19 replies to this topic

#1 Jordan86

Jordan86

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

[Direct Link]

This is a pretty cool look at a dude and his wife living by themselves in the Alaskan Artic. Their nearest neighbors are 100 miles a way. I think they're pretty badass. :)

#2 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Dude, I'm glad someone else digs this. I posted it a few months back and I'm not sure anyone commented. https://mycotopia.ne...one-alaska.html

Also, if you haven't heard about Dick Proenneke check him out (someone just made a thread about him).

When I first heard about him four years ago I was able to find a full length documentary online for free.

I've looked recently and have only been able to find snippets - nothing like the full length of years ago.

#3 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

I have been having a hell of a time watching vids lately. I got to see 33 seconds of that one before it just stops loading. It seems like there are more all the time that won't play here. A few months ago I didn't have this issue. There are still some that seem to play just fine, but the number that do is going down.

Any ideas?

#4 Sickmanlives

Sickmanlives

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 794 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

no clue about fixing issues. my internet just sucks, I have problems all the time.

About Dick Proenneke tho-- right now for free you can get all the movies in one bundle. I think there is 5?

#5 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:16 AM

no videos work on my computer at all anymore and am missing a lot of cool ones :(
I need to update my windows stuff and flash player but I cannot yet until I get a new disk to put on this silly computer...

#6 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

This video still only lets me see the first 33 seconds... oh, and the ad, of course.

#7 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:48 AM

maybe you need to update your flash player?

#8 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

You should watch (or read) Into The Wild;

http://www.imdb.co.uk/title/tt0758758/

One of my top ten favorite movies.

#9 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

Okay, here's what was up, I guess. I did some searching, describing my YouTube issues. I was led to a page at YouTube where I was able to enable something called, "HTML5." That seems to have done the job. I did however get a new issue, and that is, my computer now doesn't know I am watching a video and goes to the screen saver if I want to flop on the bed and watch it. I have to keep getting up or throw something at the mouse. With the old setup, it never went to screen saver with a video playing.

#10 Dr.Hallucination

Dr.Hallucination

Chasing the Rabbit.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,480 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

I watched this one a couple weeks ago,pretty great.
Alaska is a place I will get too before I die.

#11 ALHpancyan

ALHpancyan

Prying open my 3rd eye

• Expired Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

Just press the desktop with your right clicker and change the screen saver options. That should fix it.

#12 ams1992

ams1992

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,615 posts

Donator

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

Yep a right click and going into 'Properties' if anything before Windows 7. In the properties, find the screen saver settings, and go with 'none' or find the area that allows you to customize how long it takes to get into screen saver (usually below the screen saver selection)

In windows 7, right click, go to 'personalize' and on the bottom right it should say 'Screen Saver' select it and change the timing settings. Should fix your issues :)

#13 Phaeton

Phaeton

Speed of Dark

• Expired Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:42 AM

The part I remember about living in the far north is going to the river every morning to enlarge the hole in the ice. Skip a day and it would be two feet thick instead of one. Adding a layer of ice chunks to the drum would keep the sloshing at a minimum while the sled was drug up the bank and back to the cabin.

A total of three years spent north of the arctic circle, Fort Yukon for the most part.

Living was certainly different, this was in the 80's and communication was difficult and the internet did not exist.
Neither did TV in the smaller villages.
Birch Creek (Tahiti'Aii) had an average population of 23 and the nearest road was 100 miles south on the other side of the White Mountains.
Chalkyitsik had 56 and the nearest road was 200 miles south on the other side of the Yukon Flats and the White Mountains.
Fort Yukon is a hub with over 600 people, still no road to anywhere, smack in the middle of the Yukon Flats, eight miles north of the arctic circle.

Personal record of -70 F for using the outhouse, might have been a record for speed as well.
No TV, boredom must be relieved somehow.
A styrofoam cup full of 30 weight engine oil sliced in half vertically will hold its shape overnight, then the flat slowly gets a curve and flows down throughout the next day.

Heimo was trapping north of Fort Yukon when I met him. I have to admit surprise at seeing him in the video.

I can't say I would want to live there now, too old for the physical effort required.

Edited by Phaeton, 14 June 2013 - 12:48 AM.

