• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 MrChen

MrChen

Rocky Mountain High

• Expired Member
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:21 PM

I put some wbs colonized with B+ outside and it has fruited now a second little bunch. Last night before I went to work there were these three tiny nice little caps poking out of the ground. This morning there are only 2, the biggest one in the middle having been plucked right off. The first little flush from this patch had predator damage as well. Some of the possible raiders could be chipmunks, squirrles, rabbits, birds, insects...I have a rather large garden nearby which does attract a lot of regular customers as well. Just wondering which way to lean as I intend to wage war on the suspects. I suspect birds because of the wbs, anyone else got ideas? Wouldn't a decent size fresh cap completely f up anything that small? Are they unaffected by the magic? hmm.

#2 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:29 PM

Squirrels are regular eaters of mushrooms. Not sure how the Psilo would affect them though.:crazy1:

#3 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:38 PM

http://mycotopia.net...s/5/132051.html
http://mycotopia.net...s/5/175273.html
http://mycotopia.net...es/5/29055.html

There are a few links of outdoor grows where pests have been a problem.

:laser:
Outdoor pests are the only bad thing about outdoor growing.
Best of luck to you.

I like to use copper wire for a perimeter, beer works well. Bigger critters like the grains so I try to spawn with BRFV cakes for outdoor cubensis.

#4 alpiner

alpiner

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:46 PM

slug slugs slugs
they love mushrooms, mycellium AND grain

#5 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:40 PM

animals tripping

i wonder what are the death toll for mushroom realated animal deaths lol

i also wonder if in the wild they naturally eat it on purpose?

#6 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:52 PM

Dunno much about tripping rodents but nothing can give the peace of mind like a good physical barrior -like a screen mesh bag u can fruit out doors..
Going postal on all the shroom lovin creatures doesn't work too well...

#7 MrChen

MrChen

Rocky Mountain High

• Expired Member
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 02:54 PM

1st three are from 6.9, #4 from today and #5 from my window overlooking the area. If he/she/it comes tonight I'll be ready and waiting.

Attached Thumbnails

• MVC-025X.JPG
  • outdoorpscubensisB+6162006a.JPG
  • outdoorB+pscubensis692006c.JPG
  • outdoorB+pscubensis692006b.JPG
  • outdoorB+pscubensis692006a.JPG

#8 Eldeeder

Eldeeder

Former Member

• Expired Member
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:27 PM

1st three are from 6.9, #4 from today and #5 from my window overlooking the area. If he/she/it comes tonight I'll be ready and waiting.

hahaa Mr Chen! It was me! Now I know about your ploy... You'll never catch me now!

#9 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 04:37 PM

try a homemade electric fence

all you need is some thick wire some poles a knife and a car battery :laser: :drk:

just hook up the wire about 3cm off the group hook it upto the battery, trim the excess wire and mission complete, fried rodents for breakfast. maybe you need to step up the voltage! shock the little bastards.

#10 wayback

wayback

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:57 PM

I haven't had any pest problems, except stray cat wanting to lie on the cool ground. So I'm planning on building some sort of chicken wire to keep them at bay, something along the lines of a normal garden blend in.

Wish you luck, and try dichatomous earth if possible. It keeps insect like creatures in check.

#11 scotia

scotia

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:11 PM

try a homemade electric fence

all you need is some thick wire some poles a knife and a car battery :laser: :drk:

just hook up the wire about 3cm off the group hook it upto the battery, trim the excess wire and mission complete, fried rodents for breakfast. maybe you need to step up the voltage! shock the little bastards.

IMHO the best way to protect your fungi? I've never had a problem with the good ol' fashioned bear trap.
Saying that, I ain't seen me grandma for a while!

