#61 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,226 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:53 PM

So I finally got off my arse and canned up last falls pumpkins.   They sure did store well in our version of a root cellar, they were in very good condition before we cut'em and cooked'em.   Not bad considering we harvested them late last October.

We ended up with a case of pints out of three volleyball sized pumpkins.   I see all kinds of pumpkin treats in my future.  Pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, pumpkin roll, pumpkin muffins.....  You get the picture :)

.1.jpg

post-136504-0-57906200-1610927585.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 17 January 2021 - 06:54 PM.

• Sidestreet, Myc, Baphom3t and 4 others like this

#62 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,226 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2021 - 03:50 PM

What a wonderful time of year to pressure can food.   It adds heat and humidity to the house, and also refills the pantry shelves.

I found a little under 2 cups of dried pink beans in the bottom of a cedar chest we use to store dry goods.   It is the last of a bag that I'm pretty sure is over 5 years old, as it's been about that long since I've been able to find pink beans around here.  Anyway, after soaking them overnight, and boiling them for 30min I got 5 pint jars of beans.   They are in the canner now for their 75min cycle. 

I love having canned beans in the pantry.  They make good refried beans, or chili, or filling for burritos....  and they do it fast.  Just open the jar, and heat them back up.  Good healthy fiber, and protein without the salt, and preservatives of store bought canned beans, and they are considerably cheaper as well.   It also reduces the waste of the non recyclable epoxy lined cans the stores sell them in.   To my eye it's a winner all the way around.

• FLASHINGROOSTER and YoshiTrainer like this

#63 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,226 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2022 - 02:08 PM

6lb's of onions ran through the mandolin (makes for very consistent sized pieces), put in the crock pot with a full stick of butter on top, plus 1 TBL of minced garlic, then set to low and leave them for 8hrs (we let'em cook overnight).   In the morning,  we jar 'em  up in 1/2 pint wide mouth jars, then 70min @10psi in the canner (6lbs of onions gave us  14 half pint jars).   Now our onions are shelf stable for years, and ready to eat right out of the jar if you wanted, or had to ( they are better warmed up IMO).

These caramelized onions are the bomb!   They are great on top of burgers, brats, steaks, or tossed in with a roast while cooking, the list is almost endless.   It is a great way to put up a big harvest of onions before they go bad.

I like our garden, but it takes a lot of time and work, and frankly it hurts my feelings if what we grow goes bad before it can be used.   Canning has been a great way to make a bountiful seasonal harvest last through the long winter up here.   The pressure canner is your friend folks :)

• Skywatcher and YoshiTrainer like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!