#21 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,391 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:57 PM

Meat is no problem at all Skye, if you can put up vegies, you can put up meat. You just have to follow the National Center for Home Food Preservation guide for how long, and at what temp and pressure to make sure your meat is fully cooked. Other then that its all the same as PC'ing anything else.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/index.html

I personally like home canned meat, it keeps it very moist and tender and you can use it to supplement many other dishes. Ready to eat right out of the jar if you have to, and needs no refrigeration...

:)
  • Heirloom Spores likes this

#22 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:10 AM

I personally like home canned meat, it keeps it very moist and tender and you can use it to supplement many other dishes. Ready to eat right out of the jar if you have to, and needs no refrigeration...

^^^^ The two main reason why I process most of my own food.

The freshness and the fact it doesnt take up fridge space(aka, doesnt REQUIRE electricity to be STORED... what a crock imo lol )

• Juthro and Heirloom Spores like this

#23 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,391 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:16 PM

So I just got done canning up 14 pints of salmon!! Got'em all to seal, that a good thing.

1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Pint chunked sockeye salmon.
Put lid on jar and jars in canner.

Cook 100 min @ 10psi, and your done... :)

1.jpg
  • Il19z8rn4li1 and Heirloom Spores like this

#24 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,391 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:17 PM

So I saw DP on here the other day. I was wondering if he was still actively canning his food.

I certainly am. I did up 16 pints of boneless skinless breasts here a week or two ago, and I just put 12 pints of stew meat(beef) in the PC for it's run. While that is cooking, I will be prepping another case of pint jars with potatoes from our garden for the second run. It's a good time of year to do it here, as our high temp was 22*F today and its snowing hard.

It is such a easy way to save money, by buying in bulk when its on sale, and preserving it for later use. Ready to eat right out of the jar if you have to, and no refrigeration needed.

So how about it, who else out there is canning their own food. I know most of you have the tools to do so.

You folks know that pressure canners were not designed to only sterilize jars of grain for growing mushrooms, right?

• AGAMA and Heirloom Spores like this

#25 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 2,921 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:39 PM

I can much of my garden stuff and also look for stuff on sale. I also like to can pint size meals with the game I acquire such as stews and soups. There is nothing like sitting at home on -40 degree day and warming up some soup and veggies from the garden cuz it's to damn cold to go to the store. If one doesn't have home canned stuff in the pantry, the the massive pile of mason jars start to look suspicious. But I get the feeling if I were in Alaska, which I may be very soon, I would be canning much more than I already do.

Edited by coorsmikey, 08 November 2015 - 07:40 PM.

• Juthro and Heirloom Spores like this

#26 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,314 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:01 PM

I am certainly going to start, I need to get a supply of food stocked up just in case. Canning in cold weather heats the house to.
I learned to can from my mom and always helped make jams , I even picked the fruit.

I think I will start with chili , potato soup, chicken n noodles. My sister always butchers chicken, pork and beef that she raised.

I do like the fact that no refrigeration is needed. I have wanted to try smoking as preservation , like smoked fish.

I looked into the cost of store bought food for a years supply and though I could do this for less and better.

Homade is always the best.

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 08 November 2015 - 10:02 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#27 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,391 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:23 AM

But I get the feeling if I were in Alaska, which I may be very soon, I would be canning much more than I already do.

Brother, if you make it here, I will sport you a mixed case of beans, salmon, chicken, and beef, just to help you get started. You have my word.

Cost of living is higher here then what you are used to, and having some meals in a box can help a lot when your first getting your footing. You let me know when you arrive, and I can deliver.

I know it is no small venture to come here. You have to leave most of what you had, and start new. It is not a small challenge. I will help where I can.

If you are in need, I will do what I can. It's the way it is done here, not even counting the myco connection, witch is strong BTW.

• coorsmikey and Heirloom Spores like this

#28 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,391 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:29 AM

Sorry I forgot to report on the canning, lol.

I got 12 of 12 pints to seal on the stew meat. And we decided to use quarts for the potatoes, but one out of 7 did not seal.

