• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:51 AM

Ahh yes , the turbo 500, gotta love the tax refund !!
Now I can make "pure water" to make my mash, uh beer out of..........heh heh heh or something like that.........

IMG_2957.JPG

reflux heaven.........

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2950.JPG
  • IMG_2958.JPG

• -=Zeus=- and MrGumball like this

#2 anticheffy

anticheffy

• OG VIP
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:25 AM

Part Dux :: Ready to go......IMG_2966.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2962.JPG
  • IMG_2965.JPG

#3 anticheffy

anticheffy

• OG VIP
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:36 AM

Temperature control was a bit difficult to master as I am on a well with a pump and my water pressure varies greatly as the pump cycles. IMG_2973.JPG Funny how vodka starts out so black.....heh heh it has carbon in it to absorb unwanted byproducts.....And the blow out jar, bubblers are just too small to take the load...........

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2976.JPG
  • IMG_2970.JPG
  • IMG_2972.JPG

• Uncle G likes this

#4 anticheffy

anticheffy

• OG VIP
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

Brew brew brewzie brew.....IMG_3006.JPG ahhhhhhh this brandy turned out soooo gooood !! CHEERS !!!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2973.JPG
  • IMG_2978.JPG
  • IMG_2986.JPG

• MrGumball likes this

#5 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

I hear ya, i've watched a few videos on the youtube about the Turbo 500 and it looks to be a kick ass distillation unit.

That barrel you have is cool as hell. By the color of the brandy it looks like it has done its job well.

Keep them pics coming.

Edited by eastwood, 17 April 2013 - 09:22 PM.

• shiitakegrower likes this

#6 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

I was just looking at this thread a few hours ago. Pretty kewl

#7 anticheffy

anticheffy

• OG VIP
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

This is corn mash after the turbo clear was added to precipitate the carbon cleanser and the other corn solids out. IMG_3013.JPG When it all cools, I will pitch the yeast, probably tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3010.JPG

#8 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

Above you said you had a yield of 1/2 gallon (hearts), was that from 5 gallons?

Does yield vary from product distilled (Vodka vs Rum vs Brandy)?

#9 mandrax

mandrax

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

very interesting work , I have made my own lager before but this is Hi-Tek home brewing . Please keep updating . Now to find out how much that turbo jobby costs .

#10 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,949 posts

Donator

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

How the hell did I miss this!!

Awesome work bro!!

#11 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

anticheffy as much anymore. Using the computer with this set up has got to be challenge.

Screw that dang posting I will post as soon as I stop drinking. We are only catching him between drips.

Enough of the poor jokes.

How long is taking for a run off of 5 gallons mash?

#12 anticheffy

anticheffy

• OG VIP
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

Heh Heh Heh yea I don't post much any more. I've been having a blast figuring out this spirited machine. Overall though I have really been impressed with the results I am getting. I have always been a lover of good scotch, the best I can afford, and now I can say I am producing beverages that are so good I see no reason to go to the liquor store again. I like my corn whisky better than any scotch I have ever had. And being a retired chef I have had the opportunity to sample some fine fine drinkables. As far as fermentation times I have been going about 2 weeks and generally getting about 3 liters of distillate at 190 proof, after I cut that down with distilled water I get about 5 to 6 liters of finished product. If I let the fermentation go three weeks I see better results. 4 to 5 liters of distillate from a 6 gallon mash, Its amazing how much of the flavor of what you ferment comes through in the distillate. The corn flavor in the whiskey, the grape flavor in the brandy, no flavor in the vodka. I cant wait to taste the rum, the smell of the molasses and brown sugar fermenting is like candy in the air, very heavy and sweet. I'm not a big rum drinker but I had to try it. The Turbo was very expensive, almost 600.00 and all the supplies and little do dads add up to, but consider the liquor store hasn't got any of my money for a few months now and wont for the near future, its a good deal.

#13 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

I cut my first too much. Read to much about throats drying out and other side effects. I guess being on the side of caution doesn't hurt until you mess it all up because. Chef your going to have to give us some recipes. hints at least

