- - - - -

Does anyone here culture there own yeast?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Enoch

• Expired Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

I am a home brewer and I have been considering growing and preserving my favorite yeast strains. I am curious if anyone here does that. If so how do you preserve the yeast? agar slants? petris dishes? When working with agar is it possible to tell if your samage is contaminated with wild yeast?

#2 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

I am interested in answer myself. It will take a while in this forum. Things move slowly here.

#3 roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,831 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

I too have been looking into this as I would like to start fermenting various grains and tubers into traditional beers. Such as brown rice, cassava, millet, sorghum, and wheat. Any how I found this write up while searching the web. Seems like a good place to start. /><br /><br />

In general, yeasts are grown in the laboratory on solid growth media or in liquid broths. Common media used for the cultivation of yeasts include potato dextrose agar (PDA) or potato dextrose broth, Wallerstein Laboratories nutrient (WLN) agar, yeast peptone dextrose agar (YPD), and yeast mould agar or broth (YM). Home brewers who cultivate yeast frequently use dried malt extract (DME) and agar as a solid growth medium. The antibiotic cycloheximide is sometimes added to yeast growth media to inhibit the growth of Saccharomyces yeasts and select for wild/indigenous yeast species. This will change the yeast process.

Edited by cyclenaut, 27 May 2013 - 10:25 PM.
to add more sources

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!