21 replies to this topic

#1 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,893 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

I think Costa Rica has a selection of retreats where mushrooms and MDMA are available, but I cant really find any.  I have a dream which involves a bad ass retreat of the future which uses psychedelics plus therapy for miraculous experiences for travelers in psych- friendly countries.   Anyone know how I can find such places for my next vacation, if I can ever save some money..  That would be so much fun!  And something tells me this isnt too far off in the future, but probably happening now.  I dunno though because I cant really find any.  There are Iboga centers, and yoga retreats but what about a fun/ spiritual experience- retreat for the psychonaut?  They must be out there already, I can feel it in my bones!

• wildedibles likes this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,034 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

I know of one person who could advise you on the Iboga retreats. If he's still around, you should hit up Calaquendi - he has a lot of knowledge in regards to what you're looking for.

If you're ballsy enough, you can always attempt to write McKenna, Pinchbeck, Hancock, etc. and ask them for some guidance so you might replicate their worldly journeys. I actually recommend this strategy but many folks just aren't comfortable "cold-calling" like that. I've always figured that if I have access to a resource, and don't exercise the rights, then I have no room to complain if I don't get what I want. It will probably surprise you when you actually get a response - these folks are ppl too.

• riseabovethought, wildedibles and SillyCone like this

#3 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,893 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

Thanks brother.  Yeah, I guess theres nothing quite like just doing it.  I do plan to go on a psychedelic 'trip' so to speak, and take my body with me this time to where things are legal so danger is minimal and a retreat approach might just be a brilliant business concept I ponder exploring one day or just joining up with an already successful outfit, but so far accessing these types of retreats has been a bit tricky. 

Iboga retreats are almost what i am looking for, except that its generally only Iboga and I would like to see more of a selection, like pans and cubes and MDMA, for starters, and some bad ass therapists, on top of that might be the bees knees in a friendly environment.  I could see that kind of business doing well.. Theres biomedical tourism, so this would be psychonautical tourism.  I seriously think this segment of tourism is growing fast. 

Im going to check out Evolver magazine, they seem to talk a lot about meet ups with some of the folks you mentioned Myc.. I think I prefer to go to Costa Rica and track these retreats down the ol fashioned way.  Thanks Myc!

• wildedibles likes this

#4 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,287 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

Make your own is my advice. We look for secluded rental properties in awesome locations and specify that privacy is a must when we sign the agreement. So far it has been 100% AWESOME! PEace...

• coorsmikey, riseabovethought and wildedibles like this

#5 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,127 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:59 PM

I don't know, but it's somewhere "away"

... so that you can have peace enough to get deep inside your mind.

I went to Iquitos, Peru.  (call me a yuppie, i dare ya)

Mixed feelings.  Some of what I was looking for, some of what I wanted to flee from in the Western World...

The disease that afflicts us has penetrated to some degree the indigenous culture there.  They cling, but I ask them, "how can you believe in Jesus or Mary when it was 20,000 years before your ancestors encountered the religions of the Europeans?"

They eat their buttons or drink their vines, and talk of virgins.

Its enough to leave you confused.  It's not that I don't believe in ayahuasca anymore, it's just that the scope of the field is large, and changing.  The vine talks to you about this, and asks you questions.

"Where do we go from here" might be the words.

Edited by darci, 12 November 2013 - 11:00 PM.

• riseabovethought, stoffel, wildedibles and 2 others like this

#6 stoffel

stoffel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

the spirit of the vine is unique, and peopple will always be peopple. they can represent the vine, but the culture around it are just peopple like you and me.

The teachings are unique and cant be learned thru peopple, only true the plants.

i learned things, and feeled one with the universe, but after a time forgot it again, peopple allways wander of, and have to have someone to slap them back on track.

And 'someone' istn a person. 

Thats my opinion :)

• riseabovethought and permafrying like this

#7 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,808 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

I think Costa Rica has a selection of retreats where mushrooms and MDMA are available, but I cant really find any.  I have a dream which involves a bad ass retreat of the future which uses psychedelics plus therapy for miraculous experiences for travelers in psych- friendly countries.   Anyone know how I can find such places for my next vacation, if I can ever save some money..  That would be so much fun!  And something tells me this isnt too far off in the future, but probably happening now.  I dunno though because I cant really find any.  There are Iboga centers, and yoga retreats but what about a fun/ spiritual experience- retreat for the psychonaut?  They must be out there already, I can feel it in my bones!

