• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Linux

Linux

Forever a Student

• Expired Member
  • 430 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

Alright, I've got nowhere else to turn other than this site for help!

I recently moved my cactus, now they're showing signs of getting too much light.
Thankfully it's not sunburn, they're just a yellow green more than a dark green. Are there any "side effects" so to speak if they get this amount of sun as opposed to ample shade?
Here is a picture, doesn't do complete justice but pretty close.
DSC03784.jpg

I've got another strange occurrence, this blemish appeared maybe a week ago give or take a few days.
2-3 days ago I notice these yellow/orange blotches, any ideas what it might be?
DSC03786.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC03784.jpg

#2 Thulsa_Doom

Thulsa_Doom

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

That blemish surrounded by the splotchy orange is indicative of a rotting spot in my opinion. Is it soft and mushy in that spot? I think if you back the yellow cactus into shade it will regain its rich green color. The side effect would be etiolation. ( stretching and thinning of the top portion)

#3 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

I dont know much. But the pictures I have seen of the ones under a tree vs the ones in the open. The light makes them change to yellow.

But think you answered your question.

#4 Linux

Linux

Forever a Student

• Expired Member
  • 430 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

I dont know much. But the pictures I have seen of the ones under a tree vs the ones in the open. The light makes them change to yellow.

But think you answered your question.

Yeah I am assuming they are getting too much direct sun, just not sure if it's detrimental to their health or not.

No, it's not rot as far as I can tell, it appeared randomly and it was the same size that it is now.

#5 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,864 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

Trichs, usually Pedros, get those black spots from time to time. Sometimes they weep black ooze. If it is, and stays, localized it does not spread like other forms of rot and just goes away on its' own. Are you willing to check the roots of the yellow one? My gut tells me it has root issues. Maybe a rot under the soil, or some bug issue. It looks worse than just an adjustment to light, like maybe it's starving. Also if you raise enough cactus you'll lose some every year to something which never identifies itself. I'd put the number at 2% a year if you have a hundred columns, and it seems to happen (at least to me) after or during the over-winter hibernation in my basement.
  • wildedibles likes this

#6 Linux

Linux

Forever a Student

• Expired Member
  • 430 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

Trichs, usually Pedros, get those black spots from time to time. Sometimes they weep black ooze. If it is, and stays, localized it does not spread like other forms of rot and just goes away on its' own. Are you willing to check the roots of the yellow one? My gut tells me it has root issues. Maybe a rot under the soil, or some bug issue. It looks worse than just an adjustment to light, like maybe it's starving. Also if you raise enough cactus you'll lose some every year to something which never identifies itself. I'd put the number at 2% a year if you have a hundred columns, and it seems to happen (at least to me) after or during the over-winter hibernation in my basement.

I can probably uproot them, hopefully without needing to break the pots.
I'll let you know with pictures. :)

Edit: I have three that are the same size, all three are the same color..and I have my bridgesii monstrose in similar conditions and soil, it's doing just fine...so I would hate too think all three are dying all at once. I may as well still uproot one and check, what should I be looking for?

Edited by Linux, 30 July 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#7 Thulsa_Doom

Thulsa_Doom

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 219 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

I just uprooted my san pedro from my backyard. It has been in the ground for approximately 3 weeks, but upon inspecting it today, it was really fat with water, and had yellow markings similar to yours. I figured the heavy rains we had the first week I planted it, and it getting too much sun are the culprits. I checked for any signs of rot, none. Just seems fat with water and too much light. Replanted it in its original pot, with my home made cactus mix (miracle gro (organic not fert release) perlite, and coarse sand 1/3 each) I also put it up on my porch out of the direct light. The next few weeks will tell if it will survive.

#8 tdaeik

tdaeik

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

looks fine to me, wouldn't worry about the splot, they come and go, it'll just leave a scar. if you get the black death you'll know, how long's it been since you fed it? trich's are hardy and can like quite a bit of food and water in the growing season.

