• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cyberd0c

cyberd0c

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 08:43 AM

Ok, I would like to start by saluting everybody at Mycotopia thanking you all for this wonderful site. I spent a couple of months since March browsing thru the archives and reading the different threads in order to obtain as much information as possible for my growing projects. I am mainly interested in growing edibles and have limited but successful experience in growing button mushrooms 5 or 6 years back, but for many reasons I had to put my hobby on halt until I discovered Mycotopia and then my interest sparked again. My friend who knows a friend thought that he might try to grow magic mushrooms and gain some experience with the different strains and then share what he learned with me for growing edibles. Although this is not my first post, I thought this would be my first real contribution.
I have developed in the past some skills in agar and sterile techniques, but HEPA floowhood was not an option at the moment, so I offered to help my FOAF build a glovebox for his sterile work. I have this microwave cardboard box lying around and so I decided to put it to good use.
Material needed:
The box (of course), some rolls of adhesive transparent foil for the inside of the box, A4 or A3 transparent plastic for the windows and contact adhesive as well a duct tape (lots of it). A very sharp knife, some Velcro is also needed and (optional) silicon gaulk and two tyvek sleeves. At a later stage I added a small cardboard box and a thin nylon bag (explanation later).
And here we go; first I dismantled the box completely and flattened it then applied the adhesive foil on the inside. This has to cover the whole surface and is useful because it is impermeable to water or should I say liquids and of course is easy to wipe clean. Once this is done then the box is reassembled with contact adhesive leaving one side open. I decided to adjust the top of the box to simulate the commercial gloveboxes with a slanted front panel to allow for clear vision inside ( this took some exact measurements to bring the edges of the top together and the gap that was left was covered later with the transparent plastic sheet. Then two 6” circles were cut in the front panel to allow for the arms, the tyvek sleeves were taped to the circles using duct tape,(pic1)

a rectangular door was created on the right by cutting the three sides of the rectangle and leaving one side attached as a hinge (this door will serve as the main door for introducing material before starting sterile work) velcro is applied to the opposite edge in such a way to be able to lock the door, (pic2)

additional windows were created in the front to allow for a clear view of the inside. On the left side another door was created and hinged in a similar fashion, the size of this door was enough to fit the smaller box which was also treated in the same way as the large box (dismantled, inside covered with adhesive foil then reassembled…). This box will serve as an airlock to introduce stuff needed inside the glove box after the sterile work has started (it is especially useful when you thought everything you need is inside then suddenly you discover you forgot something, so rather than open the door on the right and introduce contam the airlock box is used after spraying it with disinfectant, closing the outer door then with the gloved hands open the inside door and take the needed equipment).(pics 3&4)

Another addition to the box is an airbag using the thin nylon; this is taped around a rectangular window created on the back of the box. This airbag serves as a pressure equalizer when opening doors or moving hands and arms inside the box so air movement is kept to a minimum.(pics5&6)

All the cut edges on the cardboard box were covered with duct tape because the exposed edges serve as a reservoir to collect dust and bacterial as well as fungal spores from the air and so the tape is impermeable and allows for easy wipe clean with disinfectant. If the edges cannot be covered with tape then silicon is used in the difficult corners or inaccessible areas. Once this basic work is done then duct tape is used on the outside to cover all the angles and edges, the plastic sheets are taped and the doors tested for any spaces left.(pic7)

]After I built the box and wanted to use it I found that despite all the windows created there are areas which were dark and vision was not clear so I added a small fluorescent light bulb inside the box for an excellent view. (pic8)
sorry for the long writeup and hope this is useful to someone.

Attached Thumbnails

• gb_fluorescent.jpg
  • gb_airbag_inside.jpg
  • glovebox.jpg
  • gb_airbag_outside.jpg
  • gb_airlock.jpg
  • gb_leftdoor_inside.jpg
  • gb_arms.jpg
  • gb_rightdoor_velcro.jpg

#2 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 16 June 2006 - 08:47 AM

Very nice and thanks for sharing. :cool:

#3 mason420

mason420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:29 AM

I particularly like the airlock. Good idea.

I just started making a glovebox last night - although a much more barebones version. Essentially just an empty box 'donated' from my employer (the kind that 10 reams of printer paper comes in) lined with tin foil and gorilla (duct) tape.

I haven't attached gloves yet because I hadn't decided what gloves to get. The rubber kitchen gloves seem a bit thick and cumbersome - especially for doing delicate things like flicking a bic. So with the sleeves you used do you intend to wear latex gloves, or just wash the heck out of your hands and arms? And where exactly do you get tyvek sleeves?

Thanks for sharing.

'topia rawks!

#4 cyberd0c

cyberd0c

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:40 AM

Thanks Mason an 8. I find that you don't need the gloves fixed but you can do it, I use latex gloves. as for the sleeves try http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=5460

#5 mason420

mason420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for poiting out that thread, cybrd0c, but while it provides interesting reading on tyvek and it's properties, it doesn't really offer any suggestions on where to get sleeves. I suppose I could make my own ot of some of the large tyvek envelopes delivered to my office every day and some elastic, but all I can find online for sleeves are cases of them and I really don't need 100 pairs of sleeves!

If anyone has suggetions on where to find them in smaller quatities, or just has a few extra pairs they'd be willing to sell or trade me, let me know.

#6 mason420

mason420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:33 AM

Answering my own question, but posting here to help anyone else who may be looking for tyvek sleeves:

Wicks Aircraft.com sells them individually for $4.89

and

labsafety.com has a box of 25 for $13.25 (sale price)

#7 cyberd0c

cyberd0c

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:35 AM

I'm sorry mason, I thought you reached the part where they give the address. here it is anyway, it's $.51 each!!
http://www.jamestown...ge=GRID=

#8 mason420

mason420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:06 AM

wow 51 cents, thats a lot fewer cents than 489. I still don't see where you got that url from the other thread, but no matter. thanks.

:teeth:

#9 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:01 PM

I don't even use sleeves. My arm holes are open. I'm shooting for still air and that seems to work just fine.

Thanks Mason an 8. I find that you don't need the gloves fixed but you can do it, I use latex gloves. as for the sleeves try http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=5460

#10 cyberd0c

cyberd0c

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:11 PM

true, I use this glovebox for really sterile work that require meticulous work, however for quick agar transfers or shooting spores or LC I use this modified GB.(I know you don't need even GB for spores but I use pp5 jars and I open the lid completely before shooting)

Attached Thumbnails

• retrofitted.jpg

#11 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:21 PM

That is some nice work, man. The air lock is really great. You are a freakin' master with cardboard and duct tape, dude!

#12 cyberd0c

cyberd0c

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:29 PM

Hey Buckaroo, thanks, that really means much coming from you:o
  • pollan34653 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!