Costa Rica is changing fast, and most definitely NOT for the better. I'd avoid it for what you're seeking.

IMO the only frontier left where truly uncharted wilderness can be found is within. It's WAY bigger than the physical Universe anyway, so it's actually a great trade-off. I prefer lush jungles or the vastness of a mountain range, but a studio apartment in NYC is as good a point of departure as any once we're good at transcending distraction and realize that wilderness is what's real and ubiquitous (even in NYC) and "civilization" is merely an abstract construct, little more than a superficial veneer that helps us maintain the illusion that we're something more than a bunch of bewildered, partly-domesticated primates wandering lost in the cosmos (in the Walker Percy sense).

In that sense, learning how to journey within from an apartment in a big city makes your mind more resilient against distraction and Bad Thoughts than tripping in the easy bliss of a beautiful, secluded spot in nature. Anyone can have a good time in Heaven, as it were. If escaping reality is the goal then a quiet spot in the woods is ideal (and having such is priceless; we all need a good shelter for our mind as well as our body and I definitely have mine) but if confronting the juggernaut of unchecked consumption that is destroying the biosphere is the goal then we need to learn how to stay centered and true to ourselves no matter what is happening all around us lest we get swept away by it and end up as part of the problem instead of the solution. We can't hide in our cozy shelters forever or they'll just get bulldozed with us still in them.

It's a lot like staying in the eye of a hurricane. To do that we have to keep moving as the hurricane does. Or surfing (my preferred metaphor), since surfing is about standing on the razor's edge of Order in the midst of deadly Chaos. And as anyone who's surfed anything knows, it's a constantly-shifting, dynamic balance that takes a lot of energy and concentration (keeping one's balance on the edge of a dancing razor ain't easy). If we try to walk this path while being easily distracted then we will lack the energy to maintain that balance and will thereby be cut to pieces. So IMO it's preferable that someone not begin to walk the path of inner vision at all than to half-ass it and end up a FUBAR'ed basket case.

If this all seems a little too 'out there' to someone then I suggest they go look at the stars and think about what they're seeing. That's a pretty big chunk of spacetime we're seeing out of Earth's back door yet the whole thing still fits in the vanishingly-small speck of matter we call our brain. And if the recent calculations of some physicists are even partly correct then this might not be a metaphor; if the nature of the Universe is as co-creative as it seems then it's not a mental model of the Universe that's inside our heads, it's the actual Universe. So maybe a brain (or a mind, rather) is a kind of 4th-dimensional vessel (a container that is smaller than that which it contains).

I figure it has to be because the alternative is that we don't actually exist. By that I mean the total mass of the Universe (with or without Dark Matter) is so inconceivably vast in comparison to the mass of a human brain that when seen as a percentage (or any kind of comparison), the sum-total of the mass of all human brains is so insignificant with regards to the total mass of Everything that for all intents and purposes our existence falls beneath the margin of error of any comprehensive survey of reality. It only gets worse if Dark Matter is real as in that case all of the observable mass is only ~4% of the total, making our brains mere specks of specks of specks. One way to put it might be that "our brains ain't shit!" Our minds, on the other hand, are where it's at (apparently, and possibly literally).

So to me, inner space is the "final frontier" as well as the best psychedelic retreat (I prefer 'shelter' since ultimately there is no retreat). If you can find shelter in an urban hellscape then you can keep your shit together if you end up in jail or otherwise stuck in unpleasant circumstances beyond your physical control. Lest we forget, there's a war on and we're all on one side or the other whether we like it or not. If we don't return from our wilderness shelter to fight against the man-made entropy that's still spreading like a parasitic fungus then one day our pristine psychedelic shelters will end up being strip-mall parking lots.

There's no need to go anywhere, and in fact our expectations when we "go" somewhere are generally just the seeds of our eventual frustration and disappointment. We all possess all the internal tools we need to do what we're here to do already, but sometimes the long journeys are needed to help us understand why we don't need to take long journeys.

As usual, Rumi puts it much better: http://devotionlover...o-in-cairo.html

• riseabovethought, TurkeyRanch, wildedibles and 4 others like this

#8 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,893 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

Aw man, I wish I could write like that! ^ 

Thank you for the trip through the stars, looped around and right back where I started,

realizing I didnt have to go anywhere.  You are good.  Damn.  Im getting ready for a vision quest and I know

your words will return to remind me again later, when the grass appears greener on the other side or escaping sounds better than staying put..

that I already had everything I needed, and only needed to appreciate the vastness of all that I am, all that we are, authentic grateful love extract personified. 

