• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 BillyThKid

BillyThKid

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 632 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

Here is a picture of a Peruvian torch currently in my care. Looks a lot like your "san pedro" seedlings.

CAM00725.jpg

#22 Pithead

Pithead

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 381 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:40 PM

Nicely developing cactus there Billy.

Much appreciate the input from everyone and I'm now looking forward to seeing what growth mine will manage this growing season.

Now to dig out those Brigdessi (supposedly) seeds!

#23 BillyThKid

BillyThKid

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 632 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

Nicely developing cactus there Billy.

Much appreciate the input from everyone and I'm now looking forward to seeing what growth mine will manage this growing season.

Now to dig out those Brigdessi (supposedly) seeds!

Supposedly is a word i have learned to use a lot when it comes to seeds. there is so much cross breeding and hybrids out there it is next to impossible to know exactly what you have unless it came right from peru or a cactus dealer who keeps good genetic records.

A prime example of genetics and such would be the San pedro cactus. 90% of what you see listed as san pedro is really not. many years ago a san pedro was crossed with another cactus or two to get a more cold hardy cactus for land scapeing. Because of this it became a Predominant cultivar( or PC) of its species.

So when we order san pedro cuttings or seeds most of the time it comes from this PC pedro( also called a pachanot) which is not a good thing really. We get cheated out of a Peruvian Pedro and we get this old cultivar which is not found in nature. Not to mention the PC pedro is no where near as potent as its natural relatives. 

But thats just one example of many. Whenever people tell me what species a cactus is i always ask "yea, and what else?" 

honestly i would be happy about getting peruvian torch seeds instead of Pedro. 

• Pithead and 1967FordTitus like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!