• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ConsciousFeeder

ConsciousFeeder

Too rich the rich king.

• Expired Member
  • 920 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:07 AM

Was wondering if anyone had seen any of Dick Proenneke's films? I get a great amount of peace watching his films. His carpentry talents amaze me.

For those unfamiliar he moved to Alaska and built a cabin by hand with just a few tools, some that he made himself, and then lived in it for about 30 years.

#2 maliki

maliki

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 416 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

Inspirational to say the least . Ive caught his stuff before . educated with common sense and a will to work ... whats not to like ?

#3 curandZero

curandZero

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 341 posts

Donator

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Thanks a lot for this! I hadn't been aware of his work before. I love this sort of thing; really puts things in perspective.

#4 bigjimmy

bigjimmy

Let's ride...

• Expired Member
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Was wondering if anyone had seen any of Dick Proenneke's films? I get a great amount of peace watching his films. His carpentry talents amaze me.

For those unfamiliar he moved to Alaska and built a cabin by hand with just a few tools, some that he made himself, and then lived in it for about 30 years.

Is he the one that took all the 8mm movies...?

PBS did a show on him, right? This was in the 60s, maybe even late 50s? (when he was filming)

If that is the same guy, I loved his stuff...

He has forgotten more things about living in the wild, than I will ever learn!

I think he was already 50 or so when he began living this way. Maybe mid 40s.

Inspiration for those of us in the same boat...(old) :eusa_clap

Edited by bigjimmy, 20 January 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#5 opiwave668

opiwave668

HDL 51 mg/dl

• Expired Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

love this guy think theres more than one documentery on him ive seen at least two

one day he decides hes going to go for a walk

80 yr old mofo hikes like 30 miles up a fucking mountain till his feet get a little sore

he packs them in snow for a few and takes off like its nothing

i envy this mans mountain goat legs

wish you could still homestead id be all over it

#6 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,373 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

yup, good stuff. a good way to spend a couple hours if only to let us know what is possible outside our teknoworld.

#7 ConsciousFeeder

ConsciousFeeder

Too rich the rich king.

• Expired Member
  • 920 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:46 AM

Glad that so many have had the pleasure of seeing his movies. His movies put a lot into perspective about what someone can do with the skill, patience, and determination. Something that amazes me is that I never heard him complain once through out any of his movies. It amazed me also that he never noted injuring himself. Just took his time and was diligent in his work.

Watching him do his magic with wood working calms me.

#8 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:17 AM

This is on right now...

If you haven't seen it, check it out (track it down).

#9 Lodi

Lodi

Pick door #3

• Expired Member
  • 357 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

Yeah Dick P is a beautiful person. I own all of his movies, I have 3 I believe there is 1 more to get somewhere but its super rare and hard to find.

The voice you hear through his movies is not Dick, but the guy who produced it.

They came back to interview him in the late 70's and actually had a camera with a mic in it so we back in the civilized world could hear the real dick, and he sounds nothing like that narration in the first couple movies. He even says to the cameraman that he is worried because he has no idea what they are "Making" him say on the video.

That video changed my life I swear to god. I first saw it on PBS like bigjimmy said, and have never been the same. I didnt even know there were such men in this world.

My favorite part albeit a little sexist, is when the lake turns violent during a storm and he says "This lake sure can change its mood fast. Like a woman... All smiles one minute and dancing a tempertantrum the next"

I have used a lot of what I have seen in those movies on the family hunting land up north, making benches and chairs and such in my free time.

"It would be much easier to kill a Caribou, but they are more than I can eat, and besides I like sheep meat better"

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!