#1 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,704 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Hey all,
I'm shouting out for some advice with regards to food processors.

What I'm hoping to do is to begin vegetable juicing as featured in this documentary: http://www.filmsfora...arly_dead_2010/

I would also like to be able to make nut butter and such as featured in this thread: https://mycotopia.ne...tml#post1234724

I've just never done anything remotely like this - ever. Peaches come from a can - right? (They were put there by a man). So try not to bash the ignorant too hard.
From what I gather, I may need multiple pieces of equipment to do both things. I've researched the tools and understand that they are incredibly expensive.
That, my friends, is why I ask you - healthy folks who use these tools and can vouch for the best. I would like to spend wisely up front and enjoy the equipment for many years.

Thanks for looking.

#2 Lodi

Lodi

Pick door #3

• Expired Member
  • 357 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

Hey bud, I am by no means a healthy man, I smoke to much and put to much crap in my body. I try though, and I love juicing.

DONT BUY A CENTRIFUGAL JUICER. My girlfriend got me one for Christmas, and she payed good money, but a masticating juicer is the way to go.

Some things like kale and spinach I have to juice 2 or 3 times before its not soggy and soaking wet anymore.

My dad has had a Champion masticating juicer for 30 years and it works flawlessly everytime. I am saving up for one now, because with the right masticating juicer you throw nuts in, wheatgrass, bananas, peanut butter if you wanted... ANYTHING.

The only problem is the good ones are $300+, when the cheap centrifugal juicers start at $50. And they cant juice things like mango, banana, nuts, leafy greens, etc etc.

4 days a week I juice for 2 meals a day, lots of kale, carrots, apples, oranges, blueberries... The best part about juicing is you can actually feel it coursing through your body and doing all sorts of good after you drink it. Plus no matter what you juice its delicious and incredibly healthy for you.

#3 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

If it means anything to ya, that processor I use is a 25 year old Cuisinart DLC-7 Super Pro

Same blade, same everything. My fathers before me..

Makes excellent humus too.

My next kitchen purchase will be the standup Kitchen Aid mixer with front attachments.

Juicing is kinda cool, but it just enables you to consume more fruit per serving basically. It does not unlock magic properties. Great for detoxing/fasting things of that nature. It makes Kale not suck too...so thats a bonus. Throw a few green apples into your kale juice it's actually good.

My buddy has a decent middle of the road one, I think he paid like 150 or so - and imo he should have bought a nicer one like Lodi said.

Edited by mate0x, 02 February 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#4 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Shop second hand stores.

It can be hit or miss but I've sourced a lot of kitchen supplies this way.

Also, I've found good deals at department type stores as well as places like TJ Max.

#5 bb4

bb4

Lurker Extraordinaire

• Free Member
  • 283 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

I can second the Cuisinart DLC-7 Super Pro; it is the best food processor for home use period!

I have a masticating juicer that ran about $150.00 if i recall. The brand is Lexen, but i don't have the exact model number. It can be used to make nut butters. juice wheatgrass, any vegetable etc...

I too own a 6.5 qt Pro model Kitchenaid Mixer. I have all the pasta attachments, grain mill, ravioli maker, shredder/slicer, and sausage attachment. I think i'm only missing a few of the front attachments. Oh, I also have the ice cream bowl and dasher. The Kitchenaid gets the most use of any of my appliances. It has probably 3000+ hours on it and the motor is still as strong as the day I bought it. I regular have it running for well over an hour straight despite the warning not to do so. I make doughs that require very heavy needing and mill a lot of grain for beer brewing.

I have two Vitamix Blenders that are by far the best blenders I have ever owned. I wish they had a glass model, but they don't. A lot of times when gathering veg/fruit for juice I just blend it and drink down the pulp, the Vitamix can truly liquify damn near anything.

Bottom line, get something nice. It's worth saving an extra month or two and buy the appliance that you can pass on to your kids. Oh yeah, get some cast iron while you're at, my fry pans are 90 years old and I could do that burnt cheese trick too. Anyway sounds like the masticating juicer is they way to start for you. Good luck and happy eating.

#6 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,915 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

I can't advise you on a juicer, because i have never had one.
I will swear by Kitchenaid for a mixer and also for a food processer. I have both, and they have never been unable to handle whatever I was making, I gave my sister a 25 year old Kitchenaid mixer that just refuses to wear out, so I could get one with a bigger mixing bowl. My food processor is 15 years old and shows no signs of wearing out.
I hate to say it, but QVC sometimes has the best prices that come with warrenty.....

