#1 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,308 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

Anybody else on here make mediocre home brew wine, I wanna make some cider or mead lookin fer a recipe from some one I can pick their brain..:teeth:

#2 cheetolay

cheetolay

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

its funny you should mention this, as I have just recently looked into crafting some hard cider in the fall. I have 2 hewes crab apple trees in the back yard and was trying to figure out what to do with them. so i think this is the route I will go. Lots of good info out there on making hard ciders. i found this vid to be quite helpful.

[Direct Link]

#3 Baby Squid

Baby Squid

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

my brother has been makin cider for years, and I got started on it this year. I like the few batches of apfelwein I cooked up, and the Cuvee yeast I am using makes it nice and dry.

I looked around on a few homebrew forums and picked the recipe that seemed the most logical, it seems cider is pretty hard to screw up if you start clean.

#4 MeriwetherLewis

MeriwetherLewis

Explorer & Naturalist

• Expired Member
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

Thanks for posting that cheeto -

#5 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,308 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

good vid thnx and ive dropped a batch of organic fresh pressed cider from local market and its bubbling away right now with a red star champagne yeast for good dry cider,,,

#6 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,273 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

Wine Making 101 ( Or how to makewine from the fruits of your labors) I make prickly pear and also blackberry wine

Any fruit Wine

2 1 /2 quarts of berries or any fruit)
3 quarts water enough to make onegallon when juice is extracted
1 1 /2 package allpurpose wine yeast per gallon
4 Cups of Sugar
Need 2 -Gallon wine jug,2 bubblersand 2 gallon bottle stoppers (correct diameter for your gallon bottles )withholes (see below)

Boil fruit and water and sugar combo. Mash up with potato masher in water withsugar added, Boil for 30 min. Strain outpulp pressing through sieve. I save anddry pulp to put in cereals or breads) let strained -mixture cool add crushedCampden tablet and then put in clean sterile (cleaned with soap and or bleachand rinsed out well - A 1 gallon bottle and make sure that there is adequatespace to the top of the gallon jar(4 inches from top or more to allow for yeast fermentation to prevent boilover.) The campden tablets (sulfite) is to kill wildyeasts and bacteria which will make the wine go to vinegar if that is not whatyou want) Let stand one day then add the wine yeast with fermentation lock in placeover mouth of bottle until it stops bubbling,@6 weeks . Add another campdencrushed. Decant into old clean wine bottles and cork or keep fermentation lockin place and decant from gallon bottle as desired. If not bottled in a sterile manner will turnto vinegar if left to open air which can be used on salads.

Wine Making Equipment less than @$10.00investment for many many gallons of wine can be purchased. Call or write forcatalogue from the best and most economical source I have found: The HomeBrewery 1-800-62 BREWER 1506 Columbia Ave. #12 Riverside, Calif. 92507 orE-mail:acmebrew/@empirenet.com
Needed as basics are:
All Purpose Wine Yeast @ $.49 a packdoes about 2 gallons of wine.
2 plastic air locks and rubberstoppers* with holes (To do two gallonsof wine simultaneously) cost @ $1.80
2-1 gallon wine bottles (free fromfriends)
1 bottle campden tablets (sulfite-)for sterilization and to prevent wine from Going on to vinegar unless you wantthat @ $1.75 Optional
ameter of bottle openings for proper rubberstopper with holes ordering

#7 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,273 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

Fose Mead: 1 quart jar, 1 cup of honey, hand ful of red roses (not fed with chemicals). Mix honey and water in jar put rose petals on top and let sit at room temp with ring and cap loose for one month. stir occassionally and at the end of a month take out rose petals. Rose Mead

#8 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,949 posts

Donator

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

Moving to Tripp On Inn.....

Happy National Homebrewers day!!

#9 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,308 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

The last batch made was an 8.2 alc content since i purchased the hydrometer i can judge the gravity and apply more sugars to make stronger batch. The last 5 gallon batch was done a bit half assed fermented at 2 weeks and dropped in the original apple cider jugs. this was a strong wine and not too bad tasting. next time i will use secondary fermented to allow more yeast to drop out befor bottling and am in the process of purchasing the liter grolsh type bottles to make the next batch a sparkling apple wine.

the next ingredients that will be substituted will be brown sugar instead of white and a stick of cinnamon will be added to the secondary fermented jug to give a bit of spice to the final product. sofar the apple wine making has been successful and appealing to myself however the longer the wine sits in the jugs with the yeast on the bottom it has changed the flavor. i have since decanted the wine into diff jugs but flavor is obviously still there just not getting worse. i have been my biggest enemy in this endeavor because i haven't been able to let it sit long enough to get a proper tasting wine,only an adequate beverage....

#10 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,308 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

hey everyone....the cider making has gone well untill.......

ive been making the cider with out trying to carbonate it....it was good

i purchased the flip to p bottles and after a second racking i added a little xtra juice, bottled and waited for the carbonation to take place.

popped 2 of these after a few days and then a week.....finished the last one opened and when i went back to drink the next bottle it was tart and almost a hint of vinegar....

beer is carbonated this way but ive realized that when u carbonate the cider like beer you use up the xtra sugar that was making it a little sweet and smooth into more alcohol and drying it out...dry wouldnt be an issue if it werent for the vinegar taste..i didnt add any chems to stop fermentation to allow for carbonation...

i spose next time manual carbonation is in order.......

the cider has only been bottled for 3 weeks and the question i have is why did it turn vinegar like?????  is this a sterility issue....4 more bottles have been opened and all are foul...10 ltrs of cider busted 

they werent stored in the fridge either but in the room thats at 72 degrees.....could this have been the problem as well???

any one have a clue??? its frustrating to get a recipe down only to have it go bad....thnx and cheers

#11 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

Not sure about the vinegar taste - did you sanitize the bottles before adding juice and allowing to carbonate?  Had you sanitized all equipment used to rack?