#9 tdaeik

tdaeik

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

also imo with trich's the more sun the better. put mine in full sun in the summer if i can,
  • Coopdog likes this

#10 BecomeTheOther

BecomeTheOther

Seeker

• OG VIP
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

my trichs get blacks spots here and there all the time. they grow right on never noticing. About the full sunlight, it depends on the plant. 2 of my bridgessii really flourished and had growth spurts in full sun whereas with 2 others full sun changed their color to a more lime green and seems to have stunted their growth rate...
  • Coopdog and wildedibles like this

#11 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:26 AM

Have to revive this thread because Im experiencing the same issue with my SPs.

They have been doing very well outdoors during the day where they get full sun from sunrise until about 1pm.. they will remain out until just after sunset when I bring them inside for the night.

Recently left them out for 4 full days outside on their own and when I came home they were very yellow and soft. Heres a pic...

IMG_3453.JPG

They are fine now after just one night one night back inside the house and less of a full day out in the sun.

Is this from too much direct sun or is it from being out in the cold. Im in SoCal, its not cold.

• wildedibles likes this

#12 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:47 AM

They have been doing very well outdoors during the day where they get full sun from sunrise until about 1pm.. they will remain out until just after sunset when I bring them inside for the night.

Recently left them out for 4 full days outside on their own and when I came home they were very yellow and soft. Heres a pic...

attachicon.gifIMG_3453.JPG

They are fine now after just one night one night back inside the house and less of a full day out in the sun.

Is this from too much direct sun or is it from being out in the cold. Im in SoCal, its not cold.

cuttings? new or old cuttings hows the roots?

someone will be along with more helpful advice
the ones I have r just babies ;) no cuttings
no warmth here yet just above freezing ....??

#13 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,723 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:32 AM

Adrian,

Its quite normal for pedros to yellow a bit in full sun. The softness is a concern. I keep mine out all year, but in the winter months they are kept dryer. If these have a fully developed root system, let them go dry and provide mid day shade. They will darken again. The combo of warm soil and broken sun will firm them up. They can't drink when they are cold so they soften if the soil is too wet. You run a risk of root rot if the pot gets alot of rain when it is cold.

Keep them warm for a while and on the dry side in bright but not direct sun and they should firm up and darken again. We had a go round with rain and cold recently, and if they were out at that time it makes some sense. They can take cold, but I put mine under the eves in winter to keep the direct rain off. The pedros are tough, and should recover fairly quickly. Sun bleaching (yellowing) does not effect the potency.

• wildedibles and adrian118 like this

#14 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:47 PM

ok, that sounds right Sky. I did water them last week or a few days before I went out of town.

They must have still been pretty moist when I left them outside while i was away. And we did have some cold and wet weather. 

Good news is they are feeling firm again and color is back to normal. The heat this week will help I'm sure.

Thanks guys!

• Skywatcher likes this

#15 DualWieldRake

DualWieldRake

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:33 PM

Yellow can also mean a nutrient deficiency

• adrian118 likes this

#16 DualWieldRake

DualWieldRake

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:01 PM

attachicon.gifIMG_3453.JPG

Could very well be sunburn, is it on one side only?

#17 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:53 PM

Its since improved a bit since I brought it back in.

Worried it may have been overwatered and left in the cold, I had out in the sun again today hoping to dry it up a bit. But the coloration is back and is a bit soft again as well. The coloration is a bit worse on the sunnny side but only slightly.

I have a pot a few SPs growing outdoors at my parents house, in the same neighborhood. These have been in full sun since i brought them home and jus went through a ton of rain. They are doing fine. 

Think the best thing i can do is keep them inside for now until they recover. Then try the sun again.... not sure.

#18 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,331 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:23 PM

whats the nutrients one can give to their trichs its been awhile since transplanted mine and they could use some food this summer i believe.

#19 DualWieldRake

DualWieldRake

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:13 AM

Any old plant food should work i think

#20 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,723 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2018 - 06:35 PM

Any old plant food should work i think

This is really, really, bad information Dual. Not only can you not use "any old plant food" on cactus, to do so can kill them. Cactus cannot take high nitrogen ferts, it burns them. Please do not advise what you do not know or have not used personally here.

Cactus should only be fed when actively growing and warm, never when dormant or cold. I recommend a ratio of something like

2-7-7 for feeding.

• pharmer, invisibilitysyndrome and adrian118 like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!