#7 Lodi

Lodi

Pick door #3

• Expired Member
  • 357 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

I have a friend who owns a garden center and he makes some incredibly potent edibles, and he was telling me of something he uses to help strain his plant matter from the butter and water. Maybe one of you knows the name of this.

He told me it could be baught at any resteraunt supply store. It is a metal tube, with a screen at one end, and a heavy duty crank on the other. So you load up your plant material and can just crank it down till you get every last drop of butter out of your plants. He said that after hand squeezing, you can then get quite a few more tablespoons of butter out of it, and its almost black and the most potent butter.

Anyone know what this is called? It is a kitchen appliance so its not off topic! lol

edit* and he cant remember what they are called so I cant look it up online. Again a tool he has had in his kitchen for 20 years with no problems.

#8 bb4

bb4

Lurker Extraordinaire

• Free Member
  • 283 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

it's either a really nice Food Mill which usually range from $30 to several hundred, it is great for making tomato sauces, mashed potatoes, etc... you do three cranks clockwise, one crank counterclockwise and repeat.....

might by a True Press.... usually found as apple cider press or something similar they cost around $200 and up.

I'd wager it's more of a Food Mill with Chinois than a press.

-bb4

#9 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,704 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

I have a friend who owns a garden center and he makes some incredibly potent edibles, and he was telling me of something he uses to help strain his plant matter from the butter and water. Maybe one of you knows the name of this.

He told me it could be baught at any resteraunt supply store. It is a metal tube, with a screen at one end, and a heavy duty crank on the other. So you load up your plant material and can just crank it down till you get every last drop of butter out of your plants. He said that after hand squeezing, you can then get quite a few more tablespoons of butter out of it, and its almost black and the most potent butter.

Anyone know what this is called? It is a kitchen appliance so its not off topic! lol

edit* and he cant remember what they are called so I cant look it up online. Again a tool he has had in his kitchen for 20 years with no problems.

http://www.amazon.co...T/dp/B00A1FB40Y

That it?

#10 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

two stout but small cutting boards makes a decent spinach press,
add a 'brass' hinge with chromed faces and you're pressing small scale.

friend built from maple a cider press with hand cranked cutting chamber, used an hydraulic cylinder.. happily pressed off a barrel of apples.

Edited by Erkee, 05 February 2013 - 01:29 PM.

• wildedibles likes this

#11 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,704 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

I'm really grateful for the feedback. All the info led me to a number of discussions regarding these tools.
This is the juicer I've decided to seriously consider:
http://www.omegajuic...6.html?___SID=U

Looks like it has all the "must-have" items. Can make nut butters, pasta and also is efficient at juicing without over-heating or foaming. As a bonus, looks like it has a 15-year warranty. Will keep researching but I think I've found my new tool.

#12 hopethishelps

hopethishelps

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 358 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Myc, that looks like the one my son got.
He puts in everything, even the rind but the rind comes out the end so you have to catch it in a cup.
I call it a hydraulic press since it has a screw inside that presses the fruit/veg against a screen in the tube.
You know there are three processes available: Blending, Juicing and emulsifying.
Blending just mixes stuff up.
Juicing separates the juice from the pulp.
Emulsifying makes it so you can consume everything.
Personally I got an emulsifier since that includes the fiber, slows the digestion and evens out your blood sugar.
I use a Ninja (got for $120 at Sams) and make up the big container. I then pour into the small one and make smoothies by adding ice.
I still cut up fruit and veggies and eat them too.
You have to do what your body tells you is best for you though.
Hemp seed is the best nutritionally even better than soy according to the "Emperor Wears No Clothes".
Have fun eating healthy.

#13 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,704 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

hopethishelps - excellent observation!
From the out-set, I knew there would probably be no "one-tool-does-all" machine.
To complete the kitchen tool set I'm also looking at this little unit:
https://secure.vitam...te-Kitchen.aspx

What attracts my attention with this kit - Can make my own flour from whole grains (no more store-bought "enriched" stuff), Can make my own soups with provided attachments (large volumes of soup are a PITA with a regular blender), Can make my own (pulp-included) juice/smoothies with all the plant goods left right where they belong (as opposed to separating the fiber and pulp from the juice).

Drawbacks are cost. These durable machines are priced accordingly. I'm pretty sure I can scrape together the funds for the most expensive of the two but I cannot spring for both. Will have to decide which one is going to offer the most immediate benefit and go from there.

