• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#41 sporelord

sporelord

Mycoseeker

• Expired Member
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

8. Your sub has been in the incubator and has partically colinized your casing layer. Time for fruting chamber. Your sub should look like this out of the incubator::::...

Unc, question:
So all scraping is done after incubation, inside the fruiting chamber?

Thanks

#42 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• Validating
  • 3,686 posts

Donator

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

impressive but I must ask, how much of this comes down to genetics? Have you done side by comparisons with clones - sort of A/B testing with 2 casings and a unique clone? Not to poo poo your work the canopies are amazing.

I stopped doing clones once I got this down pat a few times. I was getting the results I wanted.

Unc, question:
So all scraping is done after incubation, inside the fruiting chamber?

Thanks

Yes and youll want to mist it a little afterwards. Also it will fluff up and you might have little pile to remove depending on how thin you got it. thinner is best. When you scrape youll feel the top of the sub. This is good. Just scrape the whole surface evenly then mist litely. In day or two it shoulld be like above in the pics.

id argue, that if you spored out your CLONE... and used those spores to make a syringe
then noc'ed up some grains jars to make spawn jars that would then be of Multi-spore origin from a "CLONED"
specimen.

Its a common "grey area" that some of us have regarding how to achieve HIGH YIELDS without losing Potency.

Some argue best results are from CLONED colonies... meaning youd never let them Spore out and youd want to keep
going back to a select colony of mycelium that one would have on STORAGE in a fridge most likely.

Where as some argue that you can achieve EQUALLY as great of results by simply knowing
HOW to control variables and know HOW mushrooms grow and how there different processes work.

I myself am on the side of, "its the grower that makes the results, not the strain or isolated colony"

This the good dope here. My only observation on strains and genes. Is if the strain is a slow colonizer then you got parts of the cake, sub, or whatever that is older than other parts. Why should the grow be even. Now the one foot long shroom in this picpic 5.jpg maybe I should of clone it. But anyway.

I personally got about 1/3 or maybe 1/2 of the yield from the same substrain (which I isolated on agar) when not using Unc's casing as opposed to when using it. And the comparative grows I speak of were done in the same automated environment using the same spawn material, spawn rate, and substrate (wheat straw).

The mushrooms from the uncased tub were much larger, but not nearly plentiful enough to make up for the weight of the yield received when cased and scratched. I prefer hundreds of little shrooms as opposed to a handful of humungoid shrooms anyhow :)

Thats whats second flush are for. When your sub shrinks to 3/4 of its original size on then stop worrying about the boomers the first time around.

Here in this pictures first flush these are big mushrooms 0421121852.jpg 101, 105, and 115.8 grams.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0430121033.jpg
  • 0421121850.jpg
  • 0421121847.jpg

Edited by uncleG, 04 April 2013 - 10:27 PM.

• wildedibles likes this

#43 psycheholic

psycheholic

S-W-I-M Team

• OG VIP
  • 2,726 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

Those are some big boys for sure. This thread keeps getting better and better.

#44 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• Validating
  • 3,686 posts

Donator

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

Thx Psy

#45 Fulano

Fulano

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for sharing this tek with us unc!! I cant wait to try for a canopy. I winder if this would work with edibles suck as nameko and beech. Also have you done this with pans also?

#46 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,386 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

My question is one of clarification about Mixing your bulk . Do you grow on WBS and then mix with poo or do you combine WBS and Poo (what kind?) and grow in jars or bags and inoculate after sterilization? Poo prep?. How long to sterilize. As a newbie I want to get the details down. Thanks, Seeker

#47 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

My question is one of clarification about Mixing your bulk . Do you grow on WBS and then mix with poo or do you combine WBS and Poo (what kind?) and grow in jars or bags and inoculate after sterilization? Poo prep?. How long to sterilize. As a newbie I want to get the details down. Thanks, Seeker

lol UncleG has another thread JUST about his growing style... this is his SPECIFIC TEK regarding how he CASES and SCRAPS his bulks.

you can click his name then click PROFILE. On the left side under his name in the profile youll see
something saying like "View past created threads", click that and look through the list.
Its recent so it wont be far down the list, most likely within the first few threads.

Hope this helps a bit :)

• wildedibles likes this

#48 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• Validating
  • 3,686 posts

Donator

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

Thanks for sharing this tek with us unc!! I cant wait to try for a canopy. I winder if this would work with edibles suck as nameko and beech. Also have you done this with pans also?

I dont think you would want to be as rough with pan myc as you are with this. My Pans grew waves and were delicate.

lol UncleG has another thread JUST about his growing style... this is his SPECIFIC TEK regarding how he CASES and SCRAPS his bulks.

you can click his name then click PROFILE. On the left side under his name in the profile youll see
something saying like "View past created threads", click that and look through the list.
Its recent so it wont be far down the list, most likely within the first few threads.

