• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 mycomattie

mycomattie

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

I figured I'd start a thread that tracked the progress of the grow - from PCing, inoculation, colonization and hopefully, sclerotia and fruiting. I enjoyed P. tampanensis (which I still have several quarts and a bulk finishing up), so I wanted to try P. galidoi.

I'm not so good at putting together a grow log, so bare with me.

I'm using rye grass seed - though I'm going to inoculate rye berries too; I just don't have any at the moment.

I poured 1600ml of rye grass seed and a couple TBS of gypsum into a large tupperware bowl, poured 4 quarts of boiling water and 2 cups of diluted coffee (spent K-cup); covered and soaked and occasionally stirred for 8 hours.

Loaded into 4 quart jars (and 2 pint jars which I used for something else) and pressure cooked at 15psi for 90 minutes - cooled overnight.

pic1.jpg

Inoculated via MS syringe - 1 cc per 1 quart, on 5/10/13. Jars are being stored at a fairly constant 76 degrees F

pic2.jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5/15/13

First signs of mycelium growth in all four jars. I just inoc'd 4 jars of rye berries yesterday, to see the difference (if any); I also inoculated 4 small round PP5 plastic containers containing RGS.

So a few different types of jars and substrates - though they weren't all inoculated on the same day.

pic2.jpg

Not the best pics, and the mycelium is still light and wispy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 5/20/13

Coming along just as fast as you'd usually hope with MS. I received 1lbs of agar and 100 petri dishes in the mail today, so I'm pretty excited; opens up alot more doors in future endeavors...

pic3.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5/27/13

Well, several of the jars are 100% colonized; with a couple ~70 - 80%

pic2.jpg

On a side note, I've been having SLOW colonization speed with MS PE....

pic3.jpg
Inoculated on 5/10 with multi spore on RGS, the sclerotia production is excellent for < a month! I'm going to spawn some to fruit tomorrow.

pic3.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6/14/13

In the fruiting chamber. Spawned to H poo/straw (50/50) 50%, coir/verm/gypsum 50%.

IMG_2477.JPG

I'll keep the thread updated with (hopefully) fruits!

Attached Thumbnails

• pic1.jpg
  • pic1.jpg
  • pic2.jpg
  • pic1.jpg
  • pic.jpg
  • pic2.jpg
  • IMG_2476.JPG

#2 mycomattie

mycomattie

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

Also, rye berries are better than RGS for sclerotia production. RGS gives the illusion of large sclerotia due to the fact that as the sub colonizes and consolidates, it shrinks; creating a gap between the glass of the jar and the colonized substrate, which is where the sclerotia form, due to the sub being too dense with mycelium when fully colonized for any substaintial sclerotia growth.

But when you look at the jar, you think - "Wow huge stones!"

IMG_2478.JPG

Rye berries create more gaps and pockets in the sub, creating larger and more (quantity) sclerotia production.

#3 Nickypno

Nickypno

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

Lookin good so far. Hope you end up with this
  • Hash_Man likes this

#4 mycomattie

mycomattie

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

Lookin good so far. Hope you end up with this [ATTACH=CONFIG]310529[/ATTACH]

Whoa - those are insane! Thanks!

#5 Nickypno

Nickypno

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

youre welcome :)

That's a good sub you're using. I'm sure you'll get fat stones. I just spawned my first tub of galindoi 2 days ago to almost the exact same sub (minus the added straw, plus a little supplemental earthworm castings) and the myc is already tearing through it super fast. They definitely like the poop. That picture of those ridiculous stones were grown on horse poo mix :). I think he used millet as spawn though.

Also if you're interested in faster colonization, you can add some verm to the grain spawn and load it into a bag instead of jars. That way you can innoculate with shit tons of LC, and be able to knead the LC around perfectly, and also be able to distribute the myc better when it comes time to shake (If you even have to. I didn't have to). I used 60 CC's of LC on my 5 quart bag of wbs/verm, and the galindoi myc tore through it to 100% colonization in 7 days.

Edited by Nickypno, 14 June 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#6 mycomattie

mycomattie

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

youre welcome :)

That's a good sub you're using. I'm sure you'll get fat stones. I just spawned my first tub of galindoi 2 days ago to almost the exact same sub (minus the added straw, plus a little supplemental earthworm castings) and the myc is already tearing through it super fast. They definitely like the poop. That picture of those ridiculous stones were grown on horse poo mix :). I think he used millet as spawn though.

Also if you're interested in faster colonization, you can add some verm to the grain spawn and load it into a bag instead of jars. That way you can innoculate with shit tons of LC, and be able to knead the LC around perfectly, and also be able to distribute the myc better when it comes time to shake (If you even have to. I didn't have to). I used 60 CC's of LC on my 5 quart bag of wbs/verm, and the galindoi myc tore through it to 100% colonization in 7 days.

Thanks - I'll definitely try that!

#7 mycomattie

mycomattie

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

Primordia is starting to form - keeping my finger crossed!

pic.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• pic3.jpg
  • pic4.jpg
  • pic5.jpg

#8 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

I just a got an atl7 print that I plan to drop on agar this week, so I'll be watching.

#9 mycomattie

mycomattie

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

Pins and canopy are coming along fine.IMG_2492.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2490.JPG
  • IMG_2491.JPG

• Samwise, MrGumball and Cue like this

#10 mestophilies

mestophilies

Suit Up!

• Expired Member
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

Looks great mattie! Very impressed over here!

#11 Nickypno

Nickypno

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

looks sexy as hell! You're getting me all wet

#12 mycomattie

mycomattie

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

Hahaha Thanks guys - I'm making prints as we speak if anyone would like one. Don't even need to trade, I like spreading prints around the community.
  • Samwise likes this

#13 Roasty McToasty

Roasty McToasty

Third eye squeegeed

• Expired Member
  • 573 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

Hell ya Mattie,

Your the real shit!!!:bow:

Roast:rasta:

#14 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

Looks great!!! Man you grew those fast as well. Most cant get cube grow that fast. Amazing.

#15 MungoFungo

MungoFungo

THE Un-Governable FORCE

• OG VIP
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

I LIKE THOSE!!!!

:bow:

#16 mycomattie

mycomattie

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

You guys should definitely try tampanensis or galindoi - just as easy or easier than cubes! Thanks again!

#17 heavyd420

heavyd420

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

always wanted to try growing some stones. Deff gonna PM ya on that. way to go bro!:rasta:

#18 mycomattie

mycomattie

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

always wanted to try growing some stones. Deff gonna PM ya on that. way to go bro!:rasta:

Yeah, definitely try it. I'll send you a print -- hit me up.

#19 mycomattie

mycomattie

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

A few more pics from tonight....IMG_2495.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2493.JPG
  • IMG_2494.JPG

#20 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,357 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

I was wondering : I had many problems with the rye grass seed and contams until I let set in water for 16 hours then boiled to address the endospores then sterilized in pressure cooker . Are you worried about that? If you succeed without contams proof is in the pudding I guess.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!