Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Hemp oil for THC extractions for edibles?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Has anyone used hemp oil for extra ting THC to use in edibles?

seems to be better for the body than even coconut oil!

#2 Blueringer

Blueringer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

I think the hemp oil you are thinking of comes from the seeds and doesn't contain thc to my knowledge.

#3 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

Yes the hemp oil comes from the seed but retread and you will see I am wanting to use that oil to extract THC from weed.

Looks like a search on the Internet says yes
https://www.greenpas...aling-hemp-oil/

This method uses a pressure cooker with lemon juice water and oil. Then freezes the water and only the oil is left over. Way different method then what I've used before.

Worth reading the whole post on this link with the video

Fascinating!!!

heres another method

https://www.dmt-nexu...g=posts&t=23804

interesting comment that some people feel coconut oil hits the body faster

Edited by PsyBearknot, 11 March 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#4 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

I think the hemp oil you are thinking of comes from the seeds and doesn't contain thc to my knowledge.

thats exactly the oil he was referring to... lol

It contains extreme amounts of THCa though ;) which is what he is most likely looking for when he made the
reference to being more nutritious then Coco Butter :)

Nice thread Bearknot :) good idea on that, never even crossed my mind to use hemp oil instead of
grape or coconut oil lol

#5 Blueringer

Blueringer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

Ok I misunderstood...for some reason I thought you wanted to extract the thc from the oil?? Its all clear now!:rasta:

I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work..its a natural oil from the plant itself so it makes sense that it would bind with THC.

Have you ever added lecithin to your oils/butter?? Try it I think you will like the results

#6 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

He does add lecithin to his products.

Other than the cost (of the hemp oil) it seems like a great idea, imo.

Edited by mate0x, 12 March 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#7 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

I'm a total soy lecithin believer. On most of the edible threads I post on I babble about using it. I don't think people get how much more efficient it is in the way it helps the body absorb the extracted THC and how cheep it is. Most people I talk to just say...well I'm happy with my extract I don't need to make it anymore stronger. It's not about that its the efficiency and benefits of it helping the body and the buzz.

One thing I have found is to NOT use it in butter extract. Lodi unfortunately experienced this and a quick search on the net advises to add the lecithin after extracting the THC in the butter.

Id even go as far as saying the soy lecithin would kick up some shroom tea or a batch of TV casualty's honey.

Both of these seem difficult for the body to absorb and lecithin helps the body absorb.

#8 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

I also like using lecithin in coconut + hash oil mixture for edibles. It seems to really help make a better dispersed oil blend. I got a HUGE jar of it that will last me years and years for less than $15.

#9 Blueringer

Blueringer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

I also like using lecithin in coconut + hash oil mixture for edibles. It seems to really help make a better dispersed oil blend. I got a HUGE jar of it that will last me years and years for less than $15.

Yes thats what its used for in the culinary field...its an emulsifier.

Soy lecithin also contains essential fatty acids needed for the building of all plant/animal cell membranes. The body wants it naturally.

#10 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

He does add lecithin to his products.

Other than the cost it seems like a great idea, imo.

Mate - your talking the cost of the hemp oil right?? cause the soy lecithin is pretty dang cheep IME

I think the extra cost for me is out weighed by the benefits. I am trying to switch from smoking to edibles. I think my lungs need a break, tired of dodging the scent of smoking and time it takes to smoke. I dont have access to the kind/medicinal quality bud that i see here at topia. (Damn i wish i can grow my own!!!)

But I still enjoy consuming often/regularly and regular oils and butters don't help with my weight loss efforts. So a healthier option of hemp oil for regular oils and coconut oil for butters (in most butter applications) is a benefit. My goal is the healthiest most efficient way to keep me at the level of buzz i desire AND gain the health benefits of edibles.

I guess it all depends on what the desired out come and the available finances of the person extracting.

#11 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

Yea, I edited. Hemp oil is $$$$ up here. I can see your point about health concerns, however are you switching all of your cooking oils/fats to hemp?

I make hash oil and you can just add it to anything.

#12 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

I am trying to switch my cooking oils that are not extracts to healthier choices but not necessarily hemp only. Looking at moving to only using hemp or coconut for my extractions.

is your hash oil like a BHO or is that a different type of extract?

#13 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

Yes, I do a solvent extraction.

I only cook with extracts now, as it allows excellent control over potency and is super easy to add to anything. Even water hash absorbs fairly well into cooking oils/fats.

But it would also let you use less or more of an oil in a recipe, or w/e with out dropping potency or ruining the texture. Instead of using a ton of hemp oil to do the extract, keep a bottle around and mix some hash oil into it when you want it for a recipe. Seems easier in my head

#14 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

Ya the only solvent extraction I've only done is an ISO extract. It formed this goo that I tried to then dissolve in oil and well that was nothing less then a disaster. Solvents still make me a little nervous. Can you point me to a tek of yours or what you follow?

#15 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

Did you warm the oil? My hash oil dissolves in cooking oil instantly at the right temp. Maybe one swirl with a butter knife.

I don't think we have an official tech, I just use acetone instead of ISO and purge it really well. Super quick rinse with the solvent, no soaking or anything.

#16 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

Ya the oil was heated cause I was going to add it to the oil I was extracting some other bud in.

With the quick wash with acetone I am assuming your plant material is a nice quality. Since I only have access to the bricked up bag weed would it need a soak or would acetone as the solvent pull what is needs from this quick wash?

#17 Blueringer

Blueringer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

If you let it soak for any duration you start getting more and more chlorophyll in the extract. At least thats my experience and the results arent as tastey.

Perhaps, grind your stuf up to expose more surface area.

#18 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

Break it up well, make sure its nice and dry, then freeze it for a while.

frozen_trim.jpg

Get the acetone really cold too (only put it in the freezer if it seals well, solvents in freezer is typically not smart - but works with saftey)

I like to rig up a funnel, put the trim in it, hold it over a coffee filter and strainer..... then pour the cold acetone right over it. More like the BHO process.

You can do the quiso, super-fast 20 second rinse and dump... but the difference is visible.

https://mycotopia.ne...tml#post1149667

^ Don't do it at 260F, too high. I keep it between 100-140 now and let it ride. 260 is literally boiling the acetone, I should not recommend people do that.

^ That is the quick wash process with naphtha... acetone works better, and the pour-through-rinse takes it up another notch:

https://mycotopia.ne...tml#post1153648

But I forgot the coffee filter in that series of shots.

Here is the end result of the acetone process:

100_3862.JPG

Edited by mate0x, 13 March 2013 - 12:02 PM.

• PsyBearknot likes this

#19 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

GDAMN Mate that's an epic thread and may I say WOW that's some beautiful bud you have.

I've spent the whole evening reading your thread and clicking on the pic and drooling in awe.

#20 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

Thanks dude, it has been a pleasure posting. Learning as I go, it's nice have the ability to look back.

Still been meaning to try your lecithin reccomendation, haven't been doing edibles much recently.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!