Hope this helps a bit :)

Or you could just click on the bottom of every post I make "Curious ways of Uncle G". I think any tek depends on some general knowledge. Also if click on any picture they blow up. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I used an FC on first flushes. Then a lot of times threw the sub in a bag from there on out. Just depended on what was going. You can get a lot from a bag. 1001121946.jpg

#49 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,386 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

Thank you so much for the response. Seeker

#50 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• Validating
  • 3,686 posts

Donator

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

Thank you so much for the response. Seeker

Seeker you or anyone is welcome to pm or go vip and us chat it up anytime. I do the best I can to help.

#51 Fulano

Fulano

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

That's true. Unc is always helpful to everyone. Always giving us all lots of insight and sharing his extense knowledge with the rest of topia. Once again thanks man!

#52 Sickmanlives

Sickmanlives

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 794 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

I think UncleG has got a few of us excited, including me. Curiosity is killing the cat.
Thanks G-

#53 Fulano

Fulano

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

I meant extensive. Sry. English isnt my first language

#54 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• Validating
  • 3,686 posts

Donator

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

Thanks for reading everyone. I am glad I was able to put it together for you.

#55 captaincactuscakes

captaincactuscakes

biophile

• Expired Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:22 AM

A couple questions, thank you for your help thus far via pm but I wonder if anyone else may have had the same thoughts as myself...

Do you use any additives in your bulk sub? I've seen threads/logs/teks that advocate a cornucopia of various nutritious adds that increase yield/potency but I've always wondered if an ideal primordia method would bypass the need for that?

What do you do to combat contams? Salt tek? Bleach? Or just grow it out until it needs to be dumped?

If you have a grow that has had several good flushes and shows no signs of contam but is slowing down, do you re-hydrate? If so, do you re-apply your casing layer again?

Thank you for putting this together; it's amazing!
  • wildedibles likes this

#56 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• Validating
  • 3,686 posts

Donator

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:40 AM

A couple questions, thank you for your help thus far via pm but I wonder if anyone else may have had the same thoughts as myself...

Do you use any additives in your bulk sub? I've seen threads/logs/teks that advocate a cornucopia of various nutritious adds that increase yield/potency but I've always wondered if an ideal primordia method would bypass the need for that?

What do you do to combat contams? Salt tek? Bleach? Or just grow it out until it needs to be dumped?

If you have a grow that has had several good flushes and shows no signs of contam but is slowing down, do you re-hydrate? If so, do you re-apply your casing layer again?

Thank you for putting this together; it's amazing!

First question: No additives
Second: Contams I fight with knowledge, meditation, and confidence.
Third: when you get a canopy off a sub then the sub is diminished a lot by this. I normally just dunk the sub and grab a 2 gallon ziploc and throw that sub in there.1001121948.jpg

I have tried recasing it and re incubating the sub. I have cut an inch off. and dozen other things to try to get another canopy on second flush to no avail. I have other threads discussing a lot of my methods and silly shit I do or done

Attached Thumbnails

• 1001121946.jpg

• wildedibles likes this

#57 captaincactuscakes

captaincactuscakes

biophile

• Expired Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:12 AM

Thank you for the prompt reply! This whole thread is filled with information that will be beneficial for so many people down the road!

In regard to the second question, on contamination, would you mind elaborating what your method is for contam control? What would you recommend for the beginning grower to do if they notice a small isolated patch of trichoderma? What is the best way to save the substrate and not damage the casing or pinset?
  • Purple Mushroom Tip likes this

#58 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:48 AM

I not uncle but I wanna add something he be back in a little bit ;)

I probably would cut it out and if it is a tiny spot u could probably use peroxide or Iodine might work without damaging fungi tissue Iodine is soposed to be easier on mycillium I have used Iodine for cloning and it doesnt hurt tissue

I would also cover that spot up with casing after doing work on it .... cooler temperatures is good for stalling contams sometimes tooo....

but I am not an expert these are things I have read on here how to save projects ....

#59 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• Validating
  • 3,686 posts

Donator

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

Thank you for the prompt reply! This whole thread is filled with information that will be beneficial for so many people down the road!

In regard to the second question, on contamination, would you mind elaborating what your method is for contam control? What would you recommend for the beginning grower to do if they notice a small isolated patch of trichoderma? What is the best way to save the substrate and not damage the casing or pinset?

Meditation is key. When I have a contam I sit and clear my mind then recap on what I did and how it got there. I love this word "Axenic" a medium devoid of all living organisms except those of a single species. I carry this beautiful thought through out a project hopefully.

I work steady. It isnt anyone thing I do. Your trying to relate contam issue to a casing tek. I dont know if you can get a canopy from a contaminated sub.

#60 Blueringer

Blueringer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

@ Captaincactuscakes
Just curious what makes you think its trichoderma? Do you see green atm? If you do then there is a lot more contamed substrate than you are visually seeing. When you see the "green" those are spores, which means the mold's myc has already developed and matured to an extent within the substrate. With trich you have to think of it like an ice berg there is probably twice as much under the surface than you see on top of it.;)

Personaly I don't like trying to save contamed subs anymore, it ends up overtaking your grow more often than not, and becomes frustrating to say the least. Cut your losses and start over, IMO.:thumbup:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!