• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 throwmeaway7

throwmeaway7

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:35 PM

NOTE: Click the images to make them large enough to easily see distinguishing features. If there was an easy way for me to do that here, believe me, I would have. As it is all images are stored at Mycotopia with larger copies linked to offsite. If you are admin and you can fix this, go for it, but it gave me a huge fucking headache.

Wild carrot (Daucus carota) is a worthwhile plant to forage. The root and flower stem are both edible (and delicious). It's available year-round with a wide distribution throughout the country. It's even easy to ID in the winter, with a distinct flower that dries up and sticks around, poking up through the snow. When it's in flower you can spot it from a distance and it's quick to gather in bulk.

Poison hemlock (Conium maculatum) is a goddam impostor. The leaves, flower, and root all bear a passing resemblance to wild carrot. It smells a little like wild carrot. The stupid, deadly root even tastes a little like carrot. The alkaloids are concentrated in the root in sufficient quantities to easily kill, and I wouldn't eat the stem either.

The safest way to tell these two apart is to buy the book Nature's Garden by Samuel Thayer. The pictures in this post won't be as good as Thayer's. I'm not as smart or experienced as him. I am ripping off the table below wholesale (with permission) and he's the expert. I really urge you guys to buy it if you're interested in harvesting wild carrot, but I'm going to do my best.

Without even further ado, here is a bigass chart that will hopefully prevent you from doing a historical reenactment of Socrates' execution.

chart.png

Note: “This chart lists some distinguishing features of wild carrot and poison hemlock, beginning with those that are easiest to observe and most consistent and reliable. Note that my description of the carrot leaflet is different from that found in most plant manuals: most botanists consider each of the lobes to be leaflets, thus often describing the leaflets as linear. Viewing the leaf, I find this to be a flawed interpretation of its’ form; the lobes are narrow but only rarely divided from each other.” -- Samuel Thayer, Nature’s Garden pg. 360

This chart may be copied and distributed for educational purposes, but not for sale

I think that at this point I should make something clear - I’m not that bright. Thayer does a great job explaining things in general but when I start seeing multiple references to rachis and petioles I sweat and try to remember boring details from high school biology classes. So I did my research and tried my best to break down some of the more technical aspects of the chart with photos and short descriptions. I’m splitting the differences into three key groups based on plant structures. None of this should take the place of the chart, and none of it is as good as the photos in the book.

The Stem

1.png

Hairy green carrot stems can be peeled and eaten.

2.png

Smooth hemlock stems, spotted and streaked with purple, have the emotional capacity for hatred.

3.png

In addition to being smooth, the stems of poison hemlock will leave a residue on your finger when you rub it. It looks about like this.

The Leaves

To begin with, here are a few confusing plant terms!

4.png

A wild carrot has a solid, u-shaped petiole and rachis while the poison hemlock is hollow and forms an O. People have actually died making whistles and straws from dry hemlock according to some story by some guy on the internet.

5.png

Carrot leaves are irregularly lobed

6.png

Compare that to the regular, deeply lobed leaflets of poison hemlock.

The Flowers

More terminology!

7.png

We’re not worried about the individual flowers so much as the bracts, which are little specialized leaf-like structures, and the umbel, which is a type of inflorescence (Science talk for group of flowers)

8.png

Wild carrot has bracts nearly as wide as the flower.

9.png

The small bracts of poison hemlock ain’t no bigger than a beetlebug.

10.png

The umbels of wild carrot tend to be more dense and there aren’t as many on the plant. I chose this photo because you can see other identifying features as well.

11.png

While the umbels of poison hemlock are more sparse and there are a lot more of them.

12.png

Immature carrot umbels and old, dry ones take on a shape similar to a bird’s nest, while poison hemlock flowers remain similar at all stages of development.

Wild carrot really is pretty safe to gather as long as you make sure to get a positive ID and if you’re at all in doubt leave it in the field. If someone needs help with a positive ID please don’t just take pictures of the root, concentrate on the three areas I mentioned above.

Thus concludes most everything that I have to say about wild carrot and poison hemlock. I did pretty good I think, with only one mention of Socrates.

Edited by throwmeaway7, 07 November 2013 - 10:36 PM.

• teesus and wildedibles like this

#2 Linux

Linux

Forever a Student

• Expired Member
  • 430 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

Thanks for the post, however even though I'm a complete novice I could tell the two apart just by looking at them. (thanks to this guide)

It doesn't appear too difficult to differentiate the two, any idea where people go wrong? o.o

• wildedibles likes this

#3 throwmeaway7

throwmeaway7

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

Most of the deaths I've read about are due to gathering large amounts for wild carrot stew (yum) with one or two hemlock roots sneaking in. There is overlap between the ranges of the two plants.

And hemlock is very, very, very poisonous.   

But you're right. With the right guide they're easy to tell apart.

• wildedibles and Linux like this

#4 director of sound

director of sound

every thing is exactally the way it was aways suppose to be!

• OG VIP
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:27 PM

So queen anne's lace is wild carrot!? I could literally harvest tons of it where im from, use to nibble on the stems when i was a kid, never ate the roots though. Use to make a hunters/forrage soup with squirrel, queen anne's lace greens (and maybe a few seeds for extra flavor) wild celery, pig nuts/potatoes, wild oats, wild dock(or plantian), burdock root, ramps, wild garlic and salt & pepper to impress friends while camping that didnt belive i could forrage all the ingredients needed to make a hearty stew in the wild... its really good with rabbit too. Next time i make it ill have to toss in some roots too!

Edited by director of sound, 16 December 2013 - 11:28 PM.

• wildedibles likes this

#5 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

you didn't have to mention the rabbit ----- you had me at pig nuts :blush:

good thread DOS.

Edited by pharmer, 17 December 2013 - 11:11 AM.

• Shadowlord likes this

#6 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:22 AM

Yes great thread :)

I have been using the seeds a few like 10-15 in a bit of caned food for cats with worms it is working great better than other stuff and not harmful ...females who might be pregnant stay way from the seeds cause they can stimulate contractions I read... ? best to avoid with pregnant cats not sure on how many seeds are dangerous for pregnancy ?

but no issues making the animal sick not much is needed I have had that dose every month for 4 months with this one cat and cant see any worms anymore which is good u used to see them all the time

So that be 10-15 seeds in wet cat food once a month 4 months it is cleared up ...from experience the pet food store stuff the worms never go away cycles of away and back and once a month treatment for ever

same goes with the vet stuff and this medication can hurt cats it can be dangerous if giving too much

The periods of worms away is way longer periods

now this last one its been almost a month since the last dose and still nothing by now he would have had lots again ;)

The seeds are hairy and tuff fibrous maybe passes right threw the digestive tract undigested and thus scrapes the intestines scrubbing them taking things out like worms

but I also read that it has a thing that kills worms or paralyzes them so they would let go and pass out

Sorry I will work on what I was reading I kinda forgot so I will look it up and add a link or copy out a reference for this claim

Edited by wildedibles, 26 December 2013 - 04:30 AM.

• Juthro likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!