#12 scotia

scotia

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:24 PM

animals tripping

I love that! Does anyone actually study it? I need to know more about this!
I can see it now:
CBNN Today: On the west coast of the British Isles, helpless onlookers were horrified as thousands of hedgehogs engulfed the shorelines as they protested the war on Vietnam.
When interviewed later, the leader of these so-called hedgehogs, a Mr. Hedgehog, said he was regrettably sorry for his peoples behaviour and that they'd taken too many 'shrooms on the day in question to know what was going on (What, with the beer n' all)
Back to you at mycoptia.net

:dance:

#13 duncan

duncan

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:46 PM

dude that is funny about the hedgehogs. Maybe that is similar to the story in the bible where the whole lot of pigs ran into the sea, they said they were demond posessed, I think they got ahold of some of psillies from back in to day there and all started on a bad trip and htey thought they was running into green pastures when really it was the sea of galiee.LOL

#14 scotia

scotia

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:49 PM

dude that is funny about the hedgehogs. Maybe that is similar to the story in the bible where the whole lot of pigs ran into the sea, they said they were demond posessed, I think they got ahold of some of psillies from back in to day there and all started on a bad trip and htey thought they was running into green pastures when really it was the sea of galiee.LOL

How we were, huh? (BTW you don't need me to tell ya, people still believe that shit!)

TIE:-)

#15 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:30 PM

my guess is squirrels...

try putting a mothball nearby... they HATE the smell of it. I've used them successfully to stop them from digging in my containers with soft peat soil for my regular garden plants with great success. No problems since.

#16 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:37 AM

No kidding Doob? That's a great idea.

#17 beardedlady

beardedlady

Documented Deemster

• Expired Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 01:10 AM

Squirrels are regular eaters of mushrooms. Not sure how the Psilo would affect them though.:crazy1:

I saw a squirrel eat a bird once. No shit. I was on the couch with the window open, I heard some noise in the tree, and looked out to see something fall. A really mangey looking squirrel running off with a bird. Runs a few feet, and then rips one of the wings off and goes to town.

I didn't go outside for three days after that...

I thought I read somewhere that primates use certain plants medicinally. Sort of like...wormers, or for getting rid of parasites.

Real quick look, it's called zoopharmacognosy. Reference: http://www3.intersci...ETRY=1&SRETRY=0

#18 MrChen

MrChen

Rocky Mountain High

• Expired Member
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:43 AM

I sat up last night as long as I could. The 2 dried grams of B+ helped for a while but as the tracers set in, I seemed to loose focus and found myself wandering the house instead of sticking to my post at the window. Somehow during the fog of war, the invader snuck in and munched the two little caps left in the patch. I discovered the newest damage this morning during coffee and bowl time. A few minutes ago, I was working on this post and happened to look out to see Mr. Chipmunk digging in the spot the caps had been. He must have been looking for a bump up to keep his party rolling. I do hope he enjoyed the trip because its now on like Donkey Kong. Tonight I will stand watch with the night vision goggles and .22. I hope he has his bags packed because he's headed to the great mushroom farm in the sky...
:laser:

#19 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:53 AM

try the moth ball trick first...no need to kill it...just looking for food. i had same problem with rats that would also eat the wbs, after so many lost a friend said to use moth balls...and damn that worked. no more rats since...

peace
siam

#20 Raul del Angelo

Raul del Angelo

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:11 AM

As the robot said, "Danger Will Robinson."

Mr. Chen,

Please help me get this image out of my mind.
I'm seeing 4 grams of B+ because the 2 last
night weren't near enough. I'm seeing night
vision goggles which will no doubt help you
see after the shrooms, and a 22 to cause
the mayhem you require.

Well this won't do, you can't get that stoned
and expect to hit anything. And you know you
will be trippin on those night visions. Make a
new plan Sam and get a shotgun. Use number
8 shot and send that beggar to chipmunk hell.

Or maybe capture that sucker and try to
teach him not to eat shrooms. Now how
can you do that???????

Or, Or, Or maybe he can be your new trippin
partner or the chippy guru. Imagine what
you might learn or maybe we could give the
chipmunk a county in Oregon.

Naa blast em.

Raul

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!