• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:31 AM

no no no...you can't snuff the little guy, its part of nature and you will be tripping on shrooms and that will take you into nature la la land where you will meet toto...man ya in for some bad trip or karma dude. rule is only kill to eat and protect bodily harm...but then again do what you want...if you meet toto you know M.jackson will be behind ya wanting to pet your kill..what a hell of a trip ...lol

peace bro

#22 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 01:39 PM

my guess is squirrels...
try putting a mothball nearby... they HATE the smell of it. I've used them successfully to stop them from digging in my containers with soft peat soil for my regular garden plants with great success. No problems since.

No kidding Doob? That's a great idea.

try the moth ball trick first...no need to kill it...just looking for food. i had same problem with rats that would also eat the wbs, after so many lost a friend said to use moth balls...and damn that worked. no more rats since...

peace
siam

It really does work.

:rasta:

#23 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 03:26 PM

mouse traps :) load em with NUTS

#24 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:18 AM

better if you can make a friend out of it..
Posted Image

#25 CY81N

CY81N

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:49 AM

I bet it was Dial8 :lol:

#26 srgtm1a

srgtm1a

yeah, yeah, you know.

• Expired Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:52 AM

I've run into a similar problem with a couple outdoor grows. My wild squirrel friends were eating them all up, not to mention slug problems on top of that.

What I did with later outdoor grows really helped.

I setup a chicken wire barrier around the grow area, and then made a barrier of pennies inside of the chicken wire (slugs hate that).

Only problem, is that squirrels can still get around any of that....they are very sneaky. I went out every day, in the morning, and setup piles of American bread around the chicken wire.....the squirrels ate the bread and stayed away from my mushies.

I don't think you should kill or hurt the animal...afterall, they are just hungry.

#27 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2006 - 01:06 PM

Gotta say I'm with Siam_Jim and srgtm1a. Killing the chippie is not only bad karma, it is only a stopgap, not a solution. Where there is one mushroom eating rodent, there are bound to be others. You can't sit up every night from now on tripping and shooting chipmunks.

That said, guns and psychedelics are VERY dangerous things to mix.

Break with some moth balls or a physical barrier of some kind and leave that gun in the closet while shrooming...

#28 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 02:08 PM

Gotta say I'm with Siam_Jim and srgtm1a. Killing the chippie is not only bad karma, it is only a stopgap, not a solution. Where there is one mushroom eating rodent, there are bound to be others. You can't sit up every night from now on tripping and shooting chipmunks.
That said, guns and psychedelics are VERY dangerous (and, IMHO, STUPID) things to mix.
Break with some moth balls or a physical barrier of some kind and leave that gun in the closet while shrooming...

I'm telling you from first hand success... they hate mothballs, and they won't harm them or your plants. Just that smell, it really bothers em and they stay clear. ;) I think the birds stay out of those containers I have them in also.

:cacti: :eusa_danc :cacti:

#29 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:31 AM

:headbang:

Right on with the Moth Balls Dooby! Its been working fantastic for my outdoor projects, along with a copper barrier I haven't had many problems yet!

#30 MrChen

MrChen

Rocky Mountain High

• Expired Member
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:40 PM

Thanks to all the great advice I've shelved the rifle and I've gone with the crushed mothballs around my outdoor patch. Last night we even sat up chopping pennies in half to make a nice copper ring around the bed. Two nights ago we took the flashlight out and got a picture of this tiger slug sucking down a cap or two. We watched it approach the patch and use its feelers to home in on the caps. Amazing how it turned itself right onto them. 2nd pic is of a nice cluster of this mornings pins (about 20-30 total in the whole patch). Updates will follow:neutral:

Attached Thumbnails

• B+pins6192006d.JPG
  • tigerslugeatingB+6182006a.JPG

#31 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:44 PM

your slugs are much more attractive than my ugly slugs :) They really know how to find those fruits.

The pins look really nice!

I'm hoping your update pictures will show minimal if any damage from the pesky invaders!

