JPG 1/4 cup of Lard

IMG_2238.JPG just a bit less than 1/8 cup maybe 1/16 cup of vegetable oil this helps the olive oil so it will not burn

IMG_2253.JPG Place it all in the crock pot and turn it on warm.
It is important not to burn this mix ....

If you do not have a crock pot a double boiler will work just fine
( I like the crock pot cause u just have to stir it once in a while with a double boiler do not leave it unattended and stir more often)

IMG_2288.JPG Even on warm it melts up quickly

Now my dirty sticky pitchy knife :)
b4 I added the oil to the pot I used a tiny bit on my knife see how clean the oil gets it ... it worked on my fingers too ;)
IMG_2249.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2217.JPG
  • IMG_2240.JPG
  • IMG_2243.JPG
  • IMG_2287.JPG

Edited by wildedibles, 02 January 2013 - 08:03 AM.

#8 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

IMG_2295.JPG I almost forgot I added some Yarrow about a 1/4 cup or just under that depending on if it is powdered or not the more fine the grind the less you would add ... say if it was powdered Yarrow I would only use a 1/16 of a cup If it is whole herb like what I have just under a 1/4 cup will do just fine

I add Yarrow because my friend has Blood clotting issues and Yarrow can thin the blood too but usually has a quality to ballance its hard to explain but I found that a mix of a blood thinner and Yarrow it wont thin the blood as much

.. Now its good to note that my friend has blood work done once or twice a week to check her clotting factors and discusses the herbals used in creams as well as the ones she takes internally with her Doctor.

This is important cause creams do get absorbed by the body

IMG_2290.JPG Here is a picture of everything melted up really nice.

I will keep this nice and warm for a few hours so it can steep in and mix everything up together b4 straining it all out.

http://en.wikipedia....lea_millefolium

"In antiquity, yarrow was known as herbal militaris, for its use in staunching the flow of blood from wounds.[2] Other common names for this species include gordaldo, nosebleed plant, old man's pepper, devil's nettle, sanguinary, milfoil, soldier's woundwort, thousand-leaf, and thousand-seal."
(... see it can cause clotting too so mixing it with a thinning blood herbal balances it out)

"
A. millefolium has seen historical use as a medicine, often because of its astringent effects.[1] Decoctions have been used to treat inflammations, such as hemorrhoids, and headaches. Confusingly, it has been said to both stop bleeding and promote it. (Depending on the form it is administered, it can do both, which is why when dabbling in using herbs for medicine it is proper to contact a herbalist or other expert. A. millefolium has been used with great success in promoting blood flow, as well as staunching blood flow when properly used.)[citation needed] Infusions of yarrow, taken either internally or externally, are said[by whom?] to speed recovery from severe bruising. The most medicinally active part of the plant is the flowering tops. They also have a mild stimulant effect, and have been used as a snuff. Today, yarrow is valued mainly for its action in colds and influenza, and also for its effect on the circulatory, digestive, excretory, and urinary systems. In the 19th century, yarrow was said to have a greater number of indications than any other herb.[citation needed]
Possible antiallergenic compounds can be extracted from the flowers by steam distillation.[citation needed] The flowers are used to treat various allergic mucus problems, including hay fever. Flowers used in this way are harvested in summer or autumn, and an infusion drunk for upper respiratory phlegm or used externally as a wash for eczema.[citation needed]
The dark blue essential oil, extracted by steam distillation of the flowers, is generally used as an anti-inflammatory[12] or in chest rubs for colds and influenza. [13]
The leaves encourage clotting, so it can be used fresh for nosebleeds.[14] The aerial parts of the plant are used for phlegm conditions, as a bitter digestive tonic to encourage bile flow, and as a diuretic.[15] The aerial parts act as a tonic for the blood, stimulate the circulation, and can be used for high blood pressure; it is also useful in menstrual disorders, and as an effective sweating remedy to bring down fevers.[1]
Yarrow intensifies the medicinal action of other herbs taken with it,[16] and helps eliminate toxins from the body[citation needed]. It is reported[17] to be associated with the treatment of the following ailments:
Pain,[18] amenorrhea, antiphlogistic,[19][20] bleeding, blood clots, blood pressure (lowers), blood purifier, blood vessels (tones), catarrh (acute, repertory), colds, chicken pox, circulation, contraceptive (unproven), cystitis, diabetes, digestion (stimulates), gastrointestinal disorders,[19] choleretic [21] dyspepsia, eczema, fevers, flu, gastritis, gum ailments, heartbeat (slow), influenza, inflammation,[22] emmenagogue,[23] internal bleeding, liver (stimulates and regulates), lungs (hemorrhage), measles, menses (suppressed), menorrhagia, menstruation (regulates, relieves pain), nipple soreness, nosebleeds, piles (bleeding), smallpox, stomach sickness, toothache, thrombosis, ulcers, urinary antiseptic, uterus (tighten and contract), stomachache,[24] and varicose veins.
The salicylic acid derivatives are similar to aspirin, which may account for its use in treating fevers and reducing pain.[citation needed]
Yarrow was also used in traditional Native American herbal medicine. Navajo Indians considered it to be a "life medicine", chewed it for toothaches, and poured an infusion into ears for earaches. Several tribes of the Plains region of the United States used common yarrow. The Pawnee used the stalk for pain relief. The Chippewa used the leaves for headaches by inhaling it in a steam. They also chewed the roots and applied the saliva to their appendages as a stimulant. The Cherokee drank a tea of common yarrow to reduce fever and aid in restful sleep.[citation needed]"

