• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 nugget

nugget

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

Going to put some photos up of my work here.
It might help someone... I tried starting seeds in dirt but mold took over , I always wash my seeds now in a 10 percent bleach to 90 water solution dump em on a napkin , transfer them to a sterile jar of sand thats been microwaved for a few minutes then left to cool and watered with regular bottled spring water and covered with plastic , after germination I pluck the seed casings out mostly with tweezers here are jars at one and 2 months , I keep the moisture just wet at the top of the sand and only fert once on the 2nd month with 1/8th strength 2-7-7 fert water .. just a few drops , a quarter of a capful or so.
By 90 days I plant them.lop 021.jpg
I should mention after I plant them I mist them almost daily with a spray bottle for an additional month or two but I do let them almost dry out in that period .. its a transitional time.

Attached Thumbnails

• lop 022.jpg

Edited by nugget, 06 June 2013 - 03:44 PM.

• TurkeyRanch, morfin-56 and Uncle G like this

#2 nugget

nugget

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

pic 2 -Here are some babies at one year and pere grafts around the same age , I didnt winter these little guys .. at night I left them on the hot water heater to dry out and kept watering them once a week.
the 1st picture is this years loph grafts , I do the super glue thing and have had horrible rates with the one to 3 month old seedlings , at one year that rate increases a great deal to take hold... since ive tried a few one year old seedlings its about 30 to 50 % as opposed to 5 or 8 % sucess for me.
the ones on the bottom are month old seedling grafts that im still working on , the 3 on the top and right is 2 in the middle were old seedlings and the one on the fare right top I believe was a month old seedling.

Attached Thumbnails

• lop 025.jpg
  • lop 026.jpg

• TurkeyRanch and MrGumball like this

#3 Batavion

Batavion

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

Looking good although your germination tek is insanely different than mine. :P

#4 nugget

nugget

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

lop 034.jpg

the one on the left is a caes and I am trying to cut the lower buttons off the aeriolas so it will not knock itself off in the future , the middle one I am not sure if it took yet as it is quite new and the one on the right took allready as well it was a pere graft so.. I scotch taped the buttons on and stuck a ziploc bag over them overnight leading to at tleast a 50% sucess rate and possibly 100 percent I will know in a few more weeks , these stumps arent rooted yet either.
I was in the process of rooting them when mold set in due to some unforeseen humidity so they were recut .. dried 2 and a half weeks and then superglued at the base as per peyotes recomendation then replanted.
they were 2 one foot long grafts that had taken but when I had to recut them I decided to halve the size to attempt 2 new ones.

I will keep this thread updated as it continues.

Attached Thumbnails

• lop 028.jpg
  • lop 031.jpg

Edited by nugget, 06 June 2013 - 03:49 PM.

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#5 nugget

nugget

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 408 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

laper.jpg
At around 75 days I had my first seedling rot , it was a little under the sand .. I took that as a sign it was time to move them to their new pots , I tried something different this year at first mixing a course sand mix and putting it in a yogurt container but for some reason the 75% course sand stayed wet too long and more began to rot after a few days , I had some luck with a little yogurt container set up with drainage and just plain cactus dirt so I figured I would give it a shot , anyway after that I replanted them like I did last year in a regular 4 inch terracotta pot and what I do with that is I will gently mist it so just to top gets wet once a day and it usually dries out by the next day , eventually I will withhold the spray as they grow a little bigger until its just a once a week watering.
these have been potted for a couple of days now and most should survive .. a few were starting to spot due to the wet sand touching them.
As for the graft buttons are growing back right where I cut them off of , I will probably try to recut them again unless I think of something else , they are real low to the base and I dont want them knocking the graft off.

Attached Thumbnails

• sierra.jpg

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#6 MeriwetherLewis

MeriwetherLewis

Explorer & Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

Lots Lophs Looking Luscious!

