Fisana

- - - - -

no pinning yet, should one be worried?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_icebergmcnasty_*

Guest_icebergmcnasty_*

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:12 PM

I birthed my first cake 2 weeks ago today. It was a 1/2 pint brf b+ cake. I took about 16 days to colonize completly, then I let it sit for 3 more days, then I dunked for 24 hours in a 1:50 water/bleach solution, double end cased and birthed it.

My terrarium is a simple rubbermaid bin with 3 inches or so of damp perlite for humidity, and a 6 watt fluro mounted inside the bin. Temps range from 72-78 degrees depending if the light is on or not. I give it roughly twelve hours of light a day, and fan it out good once a day. I rarely mist. Humidity is high 90%+

The cake itself looks good after a few days in the terrarium it exploded with white fuzzy growth that seemed to thicken up a bit. For the past week or so though it doesnt look like its changed. What gives?

Whats the max time I should wait before tossing it?

Something that has been confusing me is air exchange. I've heard many times CO2 buildup is good because it promotes pinning, but I've also heard and read that CO2 needs to be below a certain level for pinning to occur. Whats the real deal with this??????

Has anyone else had cakes that just took a long time to fruit?

#2 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:22 PM

Something that has been confusing me is air exchange. I've heard many times CO2 buildup is good because it promotes pinning, but I've also heard and read that CO2 needs to be below a certain level for pinning to occur. Whats the real deal with this??????

Has anyone else had cakes that just took a long time to fruit?

Do you cakes smell shroomy?
If so everything looks ok, IMO. Just be patient.

-1:50 water/bleach solution dunk for 24 hours? Thats way too much bleach and too long of a bleach dunk(use 200:1 water/bleach for dunking,you can do a bleach dunk for 15-30 min before or after a 24 hour straight water dunk.

Ya I have the same prob sometimes for my cakes to take a bit to pin....Personally I think its normal though. I've had cakes take 3 weeks to pin.Thats just my experience.

#3 Guest_icebergmcnasty_*

Guest_icebergmcnasty_*

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:25 PM

I decided to go a stronger on the bleach since my methods are less than perfect and the dunk was done sitting on a shelf rather than in the fridge. It recovered just fine though.

I can live with 3 weeks, I'm just worried it will never pin.
How ofter with multi-spore do you get cakes that wont pin?

#4 Guest_icebergmcnasty_*

Guest_icebergmcnasty_*

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:26 PM

yes they smell very shroomy

#5 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:27 PM

I can live with 3 weeks, I'm just worried it will never pin.
How ofter with multi-spore do you get cakes that wont pin?

Im really not sure,But I do alotta multi spore innocs and Ive always got pins.

#6 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 21 February 2005 - 01:20 AM

i would increase your fanning and see if that doesnt do it for you....once a day isnt enough sometimes.

#7 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 21 February 2005 - 01:27 AM

pinning is triggered when the high levels of CO2 are exchanged for high levels of O2.. to naturally occuring myc this means it has reached the out side of the substrait and should reproduce... i beleave that's how it goes anyways... try to increase fanning to 4 or 5 times a day and that should help out bit
good luck
lost :)

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:11 AM

this cake is only 30 days old
far too early to start panicking
wait at least another 2 weeks
and do not increase fanning,
that only delays pinning for cakes.
fan just once a day until pins begin forming,
thrn increase to 2-3 times a day.

#9 kingstrrophariad

kingstrrophariad

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:10 AM

i need help geting my trays of rye grain cased w/ verm to pin! theve been in the fruiting chamber for 10 days and nothing, the casing layer is total colinized and sponge to the touch, the chamber has alot of condesation on the sides and lid so humidity shouldnt be the issue. my lighting system just got perfected, previously they werent gettin much light, but thats fine now i think, im just using a lamp with a regular 40w bulb, is this okay?

my temps flucuate however, i did a cold shock for 2 days at 66-68, then using a fishtank heater system i brought it back up to 74-82, im trying to adjust it better so it more constant, so hopefully that should be okay soon to.
i try to fan as much as possible but work 7-10 hours a day, when im here i fan it though.

what am i doing wrong? and how long does it take to pin? from jars to trays the the culture is only 21 days old, do i need to practice more pactience and just wait for them to do there thing?

thanks for any help you can give, im starting to get worried, everything seemed so good until it came time to fruit.

#10 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:31 AM

stabilizing the temps should help

I wouldnt say youve gotten to the point to worry yet, waiting is the hard part
mushies dont have a time table, they do their own thing

#11 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:48 AM

Make sure there is no standing water in your casing trays...soggy casings don't like to pin and standing water is a vector for contams. You say it is totally colinized on the casing layer? That usually is called overlay, and can be a problem. Other than that, do what fanning you can and be patient.

Got a camera? show us some pix?

By the way, cold shocking has been proven to be a myth for cubbies.

#12 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:48 AM

10 days is no reason to worry yet,But as anticheffy said "Steady temps would help" I agree with him on that...Dont forget casings like 80-90 RH.Good luck.

#13 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:03 PM

Get the fish tank heater out of your fruiting chamber. If it's the dead of winter and cold in your house a fish tank heater might help during the colonization of your jars, but room temperature is what you want for fruiting. The condensation is because it's hotter in the terrarium than it is outside the terrarium, and is only indirectly related to the rh. Any cold shock you did will set pinning backthe length of the cold shock. A two day cold shock will delay pinning by two days. I've proved that timetable in my own experiments. Cold shocking is for 'some' cold weather edibles, not warm weather tropical species. Don't worry about overlay. It will pin just fine from an overlayed casing.
RR

#14 kingstrrophariad

kingstrrophariad

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:33 PM

its about 68 degrees if the heater comes out is that still okay?
ive just been trying to keep it real low but it doesnt stay stable, ill take it out right now though, and the casing may be overlayed but is still soft, thats okay too right?
and as for the soggy casing, i did put holes in the bottom of the tray for drainage is this okay?

thanks for the help and sorry for all the questions, its my third attempt and still nothing, i got babies from the bottom of a jar once but thats it.

#15 doodaa man

doodaa man

getting to know thyself

• Expired Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:40 PM

I'm a nubie but when my jars are fully colinized i take them out putem in the fridge for a day and then leave them at room temp getting light and they start to pin in the jar then i birth and have boomers in 5 days. try to pin in the jar before birth. Sometimes the alreald start befor i take them out of incubator

#16 InfectedMushroom420

InfectedMushroom420

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:00 PM

Hey Hippie,

So ther air exchange should not occure more then once a day prior to pinning?

#17 InfectedMushroom420

InfectedMushroom420

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:13 PM

Hi All,

Hey hippie! you mentioned the person shouldn't increase his fanning during pinning past his current once a day. This is the first I've read of this as everything I've read was 4+ times a day so far. Based on those reads I've set my air exchange up via aqarium pump to cycle every 4 hrs for 20 minutes. Is this going t oslow my pinning down? I just started this 2 days ago and would love to know if Im making a mistake here.

Thanks for helping me understand :)

Cheers!

#18 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:17 PM

You want higher CO2 levels when trying to initiate pinning, thus less fanning. Once your pins have formed you can increase your fanning

#19 InfectedMushroom420

InfectedMushroom420

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:39 PM

It just came to mind, even if I turn off my aquarium pump and only run or fan once a day during pinning, I have a ultra sonic humdifier that kicks on and humidifies the chamber every 2 hrs. Doesn't this also add fresh air ? If so, will my pinning just slow or will it stop.

Thanks!

#20 smacked12

smacked12

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 07:54 PM

this is off topic Infected but i just saw your sig.

do you jump?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!