• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• Expired Member
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

There is a friend with an associate in the eastern park of the country who is making incredibly dank candies. Apparently, the fella making these things is purging the chloraphyll from the butter/oil he is making these things with. I was hoping to learn a little more about this. I have made my share of butter but this is the first I have heard of purging the chloraphyll, which I am told makes it easier for the body to breakdown/digest/absorb the THC in the butter/oil. Choraphyll, aparently, a barrier between the body and its digestive abilities and the THC. From what i gathered from the conversastion, removing the Chloraphyll fromt he butter makes the butter/oil exponentially stronger. Can anyone tell me a little more about this or direct me to an appropriate thread?

Would this work similarly with hash? Are there ways to purify bubble or oil to remove residual chloraphyll?

By my estimation, the methods for extracting the THC when making hash would inherently seperate the THC from the chloraphyl either by not allowing it to pass through the screen when using bubble bags or doing dry or by the chloraphyll being left behind with the plant material when using a solvent to sepearte the THC from the plant material when making oil... I just wanna clarify and be sure there is not residula choraphyll or other impurities that I could be purging from the finished product.

PJ

#2 JJ800M

JJ800M

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:17 PM

I don't know his method so i can't speculate about it.

But if i wanted some chrorophyll-free oil/butter, then i would just make some BHO using some good material.

What i usually makes that way is honey-colored and should therefor be pretty free from it.

Its great for edibles too - it it damn strong and you can hardly taste it so it makes for some killer-cookies! :) 

#3 Blueringer

Blueringer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Not sure how one would "purge" their butter of chlorophyll. Maybe he is refering to when you make your butter using water and oil/butter instead of just oil/butter? I know when you do this your butter is much lighter in color because chlorophyll is more soluable in water and most gets left in the water after seperating.

These were actually all coconut oil but either way the colors are very similar wether you use butter or coconut oil. I strongly recomend cocnut oil over butter for so many reasons but thats a whole other cup of tea. :tongue:

This was a pure coconut oil extraction no water used, noticed how "green" it is.  

066.JPG

Then here is a coconut oil extraction with water, so much lighter "green".

062.JPG

Then there is always the infusion of concentrates that result in 0 or very little chlorophyl in the budder.

Coconut oil with a concentrate infusion, super pretty looking! :wub:

057.JPG

Personaly the only difference I have noticed with the budders that have larger amounts of chlorophyll in them is that they can tend to give people more gass.farting-in-group-smiley-emoticon.gif

Maybe someone else will chime in and we can both learn something new today! :biggrin:

#4 Elf Salvation

Elf Salvation

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 723 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

Boiling the butter/ oil/ hash with water is the way to go. I made some alcohol extract of a lot of leaves once and got most the chlorophyl out by boiling it in some water. in this case oil dropped to the bottom of the container so it was easy to pour off the water.  Butter should be on top of water i imagine, Of course cooling butter water in fridge will solidify butter making removal of water easy. Experimentation with different ph might give better or worse result, I am thinking high ph would remove actives from oil/butter so probably not the way to go, a little lemon juice might be good to get the green out.

I get high just looking at bluringers coconut bud oil.  

Edited by Elf Salvation, 11 December 2013 - 07:00 PM.

#5 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,094 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

When making budder it is important to only leave the plant material in the solution for a short amount of time. I usually remove it within a few minutes as the THC is almost instantly dissolved in the hot butter or oil, and the longer you leave it in the oil the greener it will be. If you remove the plant material in 5 minutes or so you will have very little chlorophyll in the solution and no purging is necessary.

Some schools of thought say to simmer this for hours. Ugh! That results in nasty ass budder in my opinion and is no more potent than it would have been if removed soon after putting it in.

When making bubblehash, use a wooden spoon or spatula and only stir for 5 minutes or so. This will yield you a much better quality product with less plant material in the hash. You can always do a second and even a third wash, keeping the finished product separated so that you will have different levels of purity.

The best bubble I make comes from fresh frozen trim made from green leaves that were trimmed right after harvest and not dried or cut up. Much more pure product.

Peace...

Edited by Coopdog, 11 December 2013 - 08:07 PM.