IMG_2319.JPG Strain it all out after a few hours
I used 2 strainers like this a big hole one and a smaller one ...
I squeezed out all the oils out of the mash with my clean hands ( this way I can test the product as well with the oils that were left on my hands lol rubbed it on my lower back worked nicely :))

IMG_2326.JPG Here is the end product the one on the left is darker cause it has some debri that was in the bottom .... the right one was the first pour.
I placed them in the fridge so they can set up get thick.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2316.JPG

Edited by wildedibles, 02 January 2013 - 12:04 PM.

• GLP likes this

#9 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

More Spruce pictures from today
IMG_2333.JPG
This is a swampy area some areas get flooded
IMG_2369.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG

IMG_2505.JPG Blue spruce planted a long time ago I will find out how old aprox it is

IMG_2339.JPG

IMG_2473.JPG

IMG_2580.JPG These are the 2 different Spruce I found
I noticed them cause they were side by side and the same age of sapling
I noticed the length of the needles were way different from each other

The Spruce I find all over has the longer bigger needles and the small ones might be ones just found in the swampy area .... but I do believe there is different ones
some minor differences probably breeding different spruce all together

IMG_2587.JPG
1 We found that scraping the outer bark off first
2 then a peel of the bark works best

We tried removing it with a knife and a razor blade all we did was dig into the heart wood this is the inedible part of the tree.

Plans are too peel more bark and dry some by the wood stove
Try a piece when it is dry cause I tried a fresh piece lol never said yeck so much lol it is edible and I chewed it a few mins to give it a good go but kept saying yeck
I spit it out and fresh I do not think chewing threw would technically work but I might have had heart wood still attached to that piece
It is edible lol ;) but I said raw me eat it again only if I was very hungry and there was nothing else to eat
I will give it another go when it is dry

IMG_2609.JPG oops this one is the Birch bark... sneak peek
we were peeling these too along with Willow ;)
These are young branches that's why they have dark bark like this .....

:) Other bark is more appealing Birch is one of them I have chewed on birch twigs b4 and will again in the woods it is really a nice tree :)
...makes a great tooth pick

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2620.JPG
  • IMG_2330.JPG
  • IMG_2331.JPG
  • IMG_2367.JPG
  • IMG_2435.JPG
  • IMG_2457.JPG

Edited by wildedibles, 04 January 2013 - 06:48 PM.

