9 replies to this topic

#1 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,949 posts

Donator

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:28 AM

Last August I made a magnum / cascade IPA that turned out just aweful. No balance at all, way too bitter. :drk:

I kegged it and set it off to the side with plans of either dumping it or distilling it (which has become my new thing).

For almost 10 months this keg sat in my closet and I completely forgot about it.

Well last night I was going through a bunch of my brewing stuff and happened upon said keg. For shit and grins I hooked up a tap to it and poured a glass.

DELICIOUS!!! I guess the hops just needed time to mellow and blend. I am so happy I didn't dispose of this lovely brew!!

Never dump a batch!! Time heals all beer!!

#2 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

Awesome, I have been meaning to get into brewing. My buddy and I did it once and it was shit (of course), I hear most peoples first time is a wash.

Where would you point a newb who loves Guinness? What is a proper starting point for success?

#3 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,949 posts

Donator

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

My first few brews tasted like old socks and bananas. Once I learned to control fermentation temps my beers became drinkable and eventually even good!!

homebrewtalk.com is a great place to start. Kind of like 'Topia for beer. Also read How To Brew by John Palmer. Taught me everything!! There is a free online book.

Check out some of the online brew shops and try a few extract brews. So long as you have a 3 gallon pot and a fermentation vessel of some sort you'll be good to go. Don'y buy any equipment kits. They are always a ripoff.

Try a few of those and if you like it, go partial mash (extract using specialty grains). There are some awesome stout recipe kits from a few of the vendors.

Have fun and RDWHAHB (relax, don't worry, have a home brew!!)

#4 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to firerat again.

Thanks for the info, I think this will be my summer hobby now that I have a basement.

#5 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,949 posts

Donator

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

Careful, it's addicting!!

#6 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

Right on firerat!

Unfortunately, stuff never sticks around long enough for it to have to age. Even the questionable stuff (imo) gets slammed down by friends with a smile.

@mate0 - I'll second homebrewtalk and the Jim Palmer book. Google: (Insert beer name here) Clone. You can also specify extract or all grain, and you should end up with a few recipes to help you recreate your favorite commercially available brew. Given your abilities, you'll be bottling or kegging quality home brew in no time.

#7 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

Man I am just glad you shared! Maybe we can get this forum jumping again! Got a thread in the making for this forum soon. Very Kewl Thread

#8 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,356 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

[quote name='MrGumball']Unfortunately, stuff never sticks around long enough for it to have to age. Even the questionable stuff (imo) gets slammed down by friends with a smile.

Your obviously not making enough............

#9 Mrinny

Mrinny

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:59 AM

I always found brewing to be similar to making LC. Both of them sit in the same space.. sealed of course.

#10 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,949 posts

Donator

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

I always found brewing to be similar to making LC. Both of them sit in the same space.. sealed of course.

My yeast starters and LC's are both made with the same equipment.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!