#41 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,751 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:46 PM

Sounds like you did make stock, Skye, but just bypassed the canning part and went straight to using part.

Duck/veggie broth sounds like it would killer, Alfa. Make sure you let us know how it turns out, please.

And while I would never suspect Alpha to wish any cooties upon me, I do thank you for the translational help, Skye  :)

The kudos is appreciated BTW, thank you.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#42 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:04 PM

Lots of one liners and little phrases such as that I always f-up lol

Diddo is one I frequently misspell lol :) Instead of ditto... lol  :P

Edited by Il19z8rn4li1, 15 December 2015 - 02:04 PM.

• Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#43 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,751 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:14 PM

It's all good, numbers. We like ya just the way you are brother. :)
  • Skywatcher likes this

#44 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,751 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:06 PM

Been putting the canner to work the last couple of days. Canned up the rest of our potato crop from this year (another 25 pints) before they went bad (I need a root cellar), and today I am restocking our canned pinto beans (14 pints).

I am going to have to empty some jars, or buy new ones, if I want to can much else. I have damn near every jar I own loaded with something ATM.

It's a lot of work, but it feels good to have it done, and even better to have my pantry full.
  • Heirloom likes this

#45 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,751 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:45 PM

So I got me a box of reusable canning lids, they are called Tattlers. I was curious if anyone else has any experience with these kind of lids?
tattler.jpg

I'll report back with my findings after I use them on something.

#46 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,993 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:32 PM

I very well could be wrong but I believe the bands are reusable but the lids ?

You are talking reusable lids? I have heard of them but don't know much.

A web search might be of some use.

#47 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,751 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:47 PM

Yea, they are 'sposta be reusable, unlike the old style metal lid. These lids are made out of food grade plastic, and have a replaceable rubber gasket under them.

You still need the band to screw them down with.

tattler2.jpg

#48 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,751 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:50 PM

OK, wish me luck :)

I'm trying something new, (at least for me). I'm brining about 5lbs of boneless, skinless, chicken breasts right now. Salt, white sugar, brown sugar, and #1 curing salt. An overnight soak in fridge should be plenty.

Now I plan to take half of the chicken and PC it in half pint jars. The other half I want to smoke, and then PC it in half pint jars as well. I'll actually smoke the half batch, and then PC it all in one run.

This is my first time canning brined chicken. I love flavor and moisture retention that brining gives, but I just don't know what to expect when combining it with PCing.

Anyway, I'll report back.

#49 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,751 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2016 - 05:03 PM

I love home canned chicken, its so versatile, but you have to learn to cook with it. Right out of the jar, its fairly bland and neutral. You just have to adjust your cooking style, and put a little more work into adding spices and flavor.

So my goal with this experiment is to put a little more flavor into the canned yard bird, via smoke, and a salt/sugar brine.

I brined the bird overnight, and smoked half of it for about 90min, @100F. I then packed it into half pint jars, and processed @10psi, for 75min. I also canned the other half of the package that had been brined but not smoked, and a package that had no brine, and no smoke so that I could fill the canner.

I had a good run, 27 half pints sealed out of 27. Cant ask for better then that.

I'm thinking about trying some for dinner, we'll have to see how I feel after I get done planting potatoes.
  • Heirloom likes this

#50 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,993 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:37 PM

Home canned chicken, eggs and a picture of my sisters cock - farm pheasant.

got to butcher 50 chickens in a few days , a day of canning with 2 canner going .

Pheasant later, and wish I took pics of the eggs of pheasant and an old pic of quail eggs.

My sister raised hundreds. She raises free range they got several acres to run free on and every night back into the henhouse - bigger than average houses.

Attached Thumbnails

• chicken1 001.JPG
  • chicken1 002.JPG
  • eggs1 001.JPG
  • pheasant male kim.jpg

• Juthro and GLP like this

#51 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,751 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:40 PM

Looks good HS :) That's a lot of chickens to process brother, my hat is off to you.

As for my experiments, I forgot to post the results :) So better late then never.....

I loved the results of brining my chicken before canning, it was delish right out of the jar. I think the chicken seemed to hold it's form better after brining as well (though it still shredded easily). I should mention that my brine is actually a sweet pickling brine, and has nitrites in it. So it is technically cured meat when I'm done with it, like bacon or ham.

And the smoke flavor seems to intensify during the canning process. A little goes a long ways, and I might cut back from the 90 min I gave this batch. But I liked the results, I just think it I would like the smoke flavor a little lighter.