I stand corrected, and I didnt hear that about Costa Rica.  What a shame.  Traveling within does save a lot of money on plane tix!  Woo hoo!

I fly through the stars whenever Im floating in the sensory dep tank. It happens automatically.. seamlessly..

I wonder if its because we really do come from them, & have flown with them before..

Delve within, for there are no limits there

Edited by riseabovethought, 23 November 2013 - 01:39 PM.

• wildedibles and SillyCone like this

#9 MagicWaffle

MagicWaffle

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

I just started a new tread FYI
https://mycotopia.ne...avelers-places/
  • riseabovethought likes this

#10 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,808 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

Aw man, I wish I could write like that! ^ 

Thank you for the trip through the stars, looped around and right back where I started,

realizing I didnt have to go anywhere.  You are good.  Damn.  Im getting ready for a vision quest and I know

your words will return to remind me again later, when the grass appears greener on the other side or escaping sounds better than staying put..

that I already had everything I needed, and only needed to appreciate the vastness of all that I am, all that we are, authentic grateful love extract personified. 

I stand corrected, and I didnt hear that about Costa Rica.  What a shame.  Traveling within does save a lot of money on plane tix!  Woo hoo!

I fly through the stars whenever Im floating in the sensory dep tank. It happens automatically.. seamlessly..

I wonder if its because we really do come from them, & have flown with them before..

Delve within, for there are no limits there

As Hip used to say, "Higher doses, more frequently!" Then sit down and throw words at your thoughts until some stick and just keep revising until the words are as close as possible to the images in your head (we all think in pictures).

But lest we forget, sometimes the grass really IS greener somewhere else, but sometimes we need the lessons of the wasteland. Sometimes my vision quests have told me to stay put, sometimes they've told me to get in my car and drive across the country in the middle of Winter to fix a loose end in my life I'd been neglecting. As long as my shelter is within, the specifics of my physical location aren't all that important. Just like with physical survival in the wilderness, our #1 priority in the spirit is shelter (and #'s 2, 3, and 4 -in order of importance- are water, fire and food; each has a spiritual counterpart to its physical manifestation that becomes clearer with continued meditation).

• riseabovethought, wildedibles and SillyCone like this

#11 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,127 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

I think what you may be waiting for doesn't exist yet, for legal reasons.  Yes, there are retreats, but I would think that Iboga retreats are more like staying in a hospital bed, then a nursing home for a while, and from what I saw of ayahuasca retreats... it's westerners acting spiritual because they're in the jungle.

Now don't get me wrong, the aya I drank there is legit, was very strong.  I had a disappointed vibe until the first night, where I just made my own world, but I did feel like I could have done it all at home.

What I really got out of it was they had a cook (is cook there the right word?  a lot of food was not cooked) there that made food for us, and it was quite varied and nice to my tummy, and didn't leave me with that sick, full, sluggish feeling that the American diet does.  To me, this is pretty important, even without drinking ayahuasca.

• riseabovethought, wildedibles and av8or like this

#12 barong

barong

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:13 PM

Not a retreat as such, but for a fun drug-fuelled getaway, Laos in South East Asia is the place to be. You can spend days floating down the river in an innertube, being pulled in my villagers who will sell you beers and weed. Later on in the evening, head to 'The Island', a series of shacks by the water, plenty of hammocks in huts, where you will be offered mushroom shakes & pizzas, special herb garlic bread, hash if youre lucky, heroin, ya-ba (a locally made amphetamine) and all sorts of pharmaceuticals if that's your thing. Booze, food and accommodation are all very cheap.

Elswhere in Laos, you can take a three day trek hrough the jungles, ziplining across canyons and sleeping in treehouses. Drugs or alcohol are strongly discouraged, when you're bunking down on a platform that is elevated above the forest canopy.

For a more spirutual wind down, head to the town of Luang Prabang, a UNESCO World Heritage site, for a Yoga retreat, and head to the capital city of Vientienne, where there are several Buddhist temples that are open for meditation to foreigners.

• riseabovethought and wildedibles like this

#13 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,831 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:27 AM

I want to eventually have something like this set up .... I dream of a place a healing center where we can have our herbals and mushrooms eat fresh yummy nutritious foods all healing our body's ....walks in the woods to see the beauty of the deep forest hunting and collecting wild food and medicine, and growing this nutritious stuff as well.