Instead of adding more juice to carbonate you can add a fermentable sugar at the rate of 1oz per gallon, and if you want to backsweeten you can use a non-fermentable sweetener.

• wildedibles likes this

#12 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,308 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:10 AM

Not sure about the vinegar taste - did you sanitize the bottles before adding juice and allowing to carbonate?  Had you sanitized all equipment used to rack?

Instead of adding more juice to carbonate you can add a fermentable sugar at the rate of 1oz per gallon, and if you want to backsweeten you can use a non-fermentable sweetener.

it has to be a sanitary issue....untill that point i wasnt even bottling or using tubing just decant from carboy to jugs......thnx fer the input but it actually puts it in perspective i was so mad when i tasted it i hadn't really consider the xtra steps ive added....i tossed it all out...gonna start fresh and keep it simple i hadnt steralized the tubing i just rinsed w hot water....such a small thing but oh so big in the end....anyways thnx 

#13 permafrying

permafrying

what

• Expired Member
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:18 AM

Ya i only ever get the vinegar taste if i didnt keep everything properly cleaned. Small things make a big difference. Sucks when it comes to brewing because you wait so long to taste a batch. Best of luck man

Edited by permafrying, 25 November 2013 - 09:18 AM.

• invisibilitysyndrome likes this

#14 1967FordTitus

1967FordTitus

Mycotopiate

• Banned Member
  • 2,099 posts

Donator

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:01 PM

Now this sounds like something I might get a kick out of.

#15 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,308 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

Now this sounds like something I might get a kick out of.

how do u mean ? the wine making?  i love it but keep it simple stupid is best observed in all these endevours.....

#16 1967FordTitus

1967FordTitus

Mycotopiate

• Banned Member
  • 2,099 posts

Donator

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:28 PM

Yes, the winemaking.

#17 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,308 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:29 PM

Yes, the winemaking.

tis fun that is when ya dont fk it up....

#18 barong

barong

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:54 PM

Vingegar flavours are often the result of a bacterial infection known as acetobacter. It enhances oxidisation and the flavours & smells you associate with vinegar are.... well because you are actually on the way to making vinegar. It can contamoniate your batch from something as simple as a tiny little fruit fly getting into your batch and quickly ruining the whole lot.

#19 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,308 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:01 AM

Vingegar flavours are often the result of a bacterial infection known as acetobacter. It enhances oxidisation and the flavours & smells you associate with vinegar are.... well because you are actually on the way to making vinegar. It can contamoniate your batch from something as simple as a tiny little fruit fly getting into your batch and quickly ruining the whole lot.

its so frustrating when the cider is great and 2 days later its sour...its my fault fer sure now as i look back only so many corners can be cut befor disaster...

is there a temp stored cider should be at?? cider with out campden tablets that is??

#20 director of sound

director of sound

every thing is exactally the way it was aways suppose to be!

• Expired Member
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

here you go inviz! these two mead recipies i have won awards for, raspberry apricot mead and blueberry basil mead, both use a honey ratio of 3lbs per gallon.

Raspberry Apricot mead:

3lbs clover honey/gallon water

2lbs fresh raspberries/ gal

2lbs dried apricots (minced)/gal

yeast energizer 1tsp (read bottle for ammounts)

yeast nutrient 1tsp (same as above)

Lalvin K-1116 or D-47 yeast ( make starter of 500ml water (104-109*F), 50ml honey)

Bring water honey, fruits and nutrient/energizer to a simmer then reduce heat and hold at 160-180 for 20 min. cool with a wort chiller if you have one to 100*F or below and oxygenate by vigoursly stirring for 5-10 min or bubbling O2 through the wort. transfer into a fermentation bucket (fruit and all) pitch yeast and stand back! this one i usually see signs of a strong fermentation 2-4hr after pitching the yeast. let that ferment out (about 2 1/2 weeks) then rack into a secondary bucket and squeeze all the juice from the fruit into the secondary. let that ferment out as well ( about another week and a half) then rack into a carboy to clear. you will prob have to rack 2 more times or so about once a month. keep your airlock filled with glycerin so it dosent evap. it is ready to drink once clear but improves with age. i forget the starting gravity and final gravity but i wanna say it was somewhere around SG 1.60 and FG 1.02 or less... strong stuff prob somewhere around 15-16%

Blueberry Basil Mead:

clover honey 2 1/2 lbs / gal

buckwheat honey 1/2 lb / gal (dark)

cactus honey powder ( or other honey powder) 1/2 lb / gal

oregon blueberries with juice 6 cans (oregon brand has no preservatives and are just pasturized)

make up the difference with water to bring it up to size.

yeast nutrient

yeast energizer

1oz fresh sweet basil leaves (rinsed)

lalvin K-1116 or D-47 ( make same starter as above)

bring honey blueberries water and nutrient/energizer to a simmer, reduce heat to 160-180*F and keep there for about 20 min. cool to 100*F or below, oxygenate, transfer to bucket with fruit and pitch yeast. add the basil leaves when you pitch the yeast. this one also starts fermentation pretty fast. let that ferment out and transfer into secondary squeezing juice from the fruit as in the raspberry apricot mead and let that ferment out before racking into a carboy and clarifying the same way ( i.e. rack once a month till clear) this one tastes amazing on its own and is great for cooking, making sauces and i bet vinegar made from it would be amazing! once again it improves with age but is ready to drink once clear.

give me a few days and ill post a traditional mead (i.e. just honey and water) that is dark and has a nice malty notes to it. also check amazon for a book called the complete meadmaker lots of good info in there.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!