22 replies to this topic

#1 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 4,950 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

It's been a ROUGH migration but we finally got there! I have some settings to adjust, permissions to tweak, and general tasks that need completed before we can let you in. The mods/admins have been in for nearly a week now and are familiarizing themselves with the new platform. I'm sure you'll notice LOTS of differences yourselves. Take your time and get to know the interfaces, if you have questions please feel free to ask and one of us can try to answer.  Also, take note that things may be a little rough at first, this platform is very different, and very complex, but much more capable then our previous platform.

You'll probably notice a few "Welcome" threads floating around, please feel free to stop in and let us know what you think!

#2 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 4,950 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

...oh, and we have a chat solution I think you'll love. <3

#3 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 4,950 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

The look/design is temporary. Please see this thread.

#4 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 4,950 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:20 PM

I forgot to mention the issue at the beginning - you know, where you could SEE something had changed but couldn't register or login? Everyone was receiving a "Permission Denied" error and not the nice message about the migration.

Anyway, that issue, was caused by some major permissions problems that had to be worked out first. We're about 98% complete and will bring topia live very, very soon.

#5 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 4,950 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:02 PM

We are LIVE!

Things are mostly setup, but we'll be adding and tweaking as we go. Enjoy!

#6 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 10,987 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

Welcome to your new home guys! been a long road but we made it! thanks for all your hard work zen. she looks great! ~hugsndrugs~

• catattack likes this

#7 saumad

saumad

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

hope no problems with site in future.. do you have any option how to reach forum if it is blocked by my internet operator?

#8 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 4,950 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:37 AM

hope no problems with site in future.. do you have any option how to reach forum if it is blocked by my internet operator?

I cannot imagine any internet provider "blocking" this site. Unless you're actually IN Russia, in which case it's possible? Still, we have other members from all over the world and have not been aware of any specific ISP bans. I doubled checked and *our* server hasn't blocked you sooo... odd.

Regardless, you can always use a VPN or Proxy service to access the site. Google is your friend, there are also threads here where people can help with this issue once you're past the probationary period.

Hope this helps!

#9 Xerces

Xerces

Embedded Spirit of Love & Power

• Expired Member
  • 963 posts

Donator

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

You could also use something called TOR onion browser, which completely anonymizes and encrypts your internet traffic. Although it's kind of slow, so an anonymous proxy would be better.

#10 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,029 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:35 PM

You could also use something called TOR onion browser, which completely anonymizes and encrypts your internet traffic. Although it's kind of slow, so an anonymous proxy would be better.

Nothing is completely anonymous online. I'd be especially wary of such claims from something originally sponsored by the U.S. Navy via DARPA.
  • AGAMA likes this

#11 monomark

monomark

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:48 AM

TOR is actually a fairly secure browser. This is the browser they use for silk road and similar sites. Its claimed it would take years of decrypting to crack

#12 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 4,950 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:25 PM

Too bad it relies upon other technology which isn't as secure and has been hacked to their ends - re: the Firefox bug that caused the leak of real IPs.

http://www.theregist...history_of_tor/
http://www.theregist..._road_shutdown/

Nothing is completely anonymous online. 

That's about the long and short of it. There are plenty of people, all of which smarter than you or I, that truly understand how this technology works. Some of those people work for the governments of the world, some the crime organizations, and some are just regular joes like us. Thinking that anything online is ever 100% secure does nothing but provide a false sense of security at best.

#13 vork21

vork21

Fan Man

• Expired Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:19 AM

1.02 x 1037 years to brute force the key using the likes of a rented Amazon cluster.  The cipher (Rijndael) is still unbroken, no cracking is possible.  Luckily, so is the RSA cipher this site's SSL certificate uses to encrypt communications.  Sure, your ISP can see you exchanging packets with the site, but they can't even read your handle. 

Zen's absolutely right.  The technology is good, but it falls apart in practice.  Anyone who uses TOR has surely noticed that an update is required damn near daily and while software can be fixed, no updates can patch the user.  The FBI claims they tracked the location of the server through its use of an unencrypted third party CAPTCHA system:

http://krebsonsecuri...-in-fbis-story/

I know a thing or two about 'puters, but I know shit compared to these people and I wouldn't make such a stupid mistake were I trying to hide a server.  Or maybe I would.  Perhaps it was a lapse of judgement, or perhaps the FBI busted 'em illegally.  Regardless, the best laid plans... 

TOR's better than nothing and cheaper than a VPN and I'm all in for anything that makes mass data raking more difficult, but it's all hanging out in the open for anyone who really wants it as far as I'm concerned - 4096-bit encryption through 7 proxies, good for you, you're using the same handle you use over at the hot rod forums you visit unprotected.  There doesn't always need to be a hole in the system, enough people have holes in their heads.  The only guaranteed anonymity is keeping your damn trap shut. 

After all, the Internet was originally sponsored by the DoD via ARPA.  :tongue: 

Anyway, figured the forums would have been reborn by now, swung by to have a look. 

