• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

I am on an extended visit in australia with family and have been tossed into the local burning man community to satisfy my social needs. I have immediately generated quite an interest in mycology and have agreed to basically teach a class to several (more every time i turn around) interested parties. I will cover the PF tek, bulk methods and basic lab technique including cloning and strain isolation, probably using edibles as a template as no one has prints that i know of. No big deal, burners are largely the intellectual debauched sort, and this group is mostly comprised of computer geeks, electronic music DJs, engineers and PhDs. I have no fear at all that any of them will be able to make the jump to 'the good stuff' using the knowledge that i'll be teaching them.

The problem is that i'm a stranger in a strange land and gathering supplies here seems kind of daunting. Very VERY little corn is grown here, which is pretty  :ohmy: for an american like me. Popcorn and WBS are usually my grains of choice, but popcorn is out and WBS in any quantity costs your first born child. :deadhorse:  In fact, everything is incredibly expensive here. I'm still reeling a bit from sticker shock, even though i've been here for extended periods before. I'm a celiac so i can't really come into contact with wheat, barley or rye, so that's not leaving me a lot to work with here. I found oat groats (whole grain, unprocessed oats) in the health food store that was somewhat reasonably priced and that seems like it would be comparable to other grains, but i'm not 100% sure.

Suggestions appreciated!

#2 mycowarrier

mycowarrier

former blockhead

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,559 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

Good to see ya back around Bev!

well is brown rice,coir,ground corncob(used as pet bedding and sold in pet and dept stores) available at a reasonable cost. 

Any stables with horses or cows or straw bails around?

Oh and used coffee grinds are free for the asking just about everywhere lol.

• TastyBeverage likes this

#3 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

I like the sound of what you're doing.

Do your oat groats look like what is pictured closest to the bottom?

800px-Hafergruetze.JPG

#4 fabrique

fabrique

Storyteller

• Expired Member
  • 852 posts

Donator

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

brown rice!

many chinese in australia, rice shouldnt be a problem 

#5 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

I like the sound of what you're doing.

Do your oat groats look like what is pictured closest to the bottom?

Yep, that's them!

I've tried brown rice in the past, but have had some contam issue since it's quite rich. Maybe it would do better if i mixed some white rice in? Or maybe it would do better cause i have more experience now, who knows. heheh

I was in a pet store yesterday and i swear i couldn't find any litter or bedding at all. In a lot of ways, Oz totally confounds me.

#6 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

Oops, i stuck this thread in the wrong place. Could i get a move, pretty please?  :blush:

#7 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,282 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

Here is a good Aussie site, with a lot of cool folks.

http://www.shaman-au...dex.php?act=idx

#8 ThirdEyeOpen

ThirdEyeOpen

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 62 posts

Donator

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

I used whole brown rice almost exclusively in the past. never really had any problems. just go by what it says on the back for water minus a half a cup, cook as normal. load jars and pressure cook.  pack it in real loosely. the grains will smooche together really easy and choke out your culture. the pitfall to this is you can't shake your jars to spread the culture although if they act like they might stall a couple stiff wacks on something that won't break your jar may give it some vigor. 

• fabrique likes this

#9 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

Hm, i didn't precook the rice before PC'ing. I'll give that a shot. I had it in mycobags so shaking/clumping wasn't an issue, but it still kept stalling out.

Cue-- I'll check that site out, thanks!

#10 ThirdEyeOpen

ThirdEyeOpen

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 62 posts

Donator

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

I dunno where the write up is anymore if it even exists but i do believe its called the 9er tek or something like that

#11 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:58 PM

I really need to dive back into the archives and spend some time reading. I didn't realize how rusty i am at mycology. Been surrounded by cactus and cannabis for the last year and a half... mycology almost seems foreign now.

:confused:

At least my lab technique is still stellar.  :thumbs_up:  You never grow out of being a scientist!

#12 ThirdEyeOpen

ThirdEyeOpen

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 62 posts

Donator

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

mycotopia.net/archives/discus/messages/5/3394.html?1005275414

• Sickmanlives likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!