#1 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

Summery of Casing for Canopy.

I learn a long time ago that growing is all about controls. Controlling how the grow would turn out was key. I learned that I can make the myc do things like knotting. For awhile I used wax paper and got pretty decent results and then I moved on to learning about scraping. Then casing. Mainly using seed starter potting soil for casing. I learned all about micro environments and to think like the mushroom in wild. Moisture which is dew or light rain in the wild triggers fruiting under the right temps. All about the micro environment. Nutes + right temp+ fae+ RH = fruiting. All these we can control when growing inside. In closed controllable environment. Hope this makes sense.

We have all seen spotty grows
pic 5.jpg
^^^Something Wrong Here Not right^^^

But how about this one?
This is my Casing for Canopy
0430121033.jpg
This is PESH and it grew pretty even
except they fought for space and light. Lotz of shrooms here some hidden

Now how do you achieve this on inside grow using multi-spore solution was my question. I have always been a "poor-mans grower" and kind of sentimental about the pf tek. But how could I achieve good results. Without cloning or agar or sub-strain isolation. How!!! I do know that there is certain tricks that I can use to improve my results. Knowing that first flush is often your only chance for canopy you got to make the most out of it. Right!!!.

So lets try this and I will be here for all you who wish to try it. And answer questions.

Now I haven't grown any mushrooms in 5 mos... But since I got the Internet and bunch of pics. I should be able to do this post grow.

1. Picking a good fast domesticated strain of cube is key. I think this makes a big difference. Strains that have worked for me. Pesh, BPK, Thai Lipa, B+, might a couple others but what hasnt worked was Pink buffalo, Golden teacher, F+ maybe a couple others. But PB was very hard. Strains that are slow. They mature slowly and unevenly IME. Shooting for even growth.

2. Mixing your bulk well is key as well. I used ziplock bags to mix in. 0908120042.jpg as you can see about 50/50 Wbs/poo spawn to poo mix. Having your nutes spread evenly is ideal if you expect an even grow. Sub should be 3 to 5 inches thick. Wbs and horse poo mix well. What you dont want is hunk of poo with out col grain or big hunks of col grain. Think two different nutritional valuse here. You want even canopy. You want nutes spread evenly. Shooting for even bulk mix.

3. Using a good tub 0908120046.jpg black side tub helps control the grow. Stops light getting to sides on your first flush. Note here:::: Also you want to incubate about 81 degrees this in total darkness with a tin foil top with fae holes in it. YOU DONT WANT TO TRIGGER FRUITING. You are the one who is going trigger fruiting on your terms.

4. When it looks like this 1005121359.jpg your ready for the casing. Continue to keep in total darkness.

5. Be sure to use "Seed starter potting soil" for your casing has the perfect PH balance for mushrooms Mah taught me thisNew project 1.jpg IGNORE THE BAG OF VERMICULTIE old picture.

6. Take your seed starter, bring to fill capicty with a few drops coming out, I used roast pans. I put into the oven for 30 mins at 300 degrees. Let cool. If you go 45 minutes that is fine. Let cool. Let cool.

7. Take your col sub from step 4 1005121402.jpg till totally covered. Mist it lightly with water. Place tin foil lid back on and wait 24 hrs.

NOW WE ARE MOVING TO DIFFERENT SUB AND SET OF PICTURES. DONT GET CONFUSSED. WORKING WITH OLD PICS.

8. Your sub has been in the incubator and has partically colinized your casing layer. Time for fruting chamber. Your sub should look like this out of the incubator::::0426121308.jpg mist this H20. You might have little pile of fluffy potting soil. Remove the pile.

NOTE YOU MIGHT HAVE TO REPEAT THE ABOVE PROCESS. WE ARE LOOKING FOR EVEN COLINZATION OF CASING LAYER AND KNOTTING. LET ABOVE SIT 2 TO 3 DAYS THEN CHECK.

9. Your looking for knotting 0426121310.jpg this is little past knotting. Once your here by using the controls. Your got a canopy coming.

Summmery
If you pick the right strain. Know how to use wbs and hpoo plus mix it well into a bulk. Control light and the temp during incubating. Make up seed starter casing for a thin thin casing layer cause it is all about micro envoirment and controlling that envoirement.
Control Control Control and Evenly Evenly Evenly.
You can scrape and mist your way into a canopy.
Maybe. Hopefully.
Unc can ever time and if unc can you can.

0922121047.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 1005121401.jpg
  • 0426121307(1).jpg
  • 0426121309.jpg
  • 0430121034.jpg
  • 0424121154.jpg
  • 0424121155(1).jpg
  • 0922121046.jpg
  • 0623121846.jpg
  • 0623121845.jpg
  • 0623121847.jpg
  • 0623121839.jpg
  • 0924121432.jpg
  • 0924121411.jpg
  • 0924121401.jpg
  • 0924121400.jpg
  • 0922121041.jpg

Edited by uncleG, 28 March 2013 - 05:44 PM.

