Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Home brew

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 director of sound

director of sound

every thing is exactally the way it was aways suppose to be!

• OG VIP
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:07 AM

ps both recipies are written per one gallon water added to all the other ingredients, so you scale up to large 5-6gal batches by multiplying all ammounts by the number of gallons you want to make (except for the yeast, just one packet will do for batches 1-15gal over that you might want to add more)

#22 permafrying

permafrying

what

• Expired Member
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

Both of those sound delicious. I think kd like a traditional basic mead more though. Ive always wanted to make it but the fermentation takes forever from what ive heard

#23 director of sound

director of sound

• OG VIP
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:41 AM

Not really any longer of a fermentation than a wine or strong cider.

#24 permafrying

permafrying

what

• Expired Member
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

Awesome i had always heard otherwise.

#25 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

I am a beekeeper,  basically 3 water to one honey (by volume) makes good mead.  Different honeys will have different water content, 17% is about average.  More honey sweeter wine, less honey dryer wine,

For those who like recipes this makes a nice hearty port like mead.
1 Gallon honey
3 Gallons water 
3 lemons & 2 oranges squeezed then thrown in with rind for flavor
some spices like (dozen cloves, couple cinnamon sticks, some grated or bruised ginger root, maybe heaping tablespoon) 
Simmer for an hour or so to release spices and marry the ingredients, discarding the heaviest foam that rises to top,

2 yeast packets or cubes  Wait until it cools to add the yeast.  Warm is ok just not to hot, don't want to cook the yeast.   (Fleichmans from grocery store is ok)

Primary ferment in a pail with a lid, until it calms down (few days, week at most)..  It will foam a lot at first and is easier to remove foam from pail..I use a new plastic diapper pail.

Secondary ferment in jugs or carboys with air lock.  If no air lock put a balloon over the jug and it will blow up from the gas release without letting in oxygen or vinegar yeasts..
Release pressure occasionally,

In about 3 weeks ready to bottle.  Gets better with age but drinkable any time.

Edited by Spooner, 27 November 2013 - 06:14 PM.

#26 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,331 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

Right on yall...... Director and Spooner...

great recipies.. added honey to the last batch deff gives a neat flavor.....

hey permafry hope u r well too my friend....making the mead or cider isnt that time consuming but it does take a little while but deff rewarding in the end specially ifn you have the fresh ingredients....cheers all

#27 permafrying

permafrying

what

• Expired Member
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

Im not bad. Ive made cider. Wine. Ghetto liqouer. Just not mead. Never even tried mead but imma have to brew some up when i get the chance sounds like itd be perfect for this time of year lol

#28 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,985 posts

Donator

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

I really need to brew something. It's been too long.

I just killed the last of my Oatmeal Stout from the summer. So delicious.

Now I have 3 empty kegs and nothing in my fermenters.

I never made a mead before. I may have to check that out.

#29 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,331 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

@firerat....meads allways been on my list...

i added fresh raw honey to the cider but now im not so sure if i wanna make mead anymore...

i spose by itself the honey is probly good as wine....

i just didnt really like it in the cider....

probly wouldnt hurt to make a gallon fer a starter to try out....

#30 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,985 posts

Donator

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

I'd always advise a gallon starter to start with.

The only issue I have making mead is finding a good source for good honey. I'm not doing it unless I have good product to start with.

That shit is expensive.

#31 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,331 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

I'd always advise a gallon starter to start with.

The only issue I have making mead is finding a good source for good honey. I'm not doing it unless I have good product to start with.

That shit is expensive.

the apple orchard that i get the cider from has wild honey and its expensive. 18$ for a qt mason jar something like 2.3 lb...

#32 director of sound

director of sound

• OG VIP
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

1qt of honey is about 5lbs, i use to buy the 5lb jars of honey at sams club and the bottle is the same size as a 1qt mason jar. So thats not really a bad price i was paying $15 for 5lb of name brand honey. And you only need 15lbs or 3 qt jars or so for a 5gal batch of dry mead or 20lbs/4 jars for sweet mead. You should check out this book, lotsa good info in there----> http://www.amazon.co...r=8-1&pi=SY200
  • invisibilitysyndrome likes this

#33 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,331 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:42 AM

1qt of honey is about 5lbs, i use to buy the 5lb jars of honey at sams club and the bottle is the same size as a 1qt mason jar. So thats not really a bad price i was paying $15 for 5lb of name brand honey. And you only need 15lbs or 3 qt jars or so for a 5gal batch of dry mead or 20lbs/4 jars for sweet mead. You should check out this book, lotsa good info in there----> http://www.amazon.co...r=8-1&pi=SY200

right on....they are calling it 44 oz at 2 3/4 lb on their lable maybe honey has diff weight based on purity or if its pasturised..either way thnx for the link...the honey apple cider i made took me a minute to like, its an aquired taste.....now im hooked...thnx again

#34 cym

cym

Forming Member

• OG VIP
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:36 PM

DOS those recipes sound great, you guys have me motivated to start brewing.
I've always wanted to but reading how relatively simple it is to brew mead, I would love to get going ASAP.

My long term goal will be to have 3 types of beer going at all times but it will take me awhile to piece togetherr the necessary equipment for that.

Other than those already listed, does anyone have a preferred vendor for brewing equipment and supplies?
I'd like to get a decent setup with a couple 5gallon carboys going at least until I can manage more but will need to read more into what is the basics needed for beer.

Awesome thread.

#35 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:04 PM

Read How to Brew by Jim Palmer.  It includes an equipment list so you can price gear from various retailers.  When I didn't live within driving distance of a brew shop, I ordered online, mostly from Northern Brewer.  

HomeBrewTalk is a good forum for brewing.  A couple threads worth reading are:

Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

Edwort's Apfelwein

#36 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,331 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:05 AM

good info man.^^^^   i also find that wine is totaly simple.. more so than beer. specially if you get into crafting your beer......

little update on the last apple wine is that the batch that was put down with the 2 lb of fresh honey has corbonated and dried up nicely and im in love with it....

it deff has an earthy taste more than a hint of honey but balances out well with the cider......i forgot 2 of the bottles and they aged out well in a short period of time way more mellow than when it was bottled......

also to CYM......its really cheep to get started a couple of 5 gallon buckets from the depot store clear tubing if ya like also from depot store lids for buckets.......if ya dont have an air lock run a piece of tubing into a cup of bleachy water.....ive been putting the wine in to 2 ltr soda bottles so they are free so to speak....thats it really cept for the yeast n juice..

makin wine for the down low......cant say for sure on the brew supply i live in the 2nd largest beer town voted this year so we have a few local but really all the supplies can be bought cheep xcept for the yeast... i use champagne yeast to maximise the alc % and to make a dry wine....good luck and thnx yall...

#37 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,985 posts

Donator

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:08 AM

Read How to Brew by Jim Palmer.  It includes an equipment list so you can price gear from various retailers.  When I didn't live within driving distance of a brew shop, I ordered online, mostly from Northern Brewer.  

HomeBrewTalk is a good forum for brewing.  A couple threads worth reading are:

Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

Edwort's Apfelwein

Good info.

Homebrewtalk is my home away from home.

How to Brew is a must read for anyone wanting to get into home brewing.

#38 cym

cym

Forming Member

• OG VIP
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

I have this that no one is drinking http://www.sunrypeus...riety=160 128oz
As a starter project, could I just add sugar, yeast, throw a bung/airlock on the top and do it in the plastic bottle? It's pretty rigid.

#39 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,985 posts

Donator

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

Sure.

Might have a little jailhouse twang to it, but in theory it'll work.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!