People that come can help collect or grow if they wish to get their hands dirty ;) an alternative medicine retreat in Canada ;)

Edited by wildedibles, 27 November 2013 - 07:27 AM.

• riseabovethought and SillyCone like this

#14 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,846 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:21 AM

I want to eventually have something like this set up .... I dream of a place a healing center where we can have our herbals and mushrooms eat fresh yummy nutritious foods all healing our body's ....walks in the woods to see the beauty of the deep forest hunting and collecting wild food and medicine, and growing this nutritious stuff as well.

People that come can help collect or grow if they wish to get their hands dirty ;) an alternative medicine retreat in Canada ;)

Great minds think alike...

I'm currently in the process of setting up a shamanic center in France, maybe in Spain if it's too hot to do in France...
My companion does magnetism, ericksonian hypnosis and naturopathy, I grow stuff, lead shamanic ceremonies with my allies the mushrooms, possibly changa/DMT and my music (drums, rattles, NAF, and soon synthesizers), I teach Toltech Wisdom and a friend of ours has extensive experience in leading ceremonies with Ayahuasca (she even can make people purge without any plants at all... Very impressive) and her songs (from shipibo, indian and tibetan traditions).

#15 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,831 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:46 AM

Yes we do Silly :) I have been thinking about this for a long time I am a Reflexologist, Nutritional consultant, Herbal consultant.  But I want to give other natural heath care profesionals a job here too with the skills they have it would broaden the services offered.

A way to heal with food that was grown right here or make sure it was grown right by local farmers ....this is why I am starting my window gardens collecting all these weird and wonderful plants from around the world :)

A couple of courses came up in a local college but u can take them on line too so I thought perfect ;) one is a eco tourism type course so u can give trip tours talk about the environment and how important it is to save the woods (so we can collect many wild woods ) ...The other is for helping disabled or sick people how to help them in today's society working in the community ;)

I think I really should jump on these courses to better follow my dream here :)

It will take long enough to get this old house renovated ...but this old house use to be a mid wife house so there is already enough rooms and such large shared living areas I think it would work perfect.

you still cannot advertise everything that you would want to

• SillyCone likes this

#16 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,846 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:48 PM

Indeed, you cannot advertise how you'd want to, but if we trust the Universe, He will help us meet the people we need to meet...

Every time I gave my trust to Life, She gave back so much !
"God" really wants us to have what we wish for...
That's why one has to be careful about what he wishes ;)
  • riseabovethought, wildedibles and av8or like this

#17 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,831 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:29 AM

Thanks for the reminder buddy ;) I needed to read this again and hey if in 2019 Canada legalizes weed :) I could have a weed retreat legally ;)

Edited by wildedibles, 20 December 2016 - 12:30 AM.

#18 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• Expired Member
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:00 AM

Two places that I am currently aware of in the states close to what you are seeking are......

http://www.peyoteway.org/(basically pay some cash, and trip out in the middle of the desert)

and....

http://www.angelvall...elvalley.org/  (couple people died here from a sweat lodge mishap, but hey, they are still up and running)

Then there's the ayahuasca retreats down toward peru....

#19 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,893 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:14 PM

^Thank you Fungi2bwith!  I have to say- out of all my threads I've ever posted here, this one got the most views with over 5000.  Even though it is 3 years old, I believe that this proves there is huge demand for this type of a back -to -nature retreat.  An addiction- treatment retreat based on Portugal's addiction program https://mycotopia.ne...ction-is-wrong/ would likely save upwards of 20,000 lives per year.

Its interesting how addiction treatment applies to all of the members of a culture that praises more material possessions and yearns for the approval of others as bad as this culture does.  Its a cultural problem, an infectious disease, always wanting more and 'grass is greener on the other side' syndrome.  Our entire culture needs to learn how to drop the insatiable ego and its constant wanting for more and more money, drugs, food, and alcohol, and instead adopt a newfound inner peace, balance, and confidence in our connection to the natural world.  This is my dream.  

Edited by riseabovethought, 12 January 2017 - 02:36 PM.

• wildedibles likes this

#20 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,831 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:13 PM

Sweet dream :) not too far off what we try and do around here ;) this place is my retreat :)

Wow thats alot of views ;)
  • riseabovethought likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!