So all that means is, fried potatoes for breakfast tomorrow and probably another helping for lunch. But we still have six quarts sealed fine for the pantry.

I call it a good day.

#29 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,314 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:54 AM

This is real nice topic, love the recipes that you guys use.

thanks for posting all this, should inspire a few or more to put up some good eats. I need to pick up some new lids.

• Juthro likes this

#30 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:42 PM

I just canned up about 4 gallons of Kale and Sausage zuppa :) 

PA300044.JPG

PA300046.JPG

PA300059.JPG

PA300064.JPG

EDIT- 

I edited because I thought that the auto COOKER i was looking was a canner... 

I was mistaken for weeks lol hahahah

Well.. sticking to the good ol way of canning

Edited by Il19z8rn4li1, 09 November 2015 - 03:48 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#31 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,391 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:59 PM

Its still a cool tool, I would like to have a separate pressure cooker. I am going to have to keep those in mind.

Killer looking soup Alfa!

#32 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,314 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:32 PM

a little feed back from my sister she has a dozen qts of open range chicken. she opened one when my nephew came home for a weekend and everyone said it was the best meal they had canned chicken with broth , mashed potatos.. ect.

I am so proud of her learning to be in charge of her food supply, depending on only her self. She has used my freezer many times to store food but now she sold on canning. my favorite sister maybe because she's a hippie chick who produces her own food, medicine
and is a great friend and caring parent funny most of here kids 3 of 4 don't smoke or drink just happy. I think this is cause they had a great mom who understood thenm and didn't need to self medicate. they grew up around weed , now all grown up. her 2 boys are my best friends. the one who smokes weed is a good trip buddy for being 35 & I'm 55. He has helped with out door grows and shrooms.

he did 5 years for weed now lives with me till he gets a new place, I will miss him leaving my mom taught him to cool and can foos as well

rambled a bit to much  but this thread excited me and I will show some of my newly canned food.

thanks for this exciting food canning topic.

• Juthro likes this

#33 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,391 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2015 - 02:03 PM

Very cool HS. Meat is one of the easiest things to can, and your sister has one up on me, in that I don't raise my own chickens. All my canned chicken was purchased at the grocery store.

Another thing I like to do with whole chickens is to smoke them whole. Eat a couple of meals off them, then strip the remaining meat. Add a bunch of onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and a couple of bay leaves to their carcass in a stock pot full of water. Boil that bad boy down for 3 or 4 hours, strain it, and then can the broth. It makes a really good chicken/vegetable broth, and keeps the nice smoked flavor. I have high blood pressure and this is a great way for me to cut out a massive amount of salt out of my diet, while still eating good tasting food.

I think it is cool that you've caught the canning bug.

Peace and wellness,
Juth

#34 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,314 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2015 - 02:27 PM

wow never had smoked chicken , will have to try it, your chicken sound great.

I can probably find a recipe on line for smoking a chickem. I have to ask what wood would you suggest?

I might be able to do one store bought chicken to take to her house for thanksgiving.

I figure if I can 4-7 a month I wil have a small supply in case of anything. Along with foods I love.
going to do dry beans and a little ham with a few vegs very soon love my beans.

edit my sister hatches her own eggs and sell them to a farm supply a few miles from me, I think I might try to raise a few thins spring. I remember butchering chickens with my dad when I was 10 or so ,hated pulling out the feathers, he did a boiling water dip but for a 10 year old it was a chore, that taugh me. my dad showed me how to birth calves including breach birth as young as 5. No hurry to do that ,his arm up to the shoulder , no glove ( 1965) wrapped a chain around the calf pushed him back in turned around and then out, they both survived. my dad was cussing up a storm for a water hose to was off.

good time as I look back on them  I grew up in California where we grew the chickens and cows though he was in the Marine Corp in his time off he did work for a house on scripps ranch.
now I live in Iowa a farm state.

to good times for us all and great food

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 15 November 2015 - 02:39 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#35 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,391 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:17 PM

I use an electric smoker with a mail box mod for cold smoking. I then use a wood pellet burner inside the mail box. This lets me get 8 to 10 hours of cold smoke with out having to mess with it. And with the smoker being electric, if your hot smoking (like you would with chicken), you just set you temp like you would with an oven.

