• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 woodyno8

woodyno8

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

hey guys i have been a long time watcher of the posts that go on here, i have been growing peyote for about a year now, and to be fair im just not sure that they are ok? i mean most peoples look so round and perfect and mine just dont, but anyway here are the pics of them, there under a 15W LED panel in warm and slightly humid incubator. it used to be incredibly dry but in the past day i decided to make it more humid not sure why though :P

also attached is a year old graft on pereskiopsis, basically just wont to know what you all think :) also the piece of paper on the incubator is to keep the seedlings out of direct sunlight.

DSC00110.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00107.jpg
  • DSC00108.jpg
  • DSC00109.jpg

#2 tizoc4u

tizoc4u

Arragappa

• Free Member
  • 785 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

Look good and alive. But then again I killed 9 of em last year I tried to acclimatize too early.

#3 teesus

teesus

numb

• Free Member
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Hi woodyno! they are looking healty, but streched and small for 1 year olds, the pereskiopsis graft too. they will grow faster and more roundish if you move the led pannel closer to the pots i reckon. maybe you can find a hood less high that fits the tray, or build something out of wrap for closer lighting. the peres will do better if you have a sunny spot for them.

#4 woodyno8

woodyno8

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for the reply, so what does it achieve moveing the light closer? Would it not shrivel them?

#5 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• App Administrator
  • 3,161 posts

Donator

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

They look fine woodyno8, a bit etolated, so as mentioned, more light will help. Start slowly aclimating them to lower humidity, and if it is doable for your climate, start aclimating them to some real sunlight when the temps get warm. This can be done by placing them where they get a little bit of morning sun and bright indirect light the rest of the day. Slowly increase the amount of morning sun until you have them used to direct sunlight in the morning, and broken sun mid day (such as you would find under the shade of a bush). You need to watch them carefully when you step up the light. If they are getting any signs of burn you want to back off and go slower. They should round out this season if they get enough light.

#6 Stoned Angel

Stoned Angel

Liberty Bat Dung Beetle

• VIP
  • 1,774 posts

Donator

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

They're so happy and health.:cacti: Is it just because I'm a girl... they are so cute and little.

#7 Fakeman

Fakeman

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 639 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Moving an artifical light source closer will increase the intensity of the light the plants receive. What is your lighting setup currently? Most likely overheating/shriveling will not be a problem with whatever you're using, unless it's something really inefficient and unsuited for plant growth (incandescent/halogen.) They can stand quite a lot of heat, and significantly more light than they are currently getting. As Skywatcher says sunlight is ideal, but you want to take baby steps especially with somewhat light starved plants. The warning sign is red/brown coloration, a bit is ok but if they all show a dramatic color change then you should probably hold off.

#8 woodyno8

woodyno8

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

So they wont be permantly deformed. Im useing a 15w led panel, there is a pic if you look :-). Im thinking of changing to two 30w spirals

#9 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• App Administrator
  • 3,161 posts

Donator

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

So they wont be permantly deformed.

They will fatten out, and begin to look more rounded. You can see this happening now at the head of these youngsters. The basal area will eventually become more root like in appearance (cork- like) as the head of the cactus fattens and expands.
As has been stated, moving the lighting closer will help and if you are maintaining good warm temps, you could feed them an appropriate cactus fert, something like a 3/6/3 to boost them a bit. All in all, if these are yearlings, the most sensitive period of enviromental needs has passed, and you can safely begin to toughen them up to more natural conditions.

#10 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• VIP
  • 1,549 posts

Donator

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

The red spectrum simulates fall sunset conditions (for flowering), they might want more blue light spectrum at this stage.
They look very healthy, don't worry about them just try to acclimate so they can get Sun Bennies. (Benifical rays of the Sun)
Congratulations!!!

#11 tizoc4u

tizoc4u

Arragappa

• Free Member
  • 785 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Sorry to be a thread jacker but I also am conceren about thease lophs I recently received. For two of em had no proble plumping up and the one in front not only has been taking its time but has a grayish tint to it. Anyone know what happening. Julie told me she hasnt watered them since Sept. And im worried cause usually they plump overnight.

Posted Image

#12 Pithead

Pithead

VIP Member

• VIP
  • 381 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

To the original poster - I don't like the look of the LED unit you're using. I am certain they are very low lumin output and the colour temperatures of those standard LED's will not be in an effective kelvin range.

#13 Peyote

Peyote

Peyote Coyote

• VIP
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Sorry to be a thread jacker but I also am conceren about thease lophs I recently received. For two of em had no proble plumping up and the one in front not only has been taking its time but has a grayish tint to it. Anyone know what happening. Julie told me she hasnt watered them since Sept. And im worried cause usually they plump overnight.

Posted Image

havnt watered mine since sept either....

#14 tizoc4u

tizoc4u

Arragappa

• Free Member
  • 785 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

I take em outside every morning were it receives shaded and direct light. As soon as it gets dark I put em in

#15 Peyote

Peyote

Peyote Coyote

• VIP
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

Where are these being kept? In a dark cellar or garage? Seems to be no light source visible. Cacti need LIGHT all year round.

i tie mine in a black garbage bag and put them in the closet, they need to hibernate in the winter

(sarcasm)

i keep them under full light 10 hours a day

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!