Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:51 AM

Archive material > edibles/gourmets

#22 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:45 PM

I was curious as to how your culture was working out Workman. It's good to see people on this one.

My first attempt with this same project failed because I think there was too much magnesium in the casing. The fruiting growth was really weird looking! So it was re-cased with standard material and is looking pretty good at the moment.

#23 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:40 AM

Well, it's fruiting funny again. I don't know. :thumbdown:

Back to square one again.

#24 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:53 AM

i found them in an enviroment like for chantrelle, mulch and leaves mostly there was no sign of poo..that i don't think.

siam

#25 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:34 PM

I don't know what's going on with mine. I may not even have a culture of this species, as I had to use the entire print and was doing other culturing as well at the same time. My plate has super fluffy mycelium with no signs of hyphal knotting. I'm going to yank the plate out of the fridge so I can see if it will knot up in higher temps and good lighting.

#26 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:56 AM

I'm about 99% sure my culture is Trametes. :lol: Joy.

Got anymore prints Jim? lol.

I had this stupid tree stump outside of my old house that was loaded with small turkey tails. I guess they contaminated my plate. :sad:

#27 panic

panic

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:32 PM

theres one ya cant find in the local grocery store! lol
very cool looking shrooms! are they actually cultivated normally, or did you find some and work on them yourself?

#28 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:37 AM

I'm thrilled you guys are working on this! Don't see much of these. Always wanted more info or to try them after seeing pics in Mycelium Running.

GL!!!

#29 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 01:53 PM

My project is s.o.l. I definitely have some sort of Trametes it appears. The odd thing is; this was the culture that came off of the stock I got for the Rhino Foot. I was down to a slim remainder of the print, so I simply applied the whole thing to MEA. This is what I got. Great work huh? :rolleyes:

Yet another prime example of why to be more cautious with cross contamination. Who knows, maybe the mushroom cap from the Rhino Foot was contaminated with these spores. Bummer either way.

Whoever archives this thread can remove my muck prior to doing it. :)

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1177702436

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3190.jpg
  • IMG_3189.jpg
  • IMG_3187.jpg
  • IMG_3188.jpg

#30 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:43 PM

you can remove your own muck you know...
;)

#31 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:26 AM

nope laz those aren't the Rhino Foot:p i got to wait a few more months before i can get another prints ...that if they come back in the same spot.

siam

#32 thallus

thallus

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:22 AM

Wow looks very good. If you get anymore prints I would love to trade with you.

#33 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:49 PM

Looks like I was also growing some sort of polypore. It smelled mushroomy but that didn't mean it was the right mushroom. I checked out the pores under the microscope and they did contain a few white spores and other structures like basidia and cystidia. It is probably one of those crust-like polypores but it could also be a deformed shelf species.

I got a new print from siam jim for another attempt. I won't be growing this particular contaminate now that I know what it looks like on agar.

Attached Thumbnails

• Polypore unknown contaminate reduced.JPG

#34 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:04 PM

I'm sorry to say this, but I don't feel nearly as bad as I did.

Well good luck with your new project Workman.

#35 apokalypse

apokalypse

Dr. Durgs

• Expired Member
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:55 PM

Weirdest thing I've seen here yet (Workman's pic).

Those rhino's look beautiful, I love mushrooms with abnormal colors.

#36 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:54 AM

though thats not the rhino...it looks kool. sorry about that guys...have to remember its a wild print and there are some nasties....need to isolate them.
also there are many polypores species over here. hope the second print will work out.

siam

#37 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:15 AM

No worries and I appreciate the opportunity. The Rhino Foot spores seem reluctant to germinate on agar which gives even small numbers of contaminates a chance to grow. This crust-like polypore was the only germination point in 2 plates from the original print, which indicates that the print is fairly clean of other spores. I was suspicious of the mycelium from the beginning but it smelled like fresh mushrooms so I kept at it. If it had been some sort of mold I wouldn't have been fooled for so long. I am used to seeing a colorful assortment of contaminates from which I can isolate the good stuff, but its more difficult when there is no good stuff.

I am pouring new plates today for testing the newer print. I will update this thread if something develops. I know this species will be a good one if I can just get some viable mycelium going.

#38 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:28 AM

Your contaminate looks nearly identical to my caerulipes contaminate Workman. What's the deal with polypore contamination being so frequent? Is because they're so ubiquitous in nature?

#39 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:36 AM

Probably. But this is the first time I've experienced it.

#40 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:40 AM

Aye, I left out the other half of my question.

I meant; is it because they're so ubiquitous in nature, OR because the fungus is sporey? Ah, nevermind. lol

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!