#14 anticheffy

anticheffy

• OG VIP
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

Yes there are concerns when drinking any alcohol straight, but (and I can’t believe "I" am saying this) moderation is the key.. I almost always have my liquor straight, sometimes with Ice, but that's it.
Cheap liquor is for mixing, top shelf stuff should be consumed in a manner that lets all the finer qualities show through. A great deal of history and skills from people that really knew there shit are passed through to us, the consumer to be appreciated as is, not mixed with coke or whatever.
The liquor always comes off at about 190 proof with this machine no matter what I feed it. Still I always measure it with a hydrometer. Then when I bottle it I put 500ml of product in a bottle then add 500 ml of distilled water which brings down the proof to 95 ish. Then with the addition of a few ice cubes at serving time it mellows to a very drinkable level, well, drinkable by my standards anyway.
Recipes: Hmm well the first batch I did was a corn whiskey recipe from some book that, as with most recipes, sounded much more difficult that it really was. I used cold rolled corn, 6 row barley, and rolled oats along with corn sugar (dextrose), I followed all the boiling temperatures it said to in order to get the proper conversion of starch to sugars, tested it with a drop of iodine on a plate to check for remaining starch, it didn't turn blue so I was good to go. I let it cool and put it in the fermenter with a bag of turbo yeast and let her go. It made a batch of something I could only equate to corn flavored ass juice... Not a pleasant experience. The beer store guy assured me that if I bought the charcoal filter pot he had on the shelf that the whisky could be made more drinkable, he was right. It’s just a giant Britta filter. Its only downfall is the filter cartridge is only good for one run. Guess what, beer store guy sells six dollar replacements for that too, go figger.
So after all that I was overwhelmingly compelled to just let my inner alcoholic cheffy self show through. I've brewed a truckload of beer in my life, I've (not kidding I did the math) made a half a million loaves of bread by hand with no mixer, I've made all kinds of dough's and now had a batch of whiskey under my belt, no pun intended. I can truly stand up and say, I AM ONE WITH YEAST!!" Yeast is a simple thing, it eats sugar and shits alcohol and CO2, and it’s not very picky about the sugar part, most anything will do. And it likes temperatures that we humans also find comfortable.
SO I have just been going for it.
Recipes? There are no stinking recipes (said in my best Tony Montana voice)…….lol,,,,,it’s all in play subject to changes of whim.
Here’s what I have been doing, each time I amend the process somewhat to try to tease a few hundred more ml of distillate out of the works. So any way, here are the current mixes.
Vodka:
In a large class carboy I place about 3 gallons of water. Then in a pot on the stove I put 15 pounds of table sugar and fill the pot with water, gently warming the water helps the sugar dissolve better. When the water is clear, all the sugar is dissolved, add it to the water in the carboy and top off with more water to fill the vessel. Add a pack of turbo-yeast ( beer store guy, ten dollars) when the temperature drops to below 75°F, I also add a packet of turbo carbon to help purify the wash (beer store guy ten dollars) put on an air lock and let it go for at least two weeks below 75°F. The mix is black as all get out from the carbon so one day before I want to cook it I add one pack of turbo-clear (beer store guy ten dollars) and the wash clears up like water. Put it in the machine and run it. This makes about 7 or 8 liters of finished (80ish proof) drinkable vodka. And to me it tastes better than what I buy from the store. Also I find it useful to keep a stock of undiluted 190p vodka distillate on hand for other purposes I will delve into later.
Corn whiskey:
I am going the easy route on this one these days, the hell with all that whole grain work. It’s a huge pain and a huge mess with all the crap that you have to filter out before you cook it. So we will change the name of this to something different out of respect for the great ole shiners that came before us. They don’t seem to worry about all the conversion crap anyway…lol
Tamale Whiskey:
Yes I said tamale, as in the Mexican culinary delight, the tamale.
In a large pot on the stove place 15 pounds of dextrose and enough water to cover it a few inches. Gently heat and stir until the sugar dissolves and turns clear. Add more water if needed. I generally use a plastic fermenter for this so I don’t have to work through the small hole on top of a carboy. We can just call this device a bucket, but it will hold about 35 liters and has a lid with an air lock. Put a couple gallons of hot tap water in the bucket and add a 5 pound bag of masa (ground corn tamale mix) and stir well. Add the sugar water from the previous step, top off with hot tap water and mix well. I tried adding the turbo carbon to this as well to see if it would help with the taste. When cool add a bag of turbo yeast and let it go for three weeks. Again I clear it up with a bag of turbo clear a day before cooking. I extracted a solid four liters of distillate from this which made 8 liters of finished product and I gotta tell ya, it fucking rocks!! It tastes really good, definitely a do over. Tamale whiskey? Who would have thought?
Brandy:
Ahh brandy, I have had a lifelong romance with this woman that no man can ever really have, lady brandy, eau de vie, water of life, sex in a glass. Probably the first, as far as I know, distilled beverage created by man. And this is one thing man did right. Basic brandy is, and I hate to use the word but, “just” distilled wine. I went all out and purchased a handmade white oak 10 liter charred barrel in order to make proper homage to the lady spirit, an added expense well worth the extra Benjamin.
OK: I go to Costco and buy a case of Paul Newman’s own 100% pure grape juice. It’s about five gallons all told. It is 6 large bottles, I think 96 ounces each. In a large pot on the stove I put 15 pounds of dextrose and cover it with grape juice (about 2 jugs) and gently heat to dissolve the sugar. Adding more juice if needed. Place the remaining 4 jugs of juice in the carboy and add the dissolved sugar/juice mix to it. Top off with hot tap water and when cool add a bag of turbo yeast and let it go for at least three weeks. Congratulations, you just made wine.
For some reason unbeknownst to me the alcohol content of this leaves a little to be desired so I developed a little trick to greatly increase the yield. Above in the vodka section I mentioned to always keep a stock of pure undiluted vodka on hand. Here is where that comes in to play.
Siphon the wine into the still and add two or three liters of the pure vodka also. Now when you cook it, instead of getting three liters of pure brandy you get five or six when it pulls out the extra added spirit. And the taste is still as if it were all brandy, an undetectable difference other that it fills the cask fuller. The virgin brandy is put into the cask, I had to run a couple batches to get enough to fill it and still have some extra for topping off. The angels definitely take their cut, and so do I, so the cask needs topped off from time to time as the level drops. After a couple weeks it developed that warm wonderful color and smooth pallet that a proper lady should possess. Again I measure 500 ml of the finished brandy into a bottle and add 500 ml of distilled water to bring the proof down to a drinkable level.
It is nothing short of heaven………..
Rum:
This is a new project, not finished yet but here is what I have so far..
In a large pot on the stove I put a gallon of water on to boil. When boiling I added four jars of molasses. I think they were about a quart each. I used the boiling water to help dissolve the molasses better. Then I added 15 pounds of brown cane sugar and a bit more water to help it all dissolve. I put a couple gallons of cold water in the carboy to help cool down the sugar/molasses mix better so I wouldn’t shock the glass carboy with the hot sugar mix. In retrospect I should have let it just cool on the stove but Mrs. Anti was due home soon and I didn’t want to turn over a messy kitchen to her, it needed to get it cleaned up. The next day I pitched the turbo yeast and it now has one week on the shelf and two weeks to go. We’ll see how it turns out..
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance: Peace Out.........ANti IMG_3016.JPG Found a new pimp cup at the crab and wine festival yesterday !!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3016.JPG

