50 replies to this topic

#41 MeriwetherLewis

MeriwetherLewis

Explorer & Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:09 AM

Really awesome thread!

Silene.... Silene... Silene Capensis - a twig which causes lucid dreaming... I wonder if they're related.

#42 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

http://en.wikipedia....Silene_undulata
this is what wikipedia has it listed in

Silene is the family name so it would should be related as long as the name isnt changed into a diff family ....

https://www.dmt-nexu...x?g=posts&t=995
there is info on the name you said there ;) there is mention in there on them being related to a few different ones Silene :) ya I think it is defiantly a current name for that plant

The foam / soap that forms on top is drank there may or not be other things not edible in the leaf so it is not recomended to eat just to drink the foam there is mention about heart issues too with the Nexus link be careful consuming Saponins in plants have more info I will be putting together ;)

Edited by wildedibles, 11 July 2013 - 08:35 AM.

#43 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

This one is Bouncing bet from my garden Saponaria officinalis
I have a hunch that they will make more foam than the next herbal but I can collect Silene vulgaris in larger quantities as it grows like a weed ;)
http://en.wikipedia....Common_Soapwort
IMG_0960.JPG

These next pictures are bladder campion (Silene vulgaris)

IMG_0994.JPG
The seed pod forming
IMG_1003.JPG

Reading lots on Saponins confusing myself even more ;)

anyway I am going to do a little experiment on the soap that can be used from Silene vulgaris.

I have some dried and some fresh :)

I want to test to see which works to make the most foam :)

see if we can dry it for later use and still have the same or? soap / foam

1 clean 2 drink bottles same size

2 add same amount of water for each dry and fresh herb bottle

3 add herb counting leaves added so they are the same instead of weighing which wouldnt be fair ;)

.... now this is not a very great test cause some were collected different times different places etc not completely fair but it will give me an idea if I can dry it for later use or if the foaming abilities are lost with drying

I dried them in a grass basket in normal room temperature they are completely dry its been about a week :)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0961.JPG
  • IMG_0995.JPG
  • IMG_0996.JPG

#44 opiwave668

opiwave668

HDL 51 mg/dl

• Expired Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

so are they good or bad every other thing i read says something different it seems maybe they dont all act alike i read about a plant gynostemma has more saponins then anything else ive read about 80-100 and people think its great but then i read that they like fiber lower cholesterol (not a goal of mine) and cause leaky gut and destroy red blood cells and other people say it lowers blood pressure and heart disease but oh yea can cause severe nausea and diarrhea some say medicinal plant others say cytotoxin some antioxidant others antinutrient

can bind to bile:eusa_shif:eusa_snoook thats the final straw need all the bile i can make(its personal diet thing)
  • wildedibles likes this

#45 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

I think you have summed up nicely the things I have been reading :)

and yes depending on different plant and different saponin within :)

Moderation is the key and medicinal the reason behind eating a higher amount or not removing it in the 1st place

your diet has not been high in vegetable matter ... making the point every body is different

what if that ice cream u just ate had the same stuff in it but in a more man made way? ;) anything that has an emulsifier like peanut butter any thing creamy chocolate ..... anything that needs to keep a good froth hold the fat in a suspension in a cup so it don't separate ;) .... just a hunch ;)

#46 opiwave668

opiwave668

HDL 51 mg/dl

• Expired Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

i did read they use it to help retain foam in some drinks but i think when they need emulsifiers they usually use lecithin (from eggs)
i do however eat entirely to much peanuts/butter and almonds/sunflower seeds and read they also contain them

i read about a plant that you dont have to shake and stuff i read so many things i never remember them all anyways you dry it out then grind it into chips and just use as you would soap

#47 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,385 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:45 AM

Pickled Purslane: Adapted from Euell Gibbon's Stalking the Good life: Brine : one measure of salt to 1/2 measure of apple vinegar and ten measures of water, 2 tbs of dill weed and 4 cloves of crushed garlic per quart jar. Add all to jar packed with rinsed purslane and make sure purslane is submerged. Let sit a room temp for 5 days shaking occasionally then refrigerate or just refrigerate and it will be ready in a week. If too salty for you pour off a little brine and add water and retest in 3 days . It keeps for a more than ayear in the frige.
  • wildedibles likes this

#48 BKeith

BKeith

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

Purslane is also good in a mix of tomatoes and cucumbers with a bit of garlic or onion, or both, in a lower sugar Italian dressing. Walden Farms makes a no-sugar dressing, but it's far too sweet with Splenda for me. The nice thicker leaves are good raw, IMHO. I have also kept the juice from the chilled Claussen (sp?) pickles and used it for other vegetables. Works pretty good. I would also remind anyone using wild garlic, which I have tons of, to use HALF of it if you're used to using a store bought clove. This is some powerful stuff!

Edited by BKeith, 14 July 2013 - 10:05 AM.
add

• wildedibles likes this

#49 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for adding the recipes :)

:) and the extras I really like the taste of Purslane

Opiwave668 I have been reading so much on it lately it just got me all confused remembering only half of it but ya they are in all sorts of food eating it in moderation is the key ;)

Me and my youngest boy did the experiment with dried and fresh leaves to make soap the dried leaves work just as well

so we can dry a bunch to use later as soap it works great for that :)

#50 opiwave668

opiwave668

HDL 51 mg/dl

• Expired Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

:lol:foraging for edibles and walden farms in the same thread:lol:

#51 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:15 AM

;) ah I bet they have some weeds too :)

My original intent in this thread was to explain the weeds that grow in peoples yards and to see if they would be good medicinal food or ? with the soap lol

but anyway one of my guy friends has an outstanding amount of Mother wort in his yard this was blowing my idea out of order how can mother wort be useful for my guy friend till I looked closer :)
Mother wort is great Liver helper and he could use all the help with his liver that he can get

This guy doesnt like anything good for him he tells me ... so I thought making a mother wort syrup for him might work well at least it wouldnt taste good for him ;) I will be back with some pictures of the mother wort I will be gathering soon

This link explains all the things I read in the herbal books I have around here best explanation of its uses I found so far ;)
http://www.anniesrem...il104.php<br />
IMG_0857.JPG

This is a garden plant that escapes gardens as you can see if the conditions are right this plant can get out of control
It likes some sun shade mix sandy well draining soils and no need to feed it ;)
IMG_0865.JPG

close up on the flowers they are pokey
IMG_0861.JPG

Here is the red square stems
IMG_0868.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0966.JPG
  • IMG_0858.JPG

Edited by wildedibles, 15 July 2013 - 04:22 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!