Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Beekeepers and bee watchers come fourth!

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 BillyThKid

BillyThKid

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 632 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

planting clover after winter! legally i cant own them butttt i could attract them to my yard :)

Clover, lemon balm, lemon grass, bee sage, lavender, and much more will attract bees. Sorry you cant own them in your area. Hope you can move soon

• Spooner likes this

#42 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,729 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

In my corner of the world, Delphiniums and Fire Weed seems to be some of the biggest bee attractants. 

#43 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,541 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

Well skywatcher, there is actually an option for you if you wish to get a hive out of that wall. Typically every year a strong hive will split and swarm at least once or twice. When this happens they travel far and wide for a new home. You can set up what is known as a swarm trap with cotton balls soaked in lemon grass oil. This will naturally attract them to the swarm trap. Once a bee hive goes into the trap you have only a few days to move them into an actual hive box so you should have one ready and at hand.

Does the hive ever seem aggressive or are they find around humans?

I have a hive in one of my walls too. I like bees but had to call an exterminator because my wife is deathly allergic and they were swarming all over the place. The exterminator tried but didn't kill them all. He said the hive was huge. They haven't swarmed for a few months since he came but they are still there. I'm going to try the swarm trap and see if that works. I tried to find a local beekeeper to get them but nobody would come get them. I hate to kill bees and I hope the trap works. When I was about 4 or 5 years old I had bees that were getting in my bedroom window and hanging out on the sill inside. I was too young to know they could sting and I would pick them up and play with them and they never stung me. Of course my mom freaked out when she saw me playing with them and that was the end of the bees. :-(

#44 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,936 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:13 PM

The bee's living in the block wall are totally non aggressive. I am myself allergic to bee stings, but I have no fear of them and I do believe they sense that. I can work within 5 feet of the hive entry and they do not bother me, of course, I do not bother them either.

Some of the plants I have added to the yard for the bee's (and me too) are several types of lavender in boarders, Rosemary, a few more fruit trees, peach and Orange, Cape and regular honeysuckle, Butterfly bush, and a ground cover in a few areas called "strawberry plant" although it is not a real strawberry.

I quit eradicating clover several years ago. I leave it in some of the beds as it chooses, and there are several areas in the lawn where it is allowed to grow as it pleases. I did this because my tortoises like to eat it as well. The bees also seem to enjoy drinking from the pond, or at least the wet areas adjacent. 

#45 1967FordTitus

1967FordTitus

Mycotopiate

• Banned Member
  • 2,099 posts

Donator

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

Kid, thank you for starting this thread, so much great info!

#46 Sickmanlives

Sickmanlives

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 794 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

Why are all the Bee's disappearing?

I love honey, I try and eat a spoonful everyday.

It's just good medicine imo.

My uncle was a beekeeper for years as well.

Died when he was 92. I think it had to do with good health and honey.

#47 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:47 AM

Clover, lemon balm, lemon grass, bee sage, lavender, and much more will attract bees.

All good suggestions, my lawn is mostly clover now. I would add to that list fruit trees, which provide both nectar and yummy fruit.

#48 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:31 AM

Current hypotheses include microwave pollution (from cell phone towers), Genetically Modified Crops (nicotine genes etc.), poliferation of pesticides, and global trade (which allows bee diseases to be spread arround the world). My own belief is that multiple rapid alterations in the bee's environment have made it hard for the bees to adapt sufficiently quickly. I hope that raising bees locally from surviving stock may help address this problem. Projected world food production may drop by 80% if all the bees die and their pollution services are lost. Einstein estimated that humanity would die only 4 years after the bees are lost.

#49 BillyThKid

BillyThKid

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 632 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

Well skywatcher, there is actually an option for you if you wish to get a hive out of that wall. Typically every year a strong hive will split and swarm at least once or twice. When this happens they travel far and wide for a new home. You can set up what is known as a swarm trap with cotton balls soaked in lemon grass oil. This will naturally attract them to the swarm trap. Once a bee hive goes into the trap you have only a few days to move them into an actual hive box so you should have one ready and at hand.

Does the hive ever seem aggressive or are they find around humans?