#10 benderislord

benderislord

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 844 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

i would like to take a moment
to remind everyone of one of the first western
raw foodies who ate a diet with lots of tree bark in it
who later died of stomach cancer
please be aware that these barks contain tannins and acids
not meant for the human stomach
and if any can cite his name many thanks as im sure it will be asked
my memory chips are old and some data gets lost along the way
  • wildedibles likes this

#11 bigjimmy

bigjimmy

Let's ride...

• Expired Member
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

i would like to take a moment
to remind everyone of one of the first western
raw foodies who ate a diet with lots of tree bark in it
who later died of stomach cancer
please be aware that these barks contain tannins and acids
not meant for the human stomach
and if any can cite his name many thanks as im sure it will be asked
my memory chips are old and some data gets lost along the way

"Ever eat a pine tree?"
"Many parts are edible".

Ewell Gibbons commercial... 1970's?

#12 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

I wounder what types of barks ?
Pine well u can make some nasty stuff paint thinner etc ....

I cant find any info on what is in barks
There woulds be resins like what i used to make the cream medicinal small amounts
eating large quanities of some bark could very much be bad for us but there ....
I was thinking last night too about how gross it tasted you wouldnt want eat large amounts of spruce bark at all its nasty
... but then i thought while spicing up supper with rosemary a light went off :)
why not in small amounts i would not like to eat any evergreen needles they taste gross i do chew on them from time to time ...( i might have pika do not do what i do lol ;))...
tiny small amounts of blueberrys antioxidants are great large amounts u are not feeling soooo welll either ;)

some barks do contain poisons cherry has cyanide type compounds only mean to eat in small quantities for suppressing bad coughs

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Choke_cherry
" Consumption
For many Native American tribes of the Northern Rockies, Northern Plains, and boreal forest region of Canada and the United States, chokecherries were the most important fruit in their diets.[10] The bark of chokecherry root was once made into an asperous-textured concoction used to ward off or treat colds, fever and stomach maladies by native Americans[11] The inner bark of the chokecherry, as well as red osier dogwood, or alder, was also used by Native Americans in their smoking mixtures, known as kinnikinnick, to improve the taste of the bearberry leaf.[12] The chokecherry fruit can be used to make a tasty jam, jelly, or syrup, but the bitter nature of the fruit requires sugar to sweeten the preserves.

Chokecherry is toxic to horses, and moose, cattle, goats, deer, and other animals with segmented stomachs (rumens), especially after the leaves have wilted (such as after a frost or after branches have been broken) because wilting releases cyanide and makes the plant sweet. About 5–10 kg of foliage can be fatal. Symptoms of a horse that has been poisoned include heavy breathing, agitation, and weakness. The leaves of the chokecherry serve as food for caterpillars of various Lepidoptera. See List of Lepidoptera which feed on Prunus."

I have heard that the green bark at certin times of year contain the same things as the leaves the tree bark I have not hear root bark till this link...

#13 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

In Vermont country stores in the 60's used to be able to buy little boxes containing 4-5 little 3/8" cubes of spruce sap. It was chewed like any gum, after 20-30 minutes the chewy gum became crumbly and spit out and chew a fresh piece. It was much more flavorful than regular gum and not so sweet. Haven't seen it in years.
  • wildedibles likes this

#14 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,763 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

"Ever eat a pine tree?"
"Many parts are edible".

Ewell Gibbons commercial... 1970's?

Post Grape Nuts.

===============================

The joke of the year when Ewell Gibbons died was:

What did Ewell Gibbons die of?

Natural causes!

You had to see the commercials to get the joke.

===============================

I also had heard that Gibbons died of stomach cancer, but the Wiki page says, "
His death was the result of a ruptured aortic aneurysm, a complication from Marfan syndrome."

#15 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,763 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Pines, Slippery elm, Black Birch, Yellow birch, Red spruce, Black spruce, Balsam fir, Tamarack.