Looking very slick, there, very slick!  Glad to see it finally worked out!

• Amanita Versicula likes this

#14 Ares

Ares

Mycotopiate

• Site Administrator
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:02 PM

I cannot imagine any internet provider "blocking" this site. Unless you're actually IN Russia, in which case it's possible? Still, we have other members from all over the world and have not been aware of any specific ISP bans. I doubled checked and *our* server hasn't blocked you sooo... odd.

Regardless, you can always use a VPN or Proxy service to access the site. Google is your friend, there are also threads here where people can help with this issue once you're past the probationary period.

Hope this helps!

Probably blocked in China :)

#15 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:51 PM

It is blocked in China. Or at least it was when i was there in 2008. Doubt they would have allowed access since then.

#16 ShadyWays

ShadyWays

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:39 PM

I'm back after a five year hiatus and grateful that Hippie3's vision is still in full force!  Great job to all who serve! :biggrin:

• invisibilitysyndrome, catattack and Amanita Versicula like this

#17 Bruce Suillus

Bruce Suillus

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:30 AM

I think I may have signed up before but never got approval to post, fingers crossed. :biggrin:

#18 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:45 PM

it's great to be here.  it looks like a most informative site and one that i hope to make a regular stop on my cyber travels.....

• Zen_ and Amanita Versicula like this

#19 newbrunswicker

newbrunswicker

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for the reminder / welcome back to the group. I signed up a long time ago and have just begun growing some different edibles to see how our climate will tolerate them.......Busy making spawn and insulating a growroom to handle a Canadian winter. Will be checking in frequently now - Nice job on the new platform.! 

• Amanita Versicula likes this

#20 Amanita Versicula

Amanita Versicula

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 96 posts

Donator

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:09 PM

I'm back after a five year hiatus and grateful that Hippie3's vision is still in full force!  Great job to all who serve! :biggrin:

GREETINGS my FRIEND(S)

PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS AS "SPECIFIC TO YOU" or anyone "specifically"

just my thoughts~

as i AM no one here other than someone else~who APPRECIATES ALL THE INFO & PERSONAL "GUIDANCE" WHEN REQUESTED....

AS I DO FEEL (and don't know your situation) AND A "POST" to the GENERAL POPULATION OF MYCOTOPIA~

BUT"MY THOUGHTS/FEELINGS/EXPERIENCES

~HERE~are one that~ and I REALLY DO FEEL~BUT A >>>>>VERY UNSOLICITED<<<<< "FEELING" {LIKE NO ONE "ASKED" ME TO SAY} THIS+

which has "little to do w/the insignia of V.I.P"

THAT THOSE WHOM USE THIS SITE~AND FIND "ALL THEY ARE LOOKING FOR" & OR RECEIVING ANSWERS TO THEIR QUESTIONS & GUIDANCE

should really DONATE~ONLY BECAUSE IT TAKES THAT EVIL SHIT M-O-N-E-Y

~TO KEEP THIS SITE UP & RUNNING~though i DON'T KNOW THE COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH SUCH

I MUST "ASSUME" there IS more to the UPKEEP THAN the "FEW SPONSORS HERE"

AS I SURELY DO NOT WANT TO CREATE ENEMIES OR OVER-STEP "MY BOUNDARIES"

but just "think"THOSE IN "PRAISE" OR NEED OF HELP~

SHOULD DONATE WHAT THEY CAN~

as we all seem to LIKE OUR DRUGS~DON'T "WE"???

AND HAVE THE FUNDS FOR THAT~i dunno~

AND NOT DIRECTED TO ONE MEMBER ONLY PLEASE~do not think i am "soliciting anyone in particular"

JUST I "FEEL" WE ALSO HAVE AN OBLIGATION to HELP & FUNDS ARE THE WAY TO KEEP THIS SITE FREE+

IRONY? PERHAPS~~~~BUT THE NATURE OF SOCIETY ~~WHICH I DIDN'T CREATE~

AND I PROMISE THE VERY LAST TIME I MAKE "PLEAS" FOR DONATION ~WHICH ARE NOT

~well are for ME~AS I NEED THIS SITE>>>FOR ITS KNOWLEDGE;

ITS GUIDANCE AND SOCIALIZATION~         AS "WE" MUST STAY UNITED  ☮

AND "SHOW" THE WORLD A IMPROVED "VIEW" OF CONNECTION OF SOULS & COSMIC CONSCIENTIOUSNESS~

SO PLEASE NEW MEMBERS~RETURNING MEMBERS~EVERYONE "USING THIS SITE"

PLEASE H-E-L-P to KEEP IT ALIVE+++

THANKS FOR LISTENING/READING & NOW )-just my opinion+❤

I BID YOU ALL A PLEASANT TRIP~with HEALTH & HONOR & GIVING & RECEIVING~

as "OUR" PHILOSOPHY~with Gratitude~   

/{*;*}\y PeAcE™only    ☮☮☮✌✌✌

Edited by Amanita Versicula, 15 August 2016 - 03:25 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!