Edited by anticheffy, 28 April 2013 - 12:59 PM.

• TVCasualty and kcmoxtractor like this

#15 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

wow that big post. I will be reading in the next week. thanks Cheff

#16 anticheffy

anticheffy

• OG VIP
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

OH MERGHOD !!! The rum turned out freakin killer! And I'm not a big rum drinker, well , I wasn't anyway. Even in the distilled spirit, mixed with a Coke Zero, I can still strongly detect the notes of molasses and brown sugar shining through. WOW this is a do over.

#17 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,351 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

OH MERGHOD !!! The rum turned out freakin killer! And I'm not a big rum drinker, well , I wasn't anyway. Even in the distilled spirit, mixed with a Coke Zero, I can still strongly detect the notes of molasses and brown sugar shining through. WOW this is a do over.

I have been a certified member of the Rum Dummies Club for a very long time. I like it dark and light and anyway its mixed in a glass.
This thread has inspired me. I trully appreciate the picture essay as you go....
Thank you cheffy......

#18 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

Well I caught a kitchen on fire not my kitchen but a kitchen. I didnt have time to react to vapors coming out the still before poof. But Myers makes a very good rum. So a toss to you my friend and good vibes your way.

#19 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,831 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

Well I caught a kitchen on fire not my kitchen but a kitchen. I didn't have time to react to vapors coming out the still before poof.

There is always TIME to do things right the first time. If not then there certainly is not time to do them a second third or, OH SHIT THE KITCHEN IS ON FIRE, time. Distilling is only dangerous if you are not following proper safe operating procedures. Just like an extraction, or running a pressure cooker. You cant blame the equipment because if the operator inspected it, it should be perfectly safe to operate. If not then you should have caught it before starting. Because ultimately your safety is your responsibility.

[h=3]Basic Safety Guidelines when Distilling[/h] Don't distill in a closed room. Try and keep some through-draught (eg both a window and door open)
If your still leaks (liquid or steam) - fix it instead of using it
Collect the alcohol securely - don't put yourself in a position where its easy to knock over the collection vessel etc, or bump the tube out of it. This means having enough space to work in, well lit, tidy.

Keep a fire extinguisher with you (and on your side of whatever is going to catch fire)
If using electrical heating, have an RCD on the line (residual current device - a fancy circuit breaker)
Check your still with water-only the first time you use it, to make sure your condenser is up to the job. You don't want vapor coming out of the collection tube.

Be sober - its not a time to be making drunken mistakes.

Pay attention to the still - check it regularly (cooling water still flowing, no leaks, collecting nicely, all temperatures OK)
Do the maths - don't boil the still dry
Make sure the outlet tube is free flowing - not crimped or blocked in any way.
Make sure the still design is such that you can't pressurize the still - it should always be able to vent somehow to atmosphere. There shouldn't be valves such that you can fully close the column off

Don't smoke - you don't want ignition sources around a liquid as flammable as gasoline

I hope no one was hurt and property damage was not enough to have to call the fire department. Keep it safe, the consequences are far to high to pay for some booze.

#20 anticheffy

anticheffy

• OG VIP
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:32 AM

Yet another good thing about Turbo is its a closed system with self contained electric heat. No vapors escaping, only condensed liquid exposed to the air, which, although flamable, accidental ignition is only a small probability, and there is no ignition source. Its about as safe as it can get.

Picked up some more molasses today, a little at a time, its a bit pricey.

:dance:
  • bigjimmy likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!