• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

Some of you may know that I have had physical problems lately. Fortunately, I'm not sick, but I have some body parts wearing out more quickly than I'd like.

Recently, I was told by my doc that I can't lift any more than 25 lb. I'm single, so no sig other to do the lifting.

After a several-day-long internet search, I was shocked to discover there is no such thing as a Personal Crane for lifting things like boat batteries, propane tanks, beer cases, etc.

So, I have two sticks; call them quarterstaffs, alpenstocks, hiking staffs, whatever.

I got 2 U-bolts and a small steel ring at the hardware store. I already had some rope with a hook.

I had thought of patenting this doo-dad, but I don't think you can patent 2 sticks and $5 worth of hardware.

It lifts my battery easily and I can position it precisely on my adapted suitcase cart, in my boat or in my Blazer.

Here, for anybody restricted in lifting capacity for any reason, is my "invention".

personal crane2.jpg

Edited by SilvrHairDevil, 20 April 2013 - 06:25 PM.
clarification

#2 Jimothy

Jimothy

Narc'd with Narcosis

• Expired Member
  • 397 posts

Donator

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

Nicely done, I'm a fan of home brewed creations such as these.

Closest thing I can think of to a personal crane would be a Spitzlift. They make portable cranes which connect to receiver hitches, truck beds, etc.

#3 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

Nice work!

#4 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,704 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

I had thought of patenting this doo-dad, but I don't think you can patent 2 sticks and $5 worth of hardware.

Nice design, IMO the simplicity is one of its most attractive features but to sell it commercially you'd want it UL-Listed and they'd probably not list it until you added a ton of safety features that would be exponentially more complex than the original crane design!

Otherwise someone would buy one and drop a battery on their foot or swing the crane around too fast and kill their dog or something and then they'd sue you. You'd also need to spec a very sturdy hardwood for it that had to be shaped properly so as to not split under load which would add considerable expense to manufacturing costs. Probably better to sell a PDF of instructions and some diagrams for a DIY build so all the liability is the end-user's problem. Or just post it freely for everyone to copy (like you just did!).

#5 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

Nicely done, I'm a fan of home brewed creations such as these.

Closest thing I can think of to a personal crane would be a Spitzlift. They make portable cranes which connect to receiver hitches, truck beds, etc.

That's a pretty good little crane. Here's another:

www.yankodesign.com/2009/04/13/bee-buzzes-but-doesn’t-sting/

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!