• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,392 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

The hydraulic press-style juicers are apparently most efficient in terms of extracting the desired nutrients as well as maxing out the mileage from the vegetables which saves a lot of money over the long term. There are some decent write-ups online about the differences between the press and the rotary juicers and while the nicer presses are ridiculously expensive it seemed to me after looking close at my friend's that a cheaper shop press could be adapted to the purpose and the only specialty part I'd need would be the press plate and juicing bowl or whatever they call the part you put the veggies into. It might shave a few hundred bucks off to make your own; it'd just need all the shop grease and flaky paint cleaned up and sealed before bringing it into the kitchen, lol.

#22 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,630 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

I just keep looking at comparisons and user opinions.
Then I'm looking at the manuals:
http://www.qvc.com/c...M_Creations.pdf
http://www.rawfoodli...hp3a_manual.pdf

Some things that I've noted from reviews:
The "tamper" tool (included with the VitaMix) is a very handy item. Blendtec users complained of "cavitation" of certain items being blended or juiced - and having no way of pushing this material into the blades without using the "pulse" feature.
The VM blender uses specific blades for wet or dry processes. Not true with the BT blender - the same blade is used in all processes. VM's manual discusses maintenance and replacement of blades - BT's manual does not.
BT's blender has greater horsepower - Both blenders carry essentially the same manufacturer's warranty.

BT uses pre-programmed settings for blending and such
VM requires direct user interface - so there may be a learning curve with various items like making flour, nut butters, juices
VM give greater control over consistency for the experienced user - BT allows those unfamiliar to just jump right in
Here's a biggie for large motors:
VM has built-in thermal overload protection. The motor will shut itself down if it overheats.
BT clearly warns that a user must include a surge suppressor between their appliance and the wall outlet. Anybody happen to have one of these bad-boys just laying around the house? LOL I didn't think so. Here is what you'll need with the BlendTec unit according to the manufacturer:
http://www.leviton.c...&minisite=10251
The receptacle linked above costs approximately $50 USD each.
The device will protect equipment against a single event - then it must be replaced - at a cost of $50

I'm really liking the technical side of the Vitamix - it seems that the manufacturer plans for the user to play a role in maintenance and up-keep - with user serviceable parts.
Blendtec's machine is not user serviceable in any way (so far as I can tell).
Still studying.

#23 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

.. a manual, hydraulic kitchen unit: http://www.samsonjui...icing_press.php

The Welles Juice Press (also known as the Peoples Juice Press) extracts juice containing high levels of nutrients from fruit and vegetables by pressing (squeezing) pulp. The nutrients and juice are forced out of the pulp fibers when pressed using 2 tons of pressure. The pressure exerted by this pressing method is thought to release extra nutrients and enzymes that would otherwise 'adhere' to the pulp and left behind by juicing machines.

anecdotal or what ..

.. i don't necessarily endorse this particular unit, just searched "manual juice press"
i tend to prefer: few simple and easily replaceable or mendable parts,
and if you saw it, could say 'i could build that'

edit: my previous notion was a 3/4 horse garburator with stainless innards, really cheap in comparison, probably better suited to worm composting though :)

edit 2: for hydraulic i would try a V press-plate and slightly different V for the crush-plate... seems to make more sense to me.. leading me to think a more elaborate molded plate configuration might be ideal to improve shearing actions, but then V is simpler to hold alignment. ;)

edit 3: but then again you could make paper with the flat press .. or cards with the v. :)

Edited by Erkee, 27 February 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#24 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,630 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

edit: my previous notion was a 3/4 horse garburator with stainless innards, really cheap in comparison, probably better suited to worm composting though :)

Do you mean - a residential kitchen garbage disposal? Electrically operated disposer as would be mounted under a sink?
Man.....I gotta go take a pic for you.
A Friend just built the exact unit - garbage disposal mounted in a frame with looks nearly identical to your "manual press"
He is using it as an apple grinder for home cider production.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!