#1 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,331 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

Good day all. Here where i reside the local apple orchard released their first juicings of the season. Ive never pressed my own however this is as close as im gonna get to fresh juice.

started with a og of .061 and ending up at .099..some brown and cane sugar was added to get the og up to .061 as the juice was 20 points lower.

this wine was racked after 4 days. fermentation stopped or mostly stopped as im sure some sugars are residual. no starter was prepared just champagne yeast was used after rehydrated.  

racked again 3 days later and is now sitting still at a constant 73 degrees. no pectin enzyme was used just waitin for the remaining yeast to drop out and possibly for it to clear up a bit however it has maintained its golden amber color.

plans are to bottle and carbonate to create a sparkling apple wine.  est alc % is at 8.1 or so as i've not done another reading nor an accurate temp was taken at time of sg investigation.....cheers and beers.....

#2 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,103 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

mmmm wheres mine? love my apples! already made apple pies, butter and jam! :tongue:

#3 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,331 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

[quote name="Mrs.Hippie3" post="1132594" timestamp="1383234665"]mmmm wheres mine? love my apples! already made apple pies, butter and jam! :tongue:[/quot

Well hell you can have some we just gotta play the waiting game now...]
  • Mrs.Hippie3 likes this

#4 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,321 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

I love it!! Working on some Prickly Pear wine myself as we speak.  Magenta and beautiful. Film at 11

• Mrs.Hippie3 and invisibilitysyndrome like this

#5 director of sound

director of sound

every thing is exactally the way it was aways suppose to be!

• OG VIP
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

I did nearly the same but added 1lb light crystal malt (powder) per a gallon of juice plus a pound of raspberries to get it to OG 1.061 with lalvin K-1116 and D-47 yeast, fermented out in about 2 weeks, turned out a little tart but the tannins from the raspberry seeds worked with that. Just racked it off the lees a few days ago and used the lees to start a ginger beer. Hope it turns out good!
  • invisibilitysyndrome likes this

#6 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,331 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

prickly pear sounds awesome...".I did nearly the same but added 1 lb light crystal malt (powder) per a gallon of juice "   i think im gonna go w malt next time the brown sugar was an addition this time around still considering to throw in a piece of cinnamon fer a day or so before i bottle.....and good luck to yall as well

#7 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,103 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:49 PM

I love it!! Working on some Prickly Pear wine myself as we speak.  Magenta and beautiful. Film at 11

mmm yeah ill try some of that too thank you!! :laugh:

#8 Linux

Linux

Forever a Student

• Expired Member
  • 430 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

My girlfriends father makes his own wine, one of my favorites so far was his peach wine!

Anyone have some suggestions I could send his way as to new flavors? :)

Edited by Linux, 01 November 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#9 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,331 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

My girlfriends father makes his own wine, one of my favorites so far was his peach wine!

Anyone have some suggestions I could send his way as to new flavors? :)

wish i did this wine thing is new for me. Have some good local cider fresh aside from that i tried it w oranges but its too much like prison hooch. my self im a bit of a novice. not gonna win any awards any time soon....

• Linux likes this

#10 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,089 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:50 AM

The apple and chokecherry turned out beautiful here but the peach there is some issue with it way too there is a strong flavor there .... we r letting it sit till at least Christmas b4 we have another taste of it ....

#11 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,331 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

The apple and chokecherry turned out beautiful here but the peach there is some issue with it way too there is a strong flavor there .... we r letting it sit till at least Christmas b4 we have another taste of it ....

i gotta look up choke cherry...the more i read on wine making the more i learn ..obviously.... seems that the ph has alot to do w taste and such.. 

so far ive only done hydro readings add sugar pitch yeast. this new batch above and another i put down are experiments.....like the brown sugar and in the new one ive put 2 lb of fresh honey from the same apple orchard that i get the cider from....ive yet to use pectin enzyme however ive used the yeast nutrient....alot of apple wine recipes call for acid blends and such..

ive a few that call for the use of a bucket with a towel on top and stir daily for the primary ferment then secondary with and air lock...its all a mytery as to why 

i dont have any one to ask on hand so i just try new things as i go....so far so good....

peach sounds good too hope yers mellows out......cheers

#12 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,089 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

Choke cherry on its own can be strong taste too ... we mellowed ours out with blackberries for the one batch and pin cherry's and blueberries for the first batch which hummm couldnt wait it was sooo goood :) lol

we r not very fancy with ours just guessing on how much sugar to add and that's all we add well the yeast too ...no fancy tools yet but I have plans :) I love using the berries in the area we only get pin and choke cherry but my friend really wants to try a sweet cherry wine ... I find the more u make the more u wanna try and make like collecting all the flavors :) trying them all out ;)

Oh the Apple was crab apple we waited for the 1st frost to sweeten up the apples we added a few choke cherries to get it going cause for some reason it didnt want to start fermenting right away ... it helped tho turned out very yummy :)

#13 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

When I was out in the woods about a week ago, I noticed a persimmon tree hanging full of ripe fruit.  Has anyone made persimmon wine?

• wildedibles likes this

#14 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,331 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:12 AM

When I was out in the woods about a week ago, I noticed a persimmon tree hanging full of ripe fruit.  Has anyone made persimmon wine?

i spose it shouldnt be much diff then apple....

they look similar in that  it probly takes as many to make juice....

do you have a press of any kind??

#15 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,331 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:18 AM

Choke cherry on its own can be strong taste too ... we mellowed ours out with blackberries for the one batch and pin cherry's and blueberries for the first batch which hummm couldnt wait it was sooo goood :) lol

we r not very fancy with ours just guessing on how much sugar to add and that's all we add well the yeast too ...no fancy tools yet but I have plans :) I love using the berries in the area we only get pin and choke cherry but my friend really wants to try a sweet cherry wine ... I find the more u make the more u wanna try and make like collecting all the flavors :) trying them all out ;)

Oh the Apple was crab apple we waited for the 1st frost to sweeten up the apples we added a few choke cherries to get it going cause for some reason it didnt want to start fermenting right away ... it helped tho turned out very yummy :)

right on...i feel ya on wanting to try em all

just moved here ive seen berries but i gotta ask some locals and find out where some others are..

muscadines grow here....never made wine w em but im told its good.....

just checked on the new batch of apple wine gravity isnt down far enough to have stopped fermenting but im gonna rack it to the secondary today..tasted it while i had some out and the wild honey deff adds a twist at the end.. still a bit like rotting apples in the beginning but it should mellow out 

ive read the ph can effect the ferment process maby the chokes helped  out in that department....

mostly i make mine for me as most people i find are a bit picky in what they will drink not to say its bad but this is a big beer town too so most adventurous peps are more beer familiar......cheers 

Edited by invisibilitysyndrome, 10 November 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#16 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

No, I don't have a press.  I've never made wine before, I just thought about it when I saw the persimmons. 

#17 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,331 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

No, I don't have a press.  I've never made wine before, I just thought about it when I saw the persimmons. 

wish i did too...

ive seen apple recipes that say you can crush em and ferment in an open bucket  for a few days rack to secondary  and them add water sugar etc...

probly a drill and a paint stir attachment would work specially if they are soft...if ya do something with the persimmons lemme know im curious how it comes out..be ez

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!