29 replies to this topic

#1 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 5,088 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know that there are many many updates coming, as promised, just incase it seems there hasn't been much going on lately. The holidays have taken a lot of my time, as expected, and much of the work I have been doing here lately has been backend things that may not be noticed too much on the front-end that you interact with on the daily.

As many know we have upgraded the server and I'd like to report that everything there seems to be humming along. I'm still working on the CDN side of things but with the other changes being made I decided to put that on the middle burner for a bit.

For those that have been around a while you may remember the old Discuss board, which is currently still running our old old archives, (can we take those offline yet? ;)) and the subsequent upgrade to vBulletin. We've been on vBulletin for a number of years at this point, 9-10 I think, but it's time we start branching out and looking at other platforms that focus more on the social aspect of community. We will be evaluating on the backend to see if any other current platform will deliver the features we are looking for, including a new chat, and the integration with our member database.

Needless to say there are a LOT of good changes coming for 2013 and we appreciate your continued support and enthusiasm for this community. So let's ring in the new year with some style and keep moving forward!

:greenboun :meditate:

#2 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:09 AM

This would have been a good place to let us know the site was going to be down.

After all this is The Daily Trip,

Unfortunately it's not the source for site news and updates as advertised.

There's no shortage of asking us for money though - 8 links to make a donation on the forum page alone.
  • August West likes this

#3 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

Zen is a 1 man machine he does the best he can. Sorry it was not to your liking Mr. Gumball now that you voiced your concern in such a kind manner I'm sure someone will update the Daily Trip. Also when the site was down Zen actually had a notice it was down and that it would take awhile.

Everything cannot be perfect in life nor here on Topia so why let perfect be the enemy of the good? Thank you Zen for all your doing to make this place better!:heart:
Mahalo~Dani

#4 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

This would have been a good place to let us know the site was going to be down.

After all this is The Daily Trip,

Unfortunately it's not the source for site news and updates as advertised.

There's no shortage of asking us for money though - 8 links to make a donation on the forum page alone.

Do you recall what was on the front page when you tried to sign in while the site was down? I remember a message, with updates from Zen stating the site was down and will be back up shortly. The site upgrades are for members (you) to have a better experience while here.

Post your Jerk comments on another forum, not here.

Edited by eastwood, 16 January 2013 - 09:54 AM.

#5 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Ditto. Thank you, Zen.

#6 bigjimmy

bigjimmy

Let's ride...

• Expired Member
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Do you recall what was on the front page when you tried to sign in while the site was down? I remember a message, with updates from Zen stating the site was down and will be back up shortly. The site upgrades are for members (you) to have a better experience while here.

Post your Jerk comments on another forum, not here.

THIS is the only jerk reply I see on this thread.

#7 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,174 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

hey lets keep it civil in here. we are doing our best to maintain the board while keeping you updated. so the next person to use the word jerk will be taking a vacation.

#8 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

...There's no shortage of asking us for money though - 8 links to make a donation on the forum page alone.

Fortunately we are not forced to click on any link. We are not forced to pay to use this community. I Like putting my money where it will do the most good. Personally I like paying library fines because of the cost/reward ratio. Mycotopia is a free site, but offers valuable advice. Kicking them a bit of dough ocassionally, helps me even the score to a minor degree, and hopefull.y will allow the site to stay open so I can continue to freeload for a long time.

Thank You Zen, I will buy you lunch if you are ever in my town.

#9 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

I think maybe he meant, why no heads up in the update section.

If there was one I missed it too, no big deal though.

Zen posting updates on the homepage is more than most online services provide, and is what people expect but never ask for. So thank you for that.

#10 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

hey lets keep it civil in here. we are doing our best to maintain the board while keeping you updated. so the next person to use the word jerk will be taking a vacation.

OK, fess up. What jerk pissed in MrsH's coffee this morning?

#11 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,174 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

OK, fess up. What jerk pissed in MrsH's coffee this morning?

dont drink coffee but my dr.pepper was frozen this morning!

#12 squizzlix

squizzlix

Atlantean Twins

• Free Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

zen, we all appreciate everything you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Whoa, folks, calm down. Especially you Eastwood - the negative rep telling me to take the stick out of my ass was uncalled for, especially from a mod.

I only found it odd that a forum specifically created to update members on the happenings of Mycotopia wasn't used to let them know of an outage ahead of time.

Zen created it, and has used it in the past to let us know what's up.

And eastwood, I did see the message on the main sign in screen, but nothing prior to that, and that's my point. I thought Zen created this after our last outage to keep us more informed.
  • bigjimmy likes this

#14 vork21

vork21

Fan Man

• Free Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

In MG's defense, what did ever happen to the front page news feed?
(like this: http://web.archive.o....mycotopia.net/)
I understand that the Daily Trip is right there in plain sight, but I can speak for myself when I say I never go in there. No offense to anybody, but it's usually fairly disinteresting and pretty stagnant.
:eusa_thin Perhaps I just answered my own question...
As far as advanced warning, it seems to me that Zen didn't know there'd be downtime (or at least a significant amount of time) Zenself. Sometimes that happens. At least Zen kept us updated during downtime. Better than a 503 error.

#15 caitojones

caitojones

The Space Pope

• Expired Member
  • 479 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

Whoa, folks, calm down. Especially you Eastwood - the negative rep telling me to take the stick out of my ass was uncalled for, especially from a mod.

Don't take it personally. It's been my experience that Eastwood likes to get defensive over nothing. I understand what you were trying to say, but some people are just looking for an excuse to pass judgement on anyone who has criticisms.

Personally the update was really inconvenient for me because I was trying to get my order straightened out via PM, but I also understand the need for site maintenance, so I don't mind. Thank you very much Zen.
  • MrGumball likes this

#16 Lodi

Lodi

Pick door #3

• Expired Member
  • 357 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

Thanks Zen for all the hard work, I think at the end of the day when all is said and done everyone will be just fine not being able to log into Mycotopia for 24 hours. Small price to pay for the extensive network of information and help we have all recieved here because of people like you keeping it going.

Take a knee everyone.

#17 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

If being down was the biggest problem someone faced on that day, then they need to thank Zen for making sure that downtime is a rare occurance on this site.

Three Cheers for Zen!!!

#18 monkeybones

monkeybones

pothead

• Expired Member
  • 551 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

There is no need to get defensive in the name of someone else over harmless comments.

I am sure that if Zen was offended he would have been able to handle himself just fine.
  • MrGumball likes this

#19 vork21

vork21

Fan Man

• Free Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:56 AM

There is no need to get defensive in the name of someone else over harmless comments.

I am sure that if Zen was offended he would have been able to handle himself just fine.

I merely stated that MG had a valid point in that there is no longer any front page news, and that Zen deserves props.
I shall think twice before supporting points or actions of any fellow members in the future. Thank you for your enlightened insight.

#20 monkeybones

monkeybones

pothead

• Expired Member
  • 551 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

I merely stated that MG had a valid point in that there is no longer any front page news, and that Zen deserves props.
I shall think twice before supporting points or actions of any fellow members in the future. Thank you for your enlightened insight.

There was no need to be defensive nor sarcastic. There's a reason why I didn't quote you, or anyone else. My comment was not directed at any one person.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!