#14 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

Thats freaking AWESOME!!!!

I love it !!

its kinda sad that is the LAST Frontier...... like literally

and wtf... just watching the first 20mins of that video...

i get the drift that the US Govt wont let anyone live NORTH or the Arctic Circle in Alaska?? WTF is up
with that. What is more people wanna be like this guy? than again, he did say he witnesssed A LOT of people
trying to do what he has done but fail after a few years lol

I bet they do it just to bring themselves back to reality and really come to understanding how well
most have it...

#15 Stoned Angel

Stoned Angel

aka dew drop daddy

• OG VIP
  • 1,993 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

I hear him say I feel safe. I wish I felt that kind of safe. The boy's said they didn't feel safe with the bear coming around. But the kinda of safe from other people's minds thinking your doing something wrong and belong in jail is far scarier. That would truly be the live. Except the COLD! I think that's part of the reason we all question so much about live. Like the Tiger in the cage consently wondering why. We're like the Tiger in the cage. WHY am I sad......because we're suppose to live like this!!!

#16 Rebelutionsssss

Rebelutionsssss

Mycotopia

• Expired Member
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

Seems like Alaska is the new tv hit. I've seen atleast 5 Alaska shows pop up in the last 2 or 3 months. The advice my father gave me was to take everything I have here and move to Alaska and start a real life.

#17 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,713 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

When a lot of people think of Alaska, they think of it as a singular place. It is important to remember that Alaska is larger than Texas, California, and Montana combined. Or to look at it another way, larger than the 22 smallest states combined. Its climate and conditions varies greatly over its great mass.

I have been lucky enough to have been able to work in this state for years, and my wife and I recently became full time residents. It is different here than in the lower 48. Better, in my eyes anyway.

I highly recommend for people to come and get a look for them self, as words and pictures alone don't do justice. Just be prepared, it is like a drug to a lot of people, one that they find they can't do without after they have tasted it.

Just yesterday I has looking out over our lake, and got to watch a full sized bald eagle swoop in to try to get at some baby ducks that are nested in the marshy grass bordering the lake. He didn't get them, much to my wife's relief. It is quite impressive to see a bird of prey, with a wing span of over 6 & 1/2 feet, swoop in like a fighter jet. The power, the beauty, the grace... To be able to watch this out the living room window while drinking the mornings coffee.... Its moments like that, that help make the rest of the bullshit life sends at you more tolerable.

I wouldn't advise anybody to try and live alone in the bush, I wouldn't try and talk them out of it either. In my opinion, that kind of living isn't for most people, and I know it's not for me. I love living in the sticks, but I also like to be able to shop at Wally World, or go out to eat once or twice a month. I found my happy medium by having to drive for a little over a hour each way to get to town. That is downright civilized compared to getting your supplies airlifted to you every 3 months. Sorry, I am rambling, but only because I want to share something I truly love.

peace
Juth
  • GadgetGuy likes this

#18 Phaeton

Phaeton

Speed of Dark

• Expired Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

When Heimo first came through Fort Yukon in 1982 there were five traditional trapping families in the Yukon Flats area.
In retrospect his path was straight to where he is now, but at the time he was trapping the upper Porcupine River and options were many.

The USA has a definite program to shut down the villages, without the villages it is more difficult for trappers.
I believe Heimo says he is the last now, and newcomers are not allowed.

I find this a shame.

As for the lifestyle, four or five "back to nature" groups would come through Fort Yukon every year. They ALL went home again, this is not romantic.
Dorothy lost her little sister when a cutbank collapsed, Heimo lost his daughter to a sweeper, not sure why Agnes went outside that night, but she froze to death.

Life is tough, then you die is the way of life. Jimmy buried two daughters and his wife before he reached 40.

A good note, Heimo is doing great, still talks the same attitude as 30 years ago. It has been over 25 years since I even thought about him. touchstones to the past are really cool.

#19 Rebelutionsssss

Rebelutionsssss

Mycotopia

• Expired Member
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:26 AM

I don't think I could lose 2 daughters and my wife and still find the strength to take care of all the shit that comes with living in Alaska. Poor guy

#20 Fresh Brewed

Fresh Brewed

Seeker

• OG VIP
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:17 PM

Really enjoyed that...thanks!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!