15 replies to this topic

#1 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,915 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:50 PM

My yard has become a safe haven for many annual hummingbirds, and i have at least four that never leave anymore. The Rufous Hummers have never stayed more than 3 weeks at a time in spring, and again in the fall. This year they decided to stick around and raise a brood here. (along with the other 3 pairs of Rubythroats, and Lucifers.
These little guys have been able to fly for a week now, and even try to get the feeder before i get it hung up again. It cracks me up that they still want to sleep in their nest at night, even though they don't fit in it anymore......
Here they are tonight.

hummer 1.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• hummers 1 and 2.jpg

• Dr.Hallucination and gremlinchode like this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,915 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:12 PM

Wheeeeeeee.......

2Wheeeeee..jpg
  • Erkee likes this

#3 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:02 AM

oh that is too cute :)

I plant my fav flowers (morning glory's) for them every year when they come back to us ...having them stay all year is cute I bet you have lots of fun watching them ;)

every year my mom made up feeders for them and watching them all summer was cool ...had one fly in the house one day mom got it out and let it off by the feeder they like her very much and trusted her with her oven mits on ;)

I plant lots of flowers for them I have flowers right from early spring when the snow melts and the geese come back to when the geese leave again

Now I have always heard that these tiny birds fly south with the Canada geese ....I have heard when they get tired or even the whole time resting in the down of the geese this has been hard for me to believe but they r tiny enough and when the geese leave I never see the humming birds till the geese come back ;)

Edited by wildedibles, 15 February 2014 - 05:03 AM.

#4 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,915 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

The picture came into my head of a hummingbird in a lounge chair strapped to a goose, holding a mimosa and saying,

"Canadian Goose Airlines, the only way to fly". 

Hummingbirds usually do migrate annually, and the arrival at the same time as the geese makes sense as the food sources become available. I can pretty much assure you they do not hitch rides on the backs however amusing this idea. I live under a major migratory flight path, where there is a low natural pass through the mountain ranges. Because of this, I see (and hear) the geese every year on their way or returning, and also see many bird raritys that just stop in to rest and fuel up before continuing.

My winters are mild, so as long as I have food available for the hummers, they can (and do) winter here. It is a commitment however to continue maintaining them, or you should take all the feeders down in the fall. I keep the feeders clean and filled all year. By the way it is only February, and the geese are already moving north again. The hummers are building nests. I believe that was all the winter we are going to get this year, and we did not get any.

• wildedibles likes this

#5 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

curious,

is there ought besides sugarwater to feed the hummers?

• wildedibles likes this

#6 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,915 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

They will eat small bugs like gnats and such when they are feeding a brood, but sugar water with no food coloring is the best. I use

4 heaping tsp per cup of clean, non clorinated water. The stuff they sell has red coloring which is not good for them. Honey is very bad for hummers. The ones around me will forage in the flowers and plants, snatch a few bugs, and drain the feeders weekly. I clean the feeders every week with a brush and mild soapy water to keep them clean.

They also enjoy a bath in splashing water sometimes. I see them bathing where the water splashes as the pond falls hit the rocks, and in the bubbler fountain. Come nest building time, they appreciate spider web, dog fur, lint, any any other fine soft materials.

• Erkee and wildedibles like this

#7 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,402 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

That is truly awesome. I'm happy for you Skywatcher.

Good things happen to good people.

• wildedibles likes this

#8 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,915 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:57 PM

This is the male Roufus that now has several girlfriends.

127230950.BFEU83BJ.RufousHummingbirdMale0025.jpg

• Dr.Hallucination , MrGumball and wildedibles like this

#9 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,402 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

you have hummingbirds and a high speed camera? Dude, you're killing me :)

• wildedibles likes this

#10 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,915 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:28 PM

The camera may soon join the telescope among other things, in the was sold for cash flow, but the birds are welcome here to stay.

