• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 lyqwyd

lyqwyd

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 658 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 05:46 PM

I found the instructions for a reflux still in the old archives, but i remember seeing something around here about building a pot still. anyone know how to do that or have other recommendations as far as making `shine goes? my boss wants to start his own still and well, shit, he's the boss... thought i'd drop some knowledge on his ass. i like the idear of the reflux still since its almost fool proof, but it doesn't get the high alc contenet this dude is looking for.

#2 boots420

boots420

We Get Lifted

• Expired Member
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 06:02 PM

so ya wanna build a still huh? check this out site out......

http://www.stillcook...obuildmain.html

#3 lyqwyd

lyqwyd

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 658 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:47 PM

sweet link holmes!! copies nicely into word processor too... shanks

#4 karmadiver

karmadiver

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:15 PM

http://www.moonshine-still.com/

thats the site my foaf's dogs 3rd cousins aunt Sally's husband Pickle Pete uses. :eusa_shhh

#5 boots420

boots420

We Get Lifted

• Expired Member
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:31 PM

no worries:hippie:. let me know how that moonshine goes.:)

#6 akoutdoors

akoutdoors

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:38 AM

the best stil U can make is out of a pressure cooker, It has the spot to put a temp gauge, its made to take pressure and heat and it just looks nice.

#7 lyqwyd

lyqwyd

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 658 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:05 AM

two questions about the pcooker method... 1) got plans? 2) can u still use it for mushrooming when ur done? i don't even have one right now, but if u can use it for multiple applications (not including cooking and canning) i might have to break down and get one.

#8 Jaeger

Jaeger

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 175 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:14 AM

homedistiller.org the best site :)

#9 TheSource

TheSource

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:24 AM

nice links guys. might be a cool hobby to check out when ya have a house.

#10 CY81N

CY81N

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:59 AM

I believe you are mistaken. A reflux still is for high alcohol content, a pot still isn't. Whiskey can be made in a pot still and come to ninety to one hundred proof whereas the same wash could be distilled in a reflux still and achieve one hundred and ninety proof..... the whiskey would look brownish from the pot still and completely clear from the reflux... do some more research before you "drop some knowledge on his ass" :D

#11 Guest_eyes0fsin_*

Guest_eyes0fsin_*

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:40 AM

Have you thought about buying a still? I bought a fractional distillation setup and it has come in good use.

#12 Burger

Burger

Old Hand.

• OG VIP
  • 596 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:46 AM

As CY81N has mentioned a reflux still will produce MUCH purer alcohol than a pot still, ie: much higher alcohol content.Some like to use a pot still as it imparts certain desirable flavours into the mix, but a reflux still imo is the way to go.I have used a store bought reflux still with pretty good results but the capacity is a bit small.Currently I am making a reflux still using the plans from the site karmadiver mentioned http://www.moonshine-still.com, but instead of using a beer keg for the boiler, I am using a large 50L S/Steel stock pot.

#13 Japanster

Japanster

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 09:38 AM

An interesting tea kettle still.

http://www.dangerous....org/moon1.html

#14 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:26 AM

humm the last person that asked about building one from a beer keg disappeared and had never heard from since?

siam

#15 eternalfrost

eternalfrost

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 811 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:55 AM

A pot still works great for making flavorful drinks(wiskey rum etc.), the 'flavor compounds' are alowed through fairly easily. a reflux still, will strip out almost everything but the alcohol (high end vodkas etc), much much higher proof but little to no flavor.

pot stills are incredably simple to make with a trip to a hardware store. basicly you just need a container hooked up to a condenser coil and your done.

reflux stills are more complicated. in a nutshell, the vapors condense while still inside the tower on 'scrubbers' then are re-vaporized(boosting the alch. content) and travel up the tower, only to condense and repeat continously inching up the column. by the time it gets to the top its the equivilant of being pot-distilled 'infinate' times.

so basicly its a pot with a tall tube full of something with alot of surface area, then a collection cup and spout at the top. the top is often cooled to help with the final condensation.

just make sure everything you use is food-grade. and NO LEAD SOLDER.

homedistiller.org is the best site IMO

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!