• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

I am picking up some New Zealand breed rabbits for meat production. I LOVE rabbit and the cost vs reward is great. I'll also be getting a Cinnamon and a Blue.
Anyone already doing this? Suggestions for setup?
I'm building some cages very soon. I have some left over 8'x2"x4"'s from another project that will make up the bulk of the bones. I have some 2"x4" welded wire that will make up the walls. And will be picking up some 1/2" hardware cloth for the floors and something for the roof that will keep them dry and out of the hot sun in the summer.

Cages will be 3x2 2'x2' and one 2'x4' at the end.

#2 Entheosoul

Entheosoul

Entheogenic explorer

• Expired Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

I would personally make the runs a lot bigger. That way the rabbits get more space/grass and you dont have to move them so often. Some people keep rabbits in such tight spaces and it is heart breaking to see! I am all for growing your own food but my top priority is giving the dudes a lot of love and happy lives while they are around.
Some people are a bit funny with the idea of growing your own meat but its a lot more respectful to the animals than buying some meat in a supermarket/store wrapped in plastic which was almost certainly treated terribly through its life.
Best of luck with it all
  • GadgetGuy likes this

#3 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,641 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

been there done that! got 3 empty rabbit hutches rotting away now. word of advise... they cant take the heat. (no pun intended) :lol:

#4 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

these are going to be for housing. they will have a run that sits in the grass for eating and playing. I'm a farmer by trade...growing my own food is what I do. and i do love meat. With the cost of good quality meat in the store...and how cheap it is to grow your own...it's a no brainer. The larger pen is for the male, and breeding. the females will be together frequently when in the pasture feeder. I'll see if i can find a picture or something of what I'm making up.

kind of like this...

[Direct Link]

Edited by MurCurY, 02 January 2013 - 03:51 PM.

#5 caitojones

caitojones

The Space Pope

• Expired Member
  • 479 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

I've wanted to raise meat rabbits for a long time, but I live in the city right now. I wish you the best of luck, and if you have success, maybe sell me some rabbit jerky :P

#6 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

I just couldn't do it hence why I am trying to go vegetarian but props to you for living off the land!:thumbup:

#7 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,641 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

also you do not have to compost rabbit shit. just leech it and put directly on plant...

#8 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 684 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

There's a yahoo group on raising them on colony = open area. I'm working on designing a system for pasture that will move them often enough to avoid the tunneling out problem.
Caitojones: In most cities, they're exempt, so you could have them, if you wanted to.

#9 Entheosoul

Entheosoul

Entheogenic explorer

• Expired Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:44 AM

Yeah that design is cool murCury! Have you seen german rex rabbits? They are becoming popular for meat but wow thats some big bunny's!

#10 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

pet rabbits are very popular in my area...4H is always looking for rabbits to show.
All the rabbits i'm getting have pedigrees. So if it gets to be too much on meat....I can advertise on craigslist and get $20 a rabbit all day. There are a bunch of "large breed" rabbits out there. New zealands and californians are the mainstays in the market. the blues and cinnamons are heritage breeds. I am not big on maintaining gene lines....i'm a bit of a tinkerer when it comes to genetics. So, I'll be breeding and backbreeding with what I'm picking up. I will keep a full blood pair of each so I can go back to the original genetics if need be. I have to get the tractor out and clear a spot in the snow in the pasture to put the hutch when i'm done. I might work on it today...but it is DAMN cold out there...we'll see. If i do i'll take pictures and such.

#11 maliki

maliki

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 416 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

Not to pop any ideas here .... But from personal experience your better raising chickens. First way more protein food return for time money invested . Second Rabbit is one of the least nutritious meats out there due to it containing nothing but protein for a huge part . You MUST substitute your diet with other animal fats proteins or it will make a person sick with what is refereed to as trapper starvation or protein poisoning for its medical term . If you sit down and plot out what you put into them as opposed to what you get out of a rabbit we would get more nutrition from eating there food rather then the rabbit its self . But cool to raise non the less .

#12 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

you can stock the area under the cages with worms for a high quality vermicompost as well.

#13 hungryjim

hungryjim

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 532 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

MurCurY, I too had considered this! Here's a link that I had bookmarked:
http://www.homegrown...ts-in-baltimore

#14 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

I picked up 3 rabbits, 2 American Blue and a Cinnamon. We'll see how they do....

#15 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

So, both the ladies are bred to the American Blue buck. His name is Fog. He weighs in a little over 9#. Both the does are around 8.5#. A bag of feed is $16 for 50#. Each one will kit 8 babies...and in 10ish weeks will be food at 8ish lbs...4ish lbs of meet. We'll see how it works out.

#16 cheeseball

cheeseball

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

How did the rabbits work out?

#17 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

I'm giving it a try this year (again). I had 2 litters that were ready last year but my partner wouldnt kill them and tired of taking care of them while I was away. They went to homes but still kept my male. The mother that wasnt supposed to go ended up being given away by mistake. So I am collaborating with a friend this year to get it going again. Ive been keeping the male in a very large run that was built as a colony and have no complaints as to raising him that way. He barely sheds and doesnt make a mess of it when he does and looks way more healthy than the friends caged animals. I think I'll continue to plan in that direction. The bunnies were in tractors and I'll continue with that as well. If you put bales of straw or half a dog crate or other structure in the middle of the pen, they seem to dig there instead of along the fence to get out. 

I also got some heritage chickens this year (Dominiques and Delewares) . They will be for meat and eggs when they start producing both. Muscovies are also on my list. I have a mating trio waiting for me to build a pen. Last winter was harsh and any food will be good food. Im tired of being semi-hungry the last week or 2 every month. lol. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!