#32 MrChen

MrChen

Rocky Mountain High

• Expired Member
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:07 PM

The pins look really nice!

I'm hoping your update pictures will show minimal if any damage from the pesky invaders!

Thanks Freak! Means a lot coming from you! :shy:

I'm working on a small mesh screen for complete protection so hopefully I can see these babies grow up some.

One other note, it has been approximately 90 deg F outside here this last week and these B+ kids just seem to love it. In my air-conditioned bedroom the same multispore LC has been fruiting happily at about 70-75. Amazing the range of temperatures cubensis can handle and even thrive at. I am learning more every day.

#33 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:46 PM

Thanks to all the great advice I've shelved the rifle and I've gone with the crushed mothballs around my outdoor patch.

no need to crush them, just put a ball here and there.

:headbang:

Right on with the Moth Balls Dooby! Its been working fantastic for my outdoor projects, along with a copper barrier I haven't had many problems yet!

Rock on :) hehe

#34 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:55 PM

Yeah, the temps. at which they fruit is such an interesting range. They love the heat outside, thrive on it, and enjoy a temperate warmth inside to thrive on.
What I like most about outside is the caps pop, then the next day, if not that same evening they are almost fully mature. That I'm guessing is because of the temp. increase etc.

Glad the patch is looking and producing so nicely Mr. Chen!

And yeah Dooby, the moth balls are rockin'!!!!!!! Effective at an inexpensive cost! I like that!

#35 MrChen

MrChen

Rocky Mountain High

• Expired Member
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:47 PM

your outdoor patches? I've been watering when the ground looks dry on top which seems like 4-5 times a day. I'm afraid of flooding out the mycellum but they seem to be doing ok. Fruits have grown 1/8 inch just in the last 2 hours.

#36 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:43 PM

Last night we even sat up chopping pennies in half to make a nice copper ring around the bed.

Wow. I guess your ring only cost half as much as it otherwise would.

I have used mothballs to keep rabbits away from my outdoor plants before (you might notice that 'rabbit repellent' sold in stores is 'napthalene' or just naptha, which is... mothballs!). Works great.

One problem is that the mothballs eventually dissolve/evaporate. Especially after being rained on, and I'm not sure I want mothball leachate in my soil. My solution was to buy and eat a few 8 oz cups of yogurt, I get whatever brand has actual plastic lids not just foil. Clean out the empty cup, carve out holes of whatever size suits you, spray paint the cup flat black, fill with mothballs, and partially bury near your valuable crops. The cup shelters the balls from rain so the repellent effect lasts a long time (long enough for the stems to get too big for rabbits in my case).

Only kill chipmunks if they are threatening your life, or that of a loved one. And afterwards, eat them. (3-4 marinaded and roasted on a rotisserie skewer are surprisingly filling).

#37 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:04 PM

Only kill chipmunks if they are threatening your life, or that of a loved one. And afterwards, eat them. (3-4 marinaded and roasted on a rotisserie skewer are surprisingly filling).

RAOTFLMFAO!!!! That is good stuff, man!!!! So dry...I didn't even see it coming. Really good stuff!!!

Good idea, the yogurt cup evaporation boxes...

#38 MrChen

MrChen

Rocky Mountain High

• Expired Member
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:16 AM

I guess this has now almost become a grow log spun from a question. If it had not been for y'all we wouldn't have been able to post these pictures. 1st from 6.19, the rest from today. I've retired the night-vision goggles instead going with a combination of copper & plastic sheeting for now. I have a mesh enclosure built for the next spawning. Thanks for everyone's input!
:kiss:

Attached Thumbnails

• B+pscubensisoutside6212006c.JPG
  • B+pscubensisoutside6192006a.JPG
  • B+pscubensisoutside6212006b.JPG

#39 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:03 PM

:) They look really happy, and not eaten up! Glad things worked out, and feel free to post lotsa pics, I love em!

The mesh screens on top will really help you out I'm sure! Keep up the great garden work!

#40 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:49 PM

nice Mr. Chen! :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!