I have a hive in one of my walls too. I like bees but had to call an exterminator because my wife is deathly allergic and they were swarming all over the place. The exterminator tried but didn't kill them all. He said the hive was huge. They haven't swarmed for a few months since he came but they are still there. I'm going to try the swarm trap and see if that works. I tried to find a local beekeeper to get them but nobody would come get them. I hate to kill bees and I hope the trap works. When I was about 4 or 5 years old I had bees that were getting in my bedroom window and hanging out on the sill inside. I was too young to know they could sting and I would pick them up and play with them and they never stung me. Of course my mom freaked out when she saw me playing with them and that was the end of the bees. :-(

i should clarify what i said, i use terms that i expect everyone to understand but i forget not everyone is a bee keeper. 

So far as the bees in the wall you are like to never get rid of them. A swarm trap wont get rid of the bees either. A swarm trap is for when a hive has grown to such a size that its population can no longer be supported by the singular hive. At that time the one bee hive will make queen cells to birth new qeens out of. once these are made the old queen and HALF the bees in the hive will fly out of the hive to a new home. This leaves behind a hive still. The swarm trap is really only good for catching bees when they naturally devide their own hive.

short of taring out the wall there is virtually nothing you can do to remove the bees other than killing them. I am sorry for your position. 

The bee's living in the block wall are totally non aggressive. I am myself allergic to bee stings, but I have no fear of them and I do believe they sense that. I can work within 5 feet of the hive entry and they do not bother me, of course, I do not bother them either.

Some of the plants I have added to the yard for the bee's (and me too) are several types of lavender in boarders, Rosemary, a few more fruit trees, peach and Orange, Cape and regular honeysuckle, Butterfly bush, and a ground cover in a few areas called "strawberry plant" although it is not a real strawberry.

I quit eradicating clover several years ago. I leave it in some of the beds as it chooses, and there are several areas in the lawn where it is allowed to grow as it pleases. I did this because my tortoises like to eat it as well. The bees also seem to enjoy drinking from the pond, or at least the wet areas adjacent. 

good to not be scared of them, i am not scared of them but i do have a healthy respect for them. Several years ago several bee keepers in my area along with myself were pulling honey from hives in the end of a season. One of the bee keepers only wore gloves and a net hat. he had no problems most of the day but later on he got stung. Once he was stung we lost sight of him, Bees from all 50+ hives SWARMED over him. by the time any of us knew what was happening he was on the ground no longer moving. We managed to drag him away from the hives while using our smokers to chase the remaining bees away from him.

He was brought to the hospital (alive) with over 2000 bee stings. He survived for several hours after but never woke up. later that day he died. THAT is why i wear a bee suit. that man had been a bee keeper for 30+ years and never worn a full suit. All it takes is one bee sting and the ALL the other bees are after you.

Kid, thank you for starting this thread, so much great info!

Thank you for reading it. 

I love honey, I try and eat a spoonful everyday.

It's just good medicine imo.

My uncle was a beekeeper for years as well.

Died when he was 92. I think it had to do with good health and honey.

as Spooner said there are many theories as to what is causing it. From my own personal observations and research i believe the leading cause to be genetically modified Plants and plants sprayed with pesticides. The bees collect food from the plants which is laced with harmful chemicals and bring it back to the hives when in turn kills the hive.

Current hypotheses include microwave pollution (from cell phone towers), Genetically Modified Crops (nicotine genes etc.), poliferation of pesticides, and global trade (which allows bee diseases to be spread arround the world). My own belief is that multiple rapid alterations in the bee's environment have made it hard for the bees to adapt sufficiently quickly. I hope that raising bees locally from surviving stock may help address this problem. Projected world food production may drop by 80% if all the bees die and their pollution services are lost. Einstein estimated that humanity would die only 4 years after the bees are lost.

80% is just a guess as well. If the bees die out then many species of plant will. because bees and butterflies pollinate some of the same plants when the bees go those plant populations will go down, which in turn will make less food around for the butterflies when will then cause the butterflies to dwindle even more.

so if the bees are gone and then the butterflies lose their food and die even more that means that even MORE plants will go extinct. 

4 years is generous, back when Einstein was alive the population was not as large, there was more private farm land and more bees around. Now there are less bees, less true farm land, more people, and we would be absolutely fucked. 

i doubt it would take 2 years before the  human population was halfed. the plant population would take a huge hit within the first year without bees. The first winter after bees are gone will see such a shortage of food it will be a new hell.

I never want to see a world without bees, i would rather see Zombies arise than bees go. What a terrible world it would be without bees. People starving every day, no one would be healthy enough to do much work. power grids would go down, people would start eating one another, violence and crime will sky rocket. unspeakable things to horrible to talk about would come about, if the bees go, the whole planet will take quite a few thousand years to recover.

• Spooner likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!