3.jpg 2.jpg smoked chicken.jpg

I love canning my own beans. If you compare the price of store bought canned beans vs bulk dry, I think it is the single most cost saving thing I can. A wonderful quick meal around here is to make a pan of corn bread, and heat up a jar of pintos. Makes some nice south western comfort food and its fast as the beans only need heated, they are completely ready to eat after canning. They also make nice refried beans, just heat em, smash em, and mix in a little cheddar cheese, and they are ready in about 12 min.

The Ball Book of Canning is a great resource, but my favorite place to get canning information is the National Center for Food Preservation. Just be a cautious of making your own recipes and concoctions, as some things aren't safe to can.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/index.html

If in doubt look it up, as improperly canned foods can make people very sick, or worse. But I'm not trying to scare any one. All you have to do is bring your food to the proper pressure, and cook it for the proper amount of time. It's not hard or complicated
  • Heirloom Spores and wharfrat like this

#36 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,391 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:18 PM

So today I'm boiling down my stripped turkey carcass with some onion, mushrooms, cleric root, garlic, and carrots. I will let this boil for about 3 1/2 hours or so. Let it cool, then drain through a strainer into a clean bowl and discard the solids.

You then let it sit and cool overnight in the fridge, allowing the fat to separate out.

The following morning you skim the fat that has collected on top and discard it. Bring your broth back to a boil on the stove, and then hot pack it either pint or quart jars. For pints you PC it for 20 min @10 PSI. For quarts its 25 min @ 10PSI. I should also say that if this is done at elevation's over 1000 ft, you need to bring your temp/pressure up to 15 PSI and run for the listed amount of time.

Just like that, I've got some delish home made turkey/vegetable broth for when I need it.

A pint jar of chicken breast, a quart of broth, a 1/3 cup of dry rice, and a handful of whatever veggies you like, and you can have killer, hearty, home made chicken and rice soup in a little less then an hour.
  • Heirloom Spores and wharfrat like this

#37 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,391 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:52 PM

Update: So I got 5 quarts and 1 pint of turkey/veggie broth off of my turkey carcass, and they all sealed, WOO HOO!

I think that is good, as it was only a 13lb bird. I did leave all the skin (I don't eat it, but I save it with the carcass for making the broth), and wasn't all OCD about cleaning the meat off of it. That, and all the veggies that got boiled down with it made quite a strong rich broth. :wub:

I look forward to making turkey and rice soup with this latter on.

Turkey Broth.jpg

• Il19z8rn4li1, Heirloom Spores and wharfrat like this

#38 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,314 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:24 PM

Thanks for the info and recipe, I believe its time to start canning for the future.

I am already thinking about my garden this coming spring. beans, carrots, potato, and some grains.
I already have been trying grains, got a little hard red winter wheat, rye, planted in the fall . In the spring I plant sorghum . oats , corn

I think if I can 4 qts a week I can  fell more secure in this uncertain world.
make hay while the sun shines

Juthro I bet you can make a great meal with that broth.

• Juthro likes this

#39 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:28 PM

Juthro... man.. cootos to you brother :) 

that chicken looks amazing and so does your broth.

Im going to use the Xmas duck carcasses to make a duck/veggie broth with and see how it turns out.

Should have some decent flavor and its easy to separate the fat/grease with a fat separater. 

• Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#40 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 4,853 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:28 PM

Don't worry Juthro....................

I believe numeric means "cudo's", as in a complimentary pat on the back. I know he was not wishing anything like cooties to you.

:tongue:

Nice tips and info in this thread. I should have made stock myself, but the entire turkey carcass became a delicious turkey noodle soup this year.

• Il19z8rn4li1 and Juthro like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!