#7 nugget

nugget

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:40 AM

laperidad.jpg Heres an update , the seedlings are coming along as expected with no new issues , I spray them generously every night and they dry by the next day or I skip a day , yesterday I skipped a day even though they were dry I will stagger it like that for the foreseeable future but I think they are beginning to acclimate to dryer conditions.
I had planned to graft these to pereskiopses plants like in picture 2 but as you can see the grafts I had cut are getting new heads giving me more little buttons then I can really use .. it takes so long compared to a giant san pedro stump as seen in the third picture that I am starting to question the use. .. the stump is with the caespitosa graft that I tried to cut the buttons off .. they just regrew, that shit isnt even rooted , its been like 6 weeks just sitting in dirt .. I guess its so big it could take a few more months.
Ive been thinking I want to get a clear plastic container just the right size to plop my stumps in so I can see when the roots finally start and I might work on that tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails

• seedling.jpg
  • pere5.jpg

#8 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:09 AM

I like it. Looking real good there nugget

#9 nugget

nugget

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

few more pics, the caes graft is really taking off , I havent watered it in months ...turns out the fatter the pedro the longer it takes to root.
and the caes yO 002.jpg stock , and one of my bigger ones flowered.
I am dissapointed because of the learning curve .. I dont know if I mentioned it but there is several different LW subtypes depending on where they come from .. I thought the guy was just trying to sell the seeds and blowing smoke up my ass with the whole .. oh yeah these are el oso ... the bear .. the bigguns.
Anyway my first years batch is a mix of many different types even on the stumps theres 4 varieties that I dont know which is which ... I wish I would have figured that out sooner I would of stuck with one or 2 types for consistency.

Attached Thumbnails

• pflow 001.jpg
  • yO 001.jpg

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#10 shroomhunt

shroomhunt

The Snake Man

• Expired Member
  • 895 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

Looking good man! I gotta round me up a caes variation soon...love seeing all those buttons in a big pile. My single big loph is just chillin all by its lonesome. Good work on the grafts too I haven't grown the balls yet to try.

#11 MeriwetherLewis

MeriwetherLewis

Explorer & Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

They look so great! The flower is beautiful! What a gift!

#12 nugget

nugget

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 408 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:01 PM

CAM00117.jpg CAM00119.jpg

Things have been a little hectic for me I couldn't keep up on the rent and had to put these babies in a less suitable environment but they grew as expected , the biggest one ive chopped up and added to my dried material collection of 20 grams now , the rest are even bigger heres a few almost finished grafts ..it took 3 or four years and id say i have around 40 grams total shooting for at least 60 

If I had more space and funds I could have expanded on the operation as it is im just trying to get 2 doses I almost wonder of it was worth the effort but they are beautiful plants..

Ive been on an extended break trying to figure out what to do next  Ive decided to enter college for two years on a grant to improve my economic status.

#13 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:10 PM

I can't believe you would eat those plants, if those were mine could never bring myself to chop one! I would just eat the Pedro's. . .

Those are amazing grafts, so pretty. Thanks for updating, it's awesome to see long term progress. Your making me want to try my hand at grafting. Marking for Archive material!

#14 nugget

nugget

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 408 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:27 PM

The peyote is supposed to be another experience alltogether how could you not eat them?

That was my reason for grafting to cut down on decades of grow time which it has.

So in conclusion if I were to start all over I would take 200 seeds plant them on sand in intervals of 30 ..working them onto peres after 3-7 months from sand to dirt ..once a couple of peres got to say a cherry size id start putting them on fat arm sized 6 inch pedro stumps , ive had very little difficulty placing them on unrooted stumps and having them take with scotch tape and a plastic bag for a night.

Its much harder to graft a perioskiopses in my opinion ..almost all of the larger pedro grafts took ..still its a bit of a crap shoot but once you get one with many buttons you can try and try and try.

#15 nugget

nugget

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 408 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:21 PM

DSC00042.JPG pics

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00010.JPG
  • DSC00045.JPG

Edited by nugget, 27 March 2017 - 02:27 PM.

• cubesRAbore likes this

#16 nugget

nugget

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 408 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:42 AM

DSC00142.JPG

Edited by nugget, 23 March 2018 - 10:51 AM.

• CatsAndBats and cubesRAbore like this

#17 nugget

nugget

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 408 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:42 AM

DSC00141.JPG

above is the garden. I probably wont have the time or space to continue much longer.

Edited by nugget, 23 March 2018 - 10:49 AM.

• Skywatcher, CatsAndBats and cubesRAbore like this

#18 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,654 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:41 AM

nugget,

Your grafts are thriving! Looking really great. I am also happy to see you have a few growing on their own roots. That gives you such an excellent comparison of how much additional growth you are getting off the grafted specimens. 

I am impressed. Give yourself a pat on the back.

https://mycotopia.ne...t/#entry1360873

Edited by Skywatcher, 23 March 2018 - 11:55 AM.

#19 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:57 PM

I have room if you need a steward. :biggrin: Well done nugget, well done.

• Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!