#14 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

I'm really grateful for the feedback. All the info led me to a number of discussions regarding these tools.
This is the juicer I've decided to seriously consider:
http://www.omegajuic...6.html?___SID=U

Looks like it has all the "must-have" items. Can make nut butters, pasta and also is efficient at juicing without over-heating or foaming. As a bonus, looks like it has a 15-year warranty. Will keep researching but I think I've found my new tool.

I've used this for about seven years. It's pretty awesome. Does everything it claims. Another benefit is that it is easy to clean vs. something like the Cuisinart mentioned above, which I also own. I will admit that the damn Cuisinart just won't quit. It's been in my family for many years and we have all the original parts, still working. But, for what you're looking to use it for Myc, I think the Omega is the way to go.

Something to think about regarding juicing, is that a lot of the fiber is lost with the pulp. A friend of mine recently suggested (and she does this), using the pulp bits in a food dehydrator to make cookies or bars or whatever, that way there's no waste and you get all the fiber too.

Mate, I know you're trying to get kale into your juice but if you don't like it (blasphemy!), you could just eat it. Saute up some onions and garlic and throw that shit it in. Kale is fucking good!

#15 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

I don't mind Kale really, but pure kale juice is :drk: lol. That granny smith apple really helps it out!

I have used the pulp from fruit and mixed it into baked goods, orange muffins etc...

Fucking great

#16 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,704 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

August,
I had the same idea! - Playing with the pulp to make veggie and fruit "roll-ups" or something similar - maybe add agar and home-concentrated fruit juices/ stevia/ other sweetening agent - or peppers and oil - or use pulp for oil infusions (like the ever-present herbed, canna, olive oil for dipping). I can't wait to run some fresh-cut, green bud through this little unit.
Otherwise, it goes on the compost heap as microbe food = +1 (already shredded and ready-to-eat).

Further research led me to this tool as opposed to the Vitamix machine:
http://www.blendtec...._wildside_color

The blentec machine claims to do all the same functions as the vitamix. It costs less and requires fewer "accessories" to perform the same array of functions.
I'm still studying. But I'm especially glad I asked for opinions - you folks have been a positive influence on this research.

#17 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

I have used the Vitamix, my mother has a new one. It's really fucking nice.

Here is an interesting article I found:

http://www.incredibl...ix-vs-blendtec/

#18 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,704 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

I just also wanted to point out what I'm finding to be an important read.

I go to the manufacturer's website and look at the product manual on .pdf
Reading the owner's manual prior to purchase gives a REALLY ACCURATE view of what ownership of the tool requires.
It's hard to hide all the hype and opinion in an instruction manual - and they are very revealing. Short-comings are carefully pointed out - where in customer reviews, this information is often omitted or over-looked.
Just throwing this in for the next bewildered researcher.

The product manual is your honest friend in the selection process. ;)
  • wildedibles likes this

#19 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

...but pure kale juice is :drk: lol.

I used to work at our local food co-op. The best part of the job was the "Free box". I never understood why most of the other employees snubbed this. They might take dented boxes of crackers or cookies or soup but they never touched the slightly bruised or slightly "out of date", fruits and veggies. I must've been nearly the only one taking that shit home. It probably increased my wage by up to several dollars/hour.

I can be fairly utilitarian when it comes to nutrition so I would shove whatever came my way, into the juicer. I'd be drinking kale, ginger, garlic, beets (greens too), tomatoes, more ginger, more garlic, fennel, whatever. Had to get at least one apple and/or carrot in there. Holy shit was this stuff disgusting. I was also doing some carpentry at the time with a friend of mine and he would tell me, only slightly jokingly that I couldn't drink my juice on the job anymore because he wanted to puke just from the smell of it, in me. If I'd had to pay for it, it would've been some of the most expensive juice ever, I'd say.

One of the drawbacks to juicing - the cost.

#20 Lodi

Lodi

Pick door #3

• Expired Member
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

I juice quite frequently, I dont mind the taste of kale or spinach, or even chard and collards in my juice. Granted I always add fruit to my juice because vitamin c and lots of antioxidants in fruits, you get a lot of your minerals and enzymes from veggies.

Grow tomatoes, celery, lots of kale and spinach, and cucumbers. That makes you alot of juice throughout the summer, for a small amount of space and money.

MYC, great tip about buying new things man, read the manual! haha awesome tip.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!