So to summarize, I will defiantly add both of these variations to my menu. Though I still plan on doing some plain, with no salt added. Its nice to have the non salted for things like casseroles, and soups that are already salty enough.

Edited by Juthro, 12 August 2016 - 06:01 PM.

• Heirloom likes this

#52 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,993 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:26 PM

Might take more than a day but we got my wife a nephew and my sister.
My sister has a rule at her house if you live there you have to work 
in the winter it if you want to be warm you cut firewood. I have a few sisters but she is my favorite.

I'll show more pics soon. I have talked to my sister about spices and vegtables in with the chicken.
I like spices and they not only add flavor they are good for the health. I really like smoked meat.

I should talk to my sister about a step by step picture series of cleaning and cannin your own birds.
She has butchered her own pigs and cattle.

I am a city kid but my parents did some of there own chickens and my I watched my dad deliver a breach birth calf
when I was a kid , we did live on ranches  and in the country at different times as a kid.

My sister is an animal lover but she like to eat them to. That's why she moved out of the city.

I want her to get some chickens that lay double yolk eggs , we use to get them when I was a kid in Arizona.

She has had sheep and llamas , I wish  I could learn to weave a blanket in my lifetime. I want to learn and experience what our families did
hundreds of years ago.
There is a lot of knowledge oldtimers have that we need to preserve for the future.

• Juthro likes this

#53 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,993 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:50 PM

a few jars , nothing much to look at.

Attached Thumbnails

• box 001.JPG

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 18 August 2016 - 01:51 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#54 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,751 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:30 PM

I harvested most of my Anaheim peppers today.  I like to pick them green, and make canned green chili's with them.

First I core, and deseed them, cutting them either in half or quarters (lengthwise), depending on size.  Then I lay them in a cast iron skillet, skin side up, and hit them with a propane torch until the skins are completely black or blistered.  They are then placed into a paper bag for about 15min to sweat.  This makes the waxy skins much easier to remove.

After removing the skins, they are placed into half pint jars in portions that I would use for a meal, topped with boiling water to a headspace of 1inch, and PC'd @10psi for 35 min (for altitudes under 1000')

My favorite use for them is to use a jar in some of my smoked chicken/sour cream enchiladas, but they make a nice addition to many meals.

I got 5 half pints worth of peppers out of my greenhouse.

#55 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,751 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:21 PM

So I boiled down a chicken carcass (for about 4hrs)with a bunch of onion, celery, mushroom, parsley, and carrots last night. After it was cool, I put it in the fridge overnight.

This morning I skimmed off the fat, and strained the remaining veggie chunks and bones out, and then pressure canned it up (20min @10psi). It yielded 6 pint jars of veggie/chicken broth.

Then I cubed up a bunch of bottom round steak(raw) into pint jars and PC'd them as well (75min @10psi). It yielded 10 pint jars. This will turn even the cheapest, toughest steak into meat that you can shred with a fork. Makes killer shredded beef enchiladas :)

Now got just under 5lbs of chicken breasts soaking in a brine, waiting to get canned next. I'll cold smoke half of them for a hour, then chunk them all up and pack them into half pint jars. Followed with 75min @10psi in the PC. I guess that there will be roughly around a case(12) worth.

A productive day so far :)

I've got a bunch of potatoes that we just harvested that need to be processed as well. But I think they are going to have to wait until tomorrow.
  • Heirloom likes this

#56 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,993 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for the post , nice recipe. I intend to follow and pass on to others.
Your veggie/chicken broth is not only a good stock for food but a medicine.
One of my sister's DR. recommended this for her as a food/medicine. She is still alive.

I harvested my potatoes and they were great, nothing like fresh home grown food.

I want to pass on the joys of canning to the next generation.

Mycotopia has  done wonders for the sales of pressure canners and jars.

I am cutting and pasting your post to keep and pass on.

Thanks again to everyone

• Juthro likes this

#57 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,751 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:36 PM

You are more than welcome Heirloom, I'm always happy to share any knowledge I can remember :) The broth is one of my favorite things that I can. I like that due to its low salt content, I can add it to just about any dish for flavor, without making the meal too salty for my diet.

Sometimes I'll also put kale, or lettuce in to boil with the rest of the broth. Puts lots of good vitamins and minerals in your broth, but too much of the greens can give it a bitterness. So add conservative amount until you find the flavor profile you like, cuz its hard to make the bitterness go away once its there.
  • Heirloom likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!