Interestingly, none of these grow where I live. No elms. Our birch is the red alder. We have Sitka Spruce. We have Douglas fir (not a true fir I believe), noble fir, and white fir. No tamarack. We also have, (main species) cascara buckthorn, western hemlock, big leaf maple, vine maple, and western red cedar. Once common but near extinction because of clearcut logging are, pacific yew and flowering dogwood and probably lots of others I don't know about. We have wild filberts which are not much more than a shrub here. Along the rivers and near water are black cottonwood, black locust, and some forms of willow. There are lots of shrubs with possibly edible bark. Many are in the rose family.

#16 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

We have a few of thoes trees Hemlock is poisonous from what I hear same as yew but I think China was buying it for experimental cancer research I think they implanted it at the cancer site or something like that I worked to pick the yew " ground hemlock " b4 they didnt really explain what they were going to do with it other than that ... we have 2 maples I think and Filberts I love thoes wild ones remember as a kid eating them and thumbs hurting from all thoes hairs on the skins :) We have Cedar too and it has toxins as well Dogwood has medicinal uses similar to aspirin like willow, popular, cotton wood, Birch I found the chemical components of Birch bark and leaves ... http://www.herballeg...h_Chemical.html

#17 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

Spooner told me to have a look at this link :)
It is about Spruce gum very interesting read

http://www.adirondac...spruce-gum.html

There is a video too on how to make Spruce gum

[Direct Link]

Thanks Spooner for the great ideas :)
We were chatting and putting some ideas together on how to make the gum taste better ... more to come :)

#18 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

just ate some fresh 'pine fat' oozing from its wound
smooth, not too sticky, a fresh honey consistency and mild flavour.
  • wildedibles likes this

#19 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:59 AM

:) When I first tried Spruce sap this way I was about 5-10 years old just a kid I was probably bugging Grandpa and Dad and they told me that Spruce sap was old timers gum humm looked at them thought they were crazy but they insisted so I tried it
well as a kid I didnt let that sit in my mouth too long b4 I spit it out
Thought Dad and Grandpa played a trick on me lol ;)

I am going to try and make some gum out of the Spruce sap I have mix in a little flavor like wintergreen leaves and strain them out with the debri....
*warrning wintergreen oils are too strong to use ... they were used in food b4 but after people realized that concentrated wintergreen oil burns at small amounts they have stopped using it
I have wintergreen leaves I will be using you can chew on the leaves
I do this when I find them in the woods quite often and have a little snack ... u chew the leaf and spit it out cause the leaf is really tough

Then I was thinking this could be one of the Best Herbal delivery system lol
Talking it over with Spooner in Chat while discussing how to make it
Herbals I found lately that holding the herbal in your mouth chewing it up instead of a tea more gets absorbed threw the mouth and some herbals can work faster this way

I have read that spruce in small amounts can be great for colds and flu :) well there is less sugar in this than cough candies and syrups out there
If need be I can mix a little honey in with the sap as it is heated up controlling the sugar ... honey is also great for sore throats and coughs works better for me than cough syrup ;)

Edited by wildedibles, 07 January 2013 - 06:17 AM.

#20 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

Here is the Big Spruce that fell at a friends house in the spring it fell straight on the garden I planted for her I helped her clean it all up :) and this is where I got my Spruce sap from this is the same friend I made the cream for ;) I believe when a tree falls like this it is a great idea to make medicinal's from it and do this when a Popular species does this all the time to make creams ;) use what is placed in front of you I guess
IMG_4460.JPG

IMG_4456.JPG The garden got cleaned up first I was a little irritated cause I had just planted the garden the day b4 grr but I planted it again after the tree was cleaned up
It was sweet cause another friend donated more tomatoes to this friend and so did I so she had more to plant I did the planting and a few weeks later the original tomatoes that were planted came back up too so she had a tomato jungle :)
I guess it makes sense cause as long as tomato roots are ok then they will grow a new plant but thinking they were pretty much broken off at the soil they would not grow back so this was a very nice surprise and she shared all the tomatoes with me and the other friend who donated the other plants ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4551.JPG
  • IMG_4452.JPG

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!