#1 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,273 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

In January went to SF and picked up a 6 dollar newspaper mush kit of oysters. I noticed the small container of spawn was very dry. Can one dry spawn and package and send to others (not withstanding laws on sending mycelia). How does one do this and preserve long term viability? Just hypothetically. Even a small amount could be plated on agar later. Am I just whistling in the wind? I am thinking of this with difficult strains that don't produce much spores. Just pondering.

#2 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

if your talking about just Mycelium... if it DRIES it DIES.

If your talking about STONES aka Sclerotia(spelling), you can have better luck as the stones
are generated by the Mycelium as a safe guard against DRY CONDITIONS, this stone
can hold moisture inside it for a long time, not sure how long but if it dries up, it will most likely
have a little bit of moisture deep inside for the myc to survive.

So to answer your question... you cant DRY mycelium and expect it to come back, UNLESS there are
portion that have not completely DRIED OUT or if there are any possible spores on the myc you can
get those to germinate.

But dont take my word for it, im probably wrong as usual and I dont know a single thing lol

Edited by Il19z8rn4li1, 20 July 2013 - 10:22 AM.

#3 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,273 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

Does it make a difference if the mycelia is in the form of spawn with grains colonized? That is what I received in this dried container that poured out like so much dried oatmeal.

#4 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

Does it make a difference if the mycelia is in the form of spawn with grains colonized? That is what I received in this dried container that poured out like so much dried oatmeal.

were the grain kernels 100% DRIED? im going by the FIRST POSTS QUESTION.

"Can one dry spawn and package and send to others (not withstanding laws on sending mycelia)"

When i see DRY, im thinking ZERO MOISTURE.

is there a possibility that maybe the grain or mycelium wasnt DRY?

Personally, id never buy SPAWN, but like i said thats PERSONALLY aka Personal Preference.
My reasoning..
1 - MY climate is way to freaking hot to mail something like that...
2 - i can more easily expand the mycelium that comes in a Liquid Culture
3 - I can order SPORES no matter the temperature outside.
4 - The cost of the spawn plus the shipping, you could easily just make your own spawn for cheaper
or MORE for same price.

#5 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,273 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

The spawn appeared completely dry and poured like individual kernals. It was in a dry plastic dontainer and I saw zero moisture.

#6 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

The spawn appeared completely dry and poured like individual kernals. It was in a dry plastic dontainer and I saw zero moisture.

well did it work for you?

because that would completely negate my current impression. lol :)

#7 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,273 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

yes it grew , flourished and produced fruit. I cannot negate that I was wrong in my observations. Next time in SF will get the company name and ask about the preparation of the kit

#8 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

yes it grew , flourished and produced fruit. I cannot negate that I was wrong in my observations. Next time in SF will get the company name and ask about the preparation of the kit

Well shit....slap my silly and call me stupid ;)
My thoughts were completely WRONG. Now we all know ;)

Being truthful with you, i honestly didnt look it up before I answered, i was merely going
by what I have seen in my indoor jive. Guess i never attempted to REHYDRATE a dried out stalled
block or patty... HUM... interesting that I could have just used those dried out blocks
that I suspected to be dead in a patch outside.

http://www.shroomolo...-mycelium-dead/

Sporeology has been performing some quality control testing on all of our live cultures, to make sure that we are offering only the best products to our customers... We were testing our LC of cordyceps and I remembered that I had an old dried out little wedge of agar that once was colonized by cordyceps militaris mycelium. It has been completely dried out since june of 2012. To give you an idea of how dry, it was similar to the consistency of a stale, burnt potato chip. So i threw this piece of dried cordyceps agar into a fresh agar dish, and 5 days later, it has come back to life. Personally I didn't think that it would, but I did know that mycelium can be freeze dried and come back to life, so I thought this might have a chance. Dried mycelium can be revived, and your old dried out substrates are just waiting to find some moisture to come back to life Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• wildedibles likes this

#9 drbobb

drbobb

mycolover

• Expired Member
  • 478 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

You can actually even take a dried mushroom specimen and bring it back to life on agar, I've done this with both active and edibles, I remember once I couldn't get anything to germinate so I got some fruits from a "friend" and started them on agar. I also had a single colonized kernel I kept for a couple years, and it also expanded out on agar as well, I don't know how long a died specimen will reanimate, but it would be cool to find out. It could be used for very long term storage.
  • wildedibles and Seeker2be like this

#10 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

so long as the cell walls are intact the mycelium is still viable. fast and intense drying methods typically end up with all of the cell walls damaged. if dried slow and gentle many of the cells will avoid the damage. too many variables to predict how long it can be stored, but if done properly I would imagine it would keep for quite some time.
  • wildedibles and Seeker2be like this

#11 gremlinchode

gremlinchode

Fed after Midnight

• Expired Member
  • 806 posts

Donator

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:44 AM

"Commercial rye grain, available through co-ops and feed companies, is 11% water by mass, plus or minus 2%.  The precise amount of water locked up in a grain can be determined by weighing a sample of 100 grams. Then weigh the same sample again after it has been dried in an oven at (250* F for 3 hours) and subtract the new weight from the original 100 grams.  The resultant figure is the percentage of moisture naturally bound within the grain". Paul Stamets The mushroom cultivator page 44/45 grain culture.

This information would lead me to believe that there was some moisture although it appears dry, but I don't know if it would be enough to keep mycelium alive. That is very cool that it flourished and produced fruit for you.  Everything I attempt to grow seems to be an epic fail, I just tell myself that in an alternate dimension they are flourishing and propagating and I just happen to be in a dimension that does not produce fruit  :tinfoil:

• wildedibles likes this

#12 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:11 AM

lol I agree with you there gremlinchode my other mushroom dimension should be alive and vibrant too :)

This is neat info I accedently dried my Shiitake block out too much after the last flush I had thought i probably killed it for sure so thanks It might still be alive It dried out slowly some hope is better than none :)

• gremlinchode likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!