• wildedibles likes this

#11 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:48 AM

Beautiful :)

In early spring here they get along with this other bird it drills small holes in the bark of trees to get the sap ;) and the humming birds are known to feed on this here in early spring just before the flowers come

best laugh of the day bud ;) but I heard they get in the down of the geese in their bellys not on the backs ;) lol that is a sweet picture just about now tho

i think it is soposed to be under the wings but maybe they just fly close to them using the geese air flow some how birds defiantly have different ways to fly ;)

winter is not completely gone here yet but the cold is beginning to break here get a day time high of -10 C

lots of snow some guys r in the bush cutting trees near banks in the deep bush and they say it can be 10feet deep in places he has to be careful

chest height snow normal in some places where it has blown up against a slope

Edited by wildedibles, 16 February 2014 - 06:51 AM.

#12 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:12 AM

http://www.allaboutb...ker/lifehistory

Ok I found the bird that is the humming birds friend :) I found it in a book at home on birds in Algonquin park but I found one with a link too :)

from above link

"On a walk through the forest you might spot rows of shallow holes in tree bark. In the East, this is the work of the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, an enterprising woodpecker that laps up the leaking sap and any trapped insects with its specialized, brush-tipped tongue. Attired sharply in barred black-and-white, with a red cap and (in males) throat, they sit still on tree trunks for long intervals while feeding. To find one, listen for their loud mewing calls or stuttered drumming.

• The Yellow-bellied Sapsucker makes two kinds of holes in trees to harvest sap. Round holes extend deep in the tree and are not enlarged. The sapsucker inserts its bill into the hole to probe for sap. Rectangular holes are shallower, and must be maintained continually for the sap to flow. The sapsucker licks the sap from these holes, and eats the cambium of the tree too. New holes usually are made in a line with old holes, or in a new line above the old.
  • The sapwells made by Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers attract hummingbirds, which also feed off the sap flowing from the tree. In some parts of Canada, Ruby-throated Hummingbirds rely so much on sapwells that they time their spring migration with the arrival of sapsuckers. Other birds as well as bats and porcupines also visit sapsucker sapwells.
  • Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers have been found drilling sapwells in more than 1,000 species of trees and woody plants, though they have a strong preference for birches and maples."

These r the trees that we can tap for sap as well :) sweet sugary sap I guess is their favorite but please don't feed them maple syrup most of which we call maple syrup is not anymore stuff that we do to it

and even if its real maple syrup it be too condensed with sugar for them

they collect it as it flows from the tree much different than what we have in the stores ;)

I don't know if it would rot in a feeder either ???

so just be careful to  thoes reading along  ;)

Edited by wildedibles, 17 February 2014 - 06:20 AM.

• Erkee, Skywatcher and Spooner like this

#13 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:59 AM

I think this is a tree that was used by these birds while it was young cause the holes r stretched out but they r in rows its the only example I found in the woods yesterday and wanted to share :)

IMG_0657.JPG IMG_0658.JPG IMG_0659.JPG IMG_0660.JPG

• Spooner likes this

#14 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,915 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

Well, as proof as to how trusting to my presence these little flying jewels have become, this little female has decided to build her nest in a jasmine vine that is 4' from the door where I go in and out to the yard with the 3 dogs all day long, and half the night as well. She is undisturbed by all this traffic passing her, and now has two eggs, but I have not looked for a few days so there could be 3 by now. Two is more the norm.

Picture quality is not as good as usual, because I did not want to startle her so this was taken through the glass door from in the house. She is guarding the feeder nearest her, not that I would let it go dry, but to keep the any others away. They have 4 other feeders to go to. You may need to look hard as she has camouflaged reasonably well........

hummer 4 closer.jpg     hummer 4.jpg

hummer 3.jpg

• Erkee and wildedibles like this

#15 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:15 AM

:) So cute

post-126525-0-65068600-1392931392.jpg

#16 1967FordTitus

1967FordTitus

Mycotopiate

• Banned Member
  • 2,099 posts

Donator

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:10 AM

That is so incredible, Sky, your place is beautiful.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!