• ethnobotanist420, MungoFungo, Cue and 11 others like this

#2 1nt0x1cat3d

1nt0x1cat3d

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

Good post
  • PsyBearknot likes this

#3 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

This makes me want to do a bulk grow :bow:

#4 getnasty

getnasty

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 318 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

Nice write up bud. Thanks!

#5 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,298 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

Seed starter for casing..hmm, defenetly sounds like a plan for my next bulk. Thanks for sharing...Your tubs look fabulous btw...

#6 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

Any questions ask might help someone by asking.

#7 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

Great write up man!
I think its about time to make some jars :teeth:

#8 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

You dont want it to spider web across the casing layer a lot. You want to brake it up and even it out. You might have to fight with it and scrape then mist but should only mist it right after you have scrape it. Myc will recover pretty fast and most of the time it will either knot all over or might spider web up. But if you look at the second pic in this youll see the knotts. Before you scrape again make sure its not knotting cause they can be as small as needle tips.

rhizomorphic

0426121307(1).jpg

more of mix of Cottony and Rhizomorphic
0426121309.jpg
a day or so later
0426121310.jpg

#9 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

Straw and wbs layered. The shrooms was smaller but it still worked.

0623121839.jpg As you can see across the middle the nutrients was off might of been the water or not layered evenly.

Now that I think about it. The fan blew in across the middle there so some drying might of happened.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0623121845.jpg
  • 0623121846.jpg

• hyphaenation likes this

#10 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

This is thin casing tek. We are casing to create an environment conducive
to knotting and knots become shrooms.
Here is oldie but a goodie on why to case:
http://mycotopia.net...html?1004939950

I first started out using wax paper not for overlay but to produce micro environment that encourages knotting.

Some archived posts on wax paper use.
http://mycotopia.net...html?1090561374

http://mycotopia.net...html?1081943704

You get the most pins on a cake where? On the bottom of the cake. Why cause that is the best fruiting environment around that cake. Cause it is sitting on something or vermiculite is helping balance the moisture there. moisture is higher and better in those spots.

Also I kept my lights on like six plus hrs a day. If you don't your shrooms wont grow straight up.

Edited by uncleG, 29 March 2013 - 12:55 AM.

#11 Sickmanlives

Sickmanlives

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 794 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

There's no holes in the mono correct? Are we doing like a SGFC with the cover or less holes then the SGFC?
thanks...

#12 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:26 AM

There's no holes in the mono correct? Are we doing like a SGFC with the cover or less holes then the SGFC?
thanks...

I dont know the shot gun. I used a fc with 1 inch fae holes on 3 side. And0611121631(1).jpg

But to be honest I had subs coming out my ears. I had them in bags and small fc's. With and without fans. It is really about the first week in the fc and knots. Once you got the knots its golden.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1004120025.jpg

#13 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,298 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:44 AM

Any questions ask might help someone by asking.

What color temp lighting do you like to use and for how long?

#14 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:59 AM

mushrooms are photosensitive lighting isnt that important. Ime but it does really matter except it makes them grow straight. I used all kinds just to make them straight.

#15 psycheholic

psycheholic

S-W-I-M Team

• OG VIP
  • 2,726 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

Awesome tek G!! :bow::bow:Thank you for sharing your techniques, you know I have been dying for you to write this up. I am going to have to build my FC just like yours eventually. I like the idea of hepa filter and just putting a fan right in front of it, very simple and effective. I will give this tek a try on my next grow and post everything here. My subs have been in the FC for 5 days now, or else I would have gave it a go with my current grow.
  • Hash_Man likes this

#16 Nickypno

Nickypno

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

Hey Unc, I'm glad you made this thread.

I adopted your casing technique a while ago, and man. I'll let the pictures tell you.

I haven't tried it with poo or anything, only straight straw spawned with rye or wbs. Works like a charm every time it seems.
  • wildedibles and Uncle G like this

#17 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Hey Unc, I'm glad you made this thread.

I adopted your casing technique a while ago, and man. I'll let the pictures tell you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]303034[/ATTACH]
I haven't tried it with poo or anything, only straight straw spawned with rye or wbs. Works like a charm every time it seems.

This is what was needed. Others trying it and posting their results. That is awesome grow. I went into emergency shut down once and threw a sub in to the dump. I had already scrape it and misted before i did. It canopy. All about triggering the knotting and knots become shrooms

#18 Nickypno

Nickypno

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

Im glad to be a help.

I will also add that I tried it using cactus mix instead of the seed starter soil just because it was all I had on hand. One tub gave me a perfect full canopy, and the other two ended up with serious overlay on about half the trays. The parts that weren't overlain fruited great, but I wouldn't risk it again I dont think.

#19 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

Experimentation is good on this. I just know what has worked for me. I full confidence that I can order spores and have canopy a month or so later. Thanks everyone for the interest!!! Means a lot. I got a lot of pm's about the tek over last year or so. Hope it helps peeps aspire to do more!!!

#20 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,291 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

I always liked the casing idea to keep contaminants out I need all the help I can get and seeing the difference it makes I will defiantly be using this idea when I get growing :) thanks :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!