Fisana

- - - - -

Chronic Tek & Variations - [merged]

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mycopelandia_*

Guest_mycopelandia_*

Posted 12 February 2005 - 02:53 PM

What size jar do you use to create the colonized cake, and what size jars do you put the colonized cakes into? A half-pint and a quart?}

#2 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 12 February 2005 - 02:59 PM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

A half-pint and a quart?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
that is the most common
but hey, if it fits
it works.

#3 Guest_magic_*

Guest_magic_*

Posted 12 February 2005 - 07:15 PM

Just wondering if dunking is really needed for the Chronic Jar Tek to work.

Pop_bottlePosted Image

#4 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 07:41 PM

Yes. I wait for an invitro flush, then birth & harvest, then dunk. After that you can go Chronic. After the second and latter flushes, do a bleach dip right before your dunk for longer life. Dunking is very important for the cake to be able to put out additional flushes. 90% of mush is water remember.

#5 drgonzo1969

drgonzo1969

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:23 PM

a friend of mine has 36 jars colonizing and is thinking about doing the chronic tek in combination with an inner reservoir tek. After searching the archives for a few hours he came up with an idea to adapt the chronic tek and inner reservoir. the idea is that you take the quart jars and drill (you need a glass drilling bit for this) an 1/8th inch diameter hole on the bottom of the jar (top of the terrarium) in order to inject water into the cakes and then cover the hole with electrical tape to avoid drop in humidity and temp. The cakes will use 3 drilled holes to serve as reservoirs. my first question is would it be better to leave the 3 holes empty or put verm in them? Should he water the cakes as much water as they will take before they start fruiting? is once every 3 days enough watering once fruiting begins? Would mixing worm castings or possibly bee pollen in with the water be beneficial to the cakes? what are the signs of overwatering? does anyone see and potential other problems with this idea that i may have missed?

#6 711

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:32 PM

Not sure I can picture what you mean with the quart jars and drilling into them,but as far as adding nutrients after the cake is birthed, this is believed by many to invite contams. I would stick with sterilized distilled water to add to the cakes. The added water should be more than enough to get a better flush and I wouldn't see any point in jeapordizing that by messing with other additives.Someone else will probably come along and give you more advice.

#7 drgonzo1969

drgonzo1969

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:46 PM

It would be a pain in the ass to have to take the cakes out of the quarts jars everytime they needed watering (especially with 24 cakes) so instead a hole is drilled in jar so that water can be given to the cakes via syringe and then the hole can be sealed up again with electrical tape. That way the would still remain fairly isolated from contams.

#8 drgonzo1969

drgonzo1969

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:47 PM

I think you are right on with the distilled water. thanks for the advice!

#9 711

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:57 PM

What are u doing, quart cakes or just using quart jars as friuting chambers for smaller cakes?

#10 711

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:03 PM

Use quarts for spawn. I wouldn't want to ruin all my quart sized jars so easily. Maybe try Hippies Invitro and inject cake through one of your innoculation holes. That would allow you to stick to your basic style of growing without ruining quart jars or having to drill through glass. Other than that I would have to say just get yourself a terranium/humidifier or perlite setup. That way you would only have to lift the lid for many cakes instead of opening individual jars for one cake.

#11 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:46 PM

well man...it would prolly be easier
to do the inner resivour tek(when you make the 1/2 pints..
stick you finger in the middle of the cake and fill it in
with feild capacity verm) and just go along with
teh chronic tek....
inner res...
http://archives.myco...html?1001872254
http://archives.myco...html?1010226884
chronic tek..
http://archives.myco...html?1012857760
http://archives.myco...ges/5/7818.html

use the k.i.s.s. method......start small then work from there..IME..
sounds like your on your way to doing a good job man...
hope to see some mushies soon..:)
:hippie:

#12 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:51 PM

i'd fill the holes you drill with verm,
else the tissue will cover over them quickly.
but don't over-do adding water,
that's number #1 newbie mistake.

#13 drgonzo1969

drgonzo1969

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:28 PM

how will i know when a cake needs or doesnt need anymore water? are there any physical signs to look for?

#14 711

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:40 AM

a really dry cake will shrink and often bruise. If you use the reg. formula for h2o then you shouldn't really see signs of dryness untill post flush unless you have humidity probs. Like Hippie said just don't overdo it. You would be suprised how thin the fine line is between helping and hurting.

Found this in Mycotopia's Archives---Gives a rough idea

Fanaticus (Fanaticus)
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 01:17 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just got some fresh info about the inner reservoir tek. The guy that sent it to me says that when he births the cake, he injects 10cc of sterile water into the reservoir. That is a whole syringe full.

It is so easy to set up. All you do is use one of those SHARPIE pens. MAke the hole all the way through.

So then, when you inject water, if it is to much, the excess just runs out the bottom into the bottom verm layer.

I think this tek can replace casing. Because the idea is sort of like an internal casing.

PF

#15 OZ

OZ

Mycotopiate

• Validating
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:27 AM

i think you'd have better luck doing the sodastraw tek, with the inner resevoir tek, with the chronic tek all in one, so u just fill up a really fat straw with water, and just leave it there, in the quart terrarium

#16 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:53 AM

IMHO, if you are going to try drilling through jars, I would wear goggles, heavy gloves and a leather apron.

Canning jars are tempered (hardened) to survive multiple uses without scratching/weakening. I could be wrong, but I think you'll shatter a lot of them, even with a high speed diamond/carbide bit.

The only safe way I know to make holes in tempered glass is with a sandblaster. Sandblasters, by the way, are expensive, noisy and a pain in the buttocks to work with.

Just my .02...

#17 drgonzo1969

drgonzo1969

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 01:18 PM

hmm i didnt think of that. That could throw a massive kink in my entire plan. thanks for the help. Those jars do seem extremely hardy. Maybe if i use the straw idea i wont have to drill holes in the jars at all. about how often do you have to refill the straws (assuming i use a very fat one)?

#18 711

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 01:55 PM

whenever they empty

#19 spyker

spyker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 10:58 PM

Why go to all the fuss???

U have 36 jars, that amounts to a huge flush even with the plain ol' birth em and fruit em' scenario. U R just creating big efforts, big hassels and big missions for no gain.. If U want yeilds, case those cakes. If you want it simple, just fruit the cakes. In any case this is U'r learning curve, so fruit em and understand...nothing that is not neccesary, otherwise you lessen you're chances of success at all!

Drilling holes in jars??? WHY WHY WHY??? Sounds like a nightmare to me, for what? If U fruited and then dunked your cakes after each flush, I think U'd see the same flushes as internal reservoirs anyway... If you want more yield, grow more cakes. If you want more yield out of your current cakes, grow some more ! haha U just inviting complete failure if you venture from a tried and trusted TEK. Let someone else do the figuring out and once he has it working follow his example.

Make a fruiting chamber, it will cost U fuck all! Fruit your cakes traditionally, and above all else learn.. 36 reasonably fruiting cakes is better than 0 excellently fruiting cakes. Cakes are the simplest method, so keep em simple ! If you want to get complicated, then get complicated properly( casings, dung, straw, lime, automation etc....)
Once U have a few cakes fruiting and a casing or 2 pinning, U'll wonder "what the fuck was I thinking!"

#20 spyker

spyker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 11:02 PM

My 2 cents, And good luck.... Keep the odds stacked in Ur favour, otherwise why R U bothering at all. K.I.S.S !!!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!