• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:11 AM

Looks pretty slick Workman! Hey, does this mean that your preparing for...... !!!!!!!!!!!!!

#42 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:22 AM

I am hopeful, but I am currently just refining my microscopy skills. I am initially working up just the fresh material. I then need to work on my significant backlog of dried specimens.

In other "exclusive to this forum" news:

It looks like a good crop of Psilocybe arcana is coming along. I'll take pictures this weekend and do a post on that species.

The red spored Australian Panaeolus cyanescens (RDU) is due to be released next week and will be accompanied with a similar photo workup.

#43 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:48 AM

Nice job with the Weraroa! I'm looking forward to this one being released.

P. arcana eh? Not much info out there on this one. Guessing it's a cousin to P. cyanescens,
perhaps similar to P. serbica. Can't wait to see your pics!

Red spored Aussi Pan too, wow....Blue Helix will be proud. I'm happy to have come up with a name that stuck (RDU) Red Down Under. ;)

#44 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:28 PM

Any updates on the progress of this one, Workman?

It would be interesting to study the potential expansion / naturalization of this specie. Would it take off? Are there bugs outside of its natural area that would really get down on it and then appropriately spread the spores?

#45 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:41 PM

Oh sure. Working on the spore extraction now. The spores are not as abundant as I was hoping but I think I can squeeze out a few dozen syringes. I currently writing the descriptive page and that should be up next week or so, even if the syringes fail.
I need to do some indoor cultivation attempts but the microscopy work on other species is distracting me.
One other note: There is something very repulsive about the fresh pouches when you consider eating one. It is like an instinct that you really shouldn't put this bloated tick-like, blue-grey blob into your mouth. They look much nicer dried. I can't wait until the next Fall season.

Slugs are a big problem with this species and measures need to be taken to prevent them from taking large bites from the pouches.

Attached Thumbnails

• Weraroa (2) reduced.JPG
  • Weraroa novaezelandiae (1) reduced.JPG

#46 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:45 PM

One other note: There is something very repulsive about the fresh pouches when you consider eating one. It is like an instinct that you really shouldn't put this bloated tick-like, blue-grey blob into your mouth. They look much nicer dried. I can't wait until the next Fall season.

Nice. :lol:

A few dozen, eh? DIBS ON ONE!

#47 {Mr}fLoYd

{Mr}fLoYd

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:57 PM

I dont mean to be an ass kisser by any means but does WLJ have his own section in the vaults yet for strain summaries? between growth peramiters and substrate details he should with all the info on mushroom growth in general he provides ( and discussions he starts) here. :bow:

#48 ANON

ANON

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 307 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:00 AM

Interesting. What are the legal status of these mushrooms?

#49 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:26 AM

Many suspect that Weraroa contain psilocybin,
though I'm not sure a proper lab analysis has been done yet.
(Gas Chromatography or Thin Layer Chromatography)
The bluing seems to point to decent levels of psilocin present.
One thing is for sure, they'd be a weird one to get caught with.
Officer, I swear it's a tick!

Attached Thumbnails

• Ixodes-ricinus.jpg

#50 josephs coat

josephs coat

We forge our own chains

• Expired Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:49 PM

those are so awesome. has anyone started distributing the spores yet?

#51 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,584 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:52 AM

Does anyone know how many hallucenogenic mushrooms are out there?
Before I found this place I just knew of cubies and amanitas.

There are more than 215 species worldwide of halluci9nogenic mushrooms. 195 contain psilocine an/or psilocybine

See:

http://www.mushroomj...rg/articles.htm

Worldwide Distribution of Neurotropic Fungi by Guzman, Allen And Gartz.

mjshroomer

#52 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,584 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:07 AM

[quote name='waylitjim']There's no exact numbers because new mushrooms are always discoverd. But the common ones are Amanita muscaria, which contain the psychoactive chemicals ibotenic acid and muscimol. Then there's the genera Panaeolus consisiting of Panaeolus cyanescens, cambodginiensis, tropicalis and subbalteatus. You have the genus Gymnopilus which consists of a few mildly active species like Gymnopilus spectabilis and Gymnopilus purpuratus. Last but not least the geus Psilocybe. This genus goes far and wide, worldwide there's close to 100 different species in the Psilocybe genus, and the list is still growing.QUOTE]

There are 12 families of mushrooms containing psychoactive Tryptamine alkaloids substances. These include are 11 Panaeolus, 13 Copelandia species, 6, Pluteus, 13 Gymnopilus, 6 Hypholomas, 4 Conocybes, 6 Inocybes, 1 Agrocybe, 1 Mycena, 1 Pouch Fungi and more than 115 known Species of psilocybian Psilocybes.

An Updated list of the Psilocybes and their chemical references by me will appear in this summers issue of the Entheogenic Review.

Other psychoactive species are: 3 Amanita, 5 Claviceps, 2 Cordyceps, 6 Boletus, 2 Heimella, 6 Rusullas, 2 Lycoperdons, 2 Vascellums, 1 Dycyophora.

And a few more Psilocybe species I cannot name which will appear in my forthcoming paper.

mjshroomer

and

Guzman has about a dozen more for his updated Genus Psilocybe which comes out in late 2009

#53 mycot

mycot

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:51 AM

Late 2009? God, thats a long wait :( .:eusa_wall:smokin:
I guess todays fast paced world makes me more impatient LOL.

#54 kayslab

kayslab

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:22 AM

they still dont print even when smudged

#55 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,771 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:11 PM

Bump

For one of the coolest looking magik fungus ever. I would love to try these one day.

:bow:

#56 tenjin

tenjin

dizzy with possibilities

• Expired Member
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:43 PM

wow thx for the bump hyph, this is one interesting thread about one
interesting fungi.

#57 radalien

radalien

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:31 PM

Given that its methods of spore dropping rely on it to rot in the field and that it sounds uncommon, it might be worthwhile to try to promote the idea that people collecting it simply for its magical properties 'field dress' their collections. I don't believe the gill material contains the stuff they want, does it? So if they pull that part out and drop it back in the soil, it seems they'd have better odds of finding more next year or at the very least, not pushing a rare and apparently ancient species over the brink.

#58 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,771 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:37 PM

It grows naturally in New Zealand where it is rare.

Edited by Freaky, 09 January 2011 - 07:00 PM.
removed non-sponsor

#59 piggy69

piggy69

E.O.S

• Expired Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

Not in stock at the moment.

#60 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,771 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:07 PM

Keep checking. Maybe Workman will give us an update.

Where there's demand , there's spores.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!