• mate0x likes this

#6 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

People pretty much hit it on the head already, use water.

Much like JJ8, I normally make edibles with hash or hash oil; It's easier to dose accurately.

Blueringer, those don't look green at all...the water washed one just looks cleaner. I would love to try some of that on my morning toast :)

Coop, I agree less is more - it does dissolve quickly. I find it takes longer than 30 minutes to max out a batch of butter from green material, never mind just 5 minutes . I guess it would depend on the volumes of liquids and the amount of plant material, are you running small batches?

Edited by mate0x, 11 December 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#7 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,094 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

Used to do fairly good size batches, I just very much dislike the green flavor of most folks budder. I have tried it longer also and I find very little is lost taking it out sooner. I heat the water and butter or oil first then put in the plant material, then pour it thru a strainer about 5-10 minutes later at the most.

I would rather have it taste better than trying to get every little bit of THC, but honestly I don't think much was lost from my experience.

Peace...

Edited by Coopdog, 11 December 2013 - 09:25 PM.

#8 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:37 AM

Cool I will have to try a super fast one again, usually I get people telling me 30-60 minutes isn't enough...weird to be on the other side of the discussion. It makes perfect sense though, it only takes minutes to dissolve hash into warm butter.

Edited by mate0x, 12 December 2013 - 06:41 AM.

#9 hopethishelps

hopethishelps

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 358 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

I always thought the green made it more like St Paddy's day :)

I will be glad to volunteer to let you test the chlorophyll question on me for as long as you like  :wink:  

#10 leimon

leimon

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:07 PM

Maybe this isn't related to this topic of chlorophyll, but I have no experience with weed and I need some clarification.

I've heard it postulated that if you smoke it, it's easier to control dosage. Before I get into an argument where people irrationally argue for their side, I just want to know whether the THC is evenly distributed or if it's possible that one brownie might contain too much and the other too little. Is it possible someone didn't mix the butter well enough, or does the THC localize somewhat in the fat? How does that work?

Anyway- thanks for reading this, I hope someone has some experience or knowledge to share.

#11 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• Expired Member
  • 159 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Thanks for the replies!! The more I think about it, they are most likely making it from concentrates to avoid the chloraphyl... I will have to inquire next tim I see him.

Thanks again!

PJ

Edited by PJammer24, 16 December 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#12 Blueringer

Blueringer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:39 PM

Maybe this isn't related to this topic of chlorophyll, but I have no experience with weed and I need some clarification.

I've heard it postulated that if you smoke it, it's easier to control dosage. Before I get into an argument where people irrationally argue for their side, I just want to know whether the THC is evenly distributed or if it's possible that one brownie might contain too much and the other too little. Is it possible someone didn't mix the butter well enough, or does the THC localize somewhat in the fat? How does that work?

Anyway- thanks for reading this, I hope someone has some experience or knowledge to share.

This goes for most but not all...there are exceptions to the fellow juggernauts out there!! rasta.gif

Its easier to dose when smoking because you can stop taking tokes when you feel right. Each toke has dramaticaly less thc in it than most edibles. Smoking it, is pretty much an instant come up...with a slight delay (being only minutes) sometimes. Its pretty easy to know when to say when, well for some people anyhow :tongue:

Eating it means you have to digest it for it to get into the system...this can take anywhere from 30-60 min to start and not peaking until 1-2 hours depending on the persons metabolism. Unless the said edibles have been tested there is no way to know how much is in one. So you eat one and wait 30 mins not much happens you decide they are weak and have another....30 min later your laid out on the couch wondering whatelse may be in these!! 

Eating it usually last longer as well. Most edibles tend to have higher CBD levels than that is consumed when smoking, wich also attribute to the tiredness people develope sometimes when eating edibles IMO/IME.

#13 leimon

leimon

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:47 PM

This goes for most but not all...there are exceptions to the fellow juggernauts out there!! attachicon.gifrasta.gif

Its easier to dose when smoking because you can stop taking tokes when you feel right. Each toke has dramaticaly less thc in it than most edibles. Smoking it, is pretty much an instant come up...with a slight delay (being only minutes) sometimes. Its pretty easy to know when to say when, well for some people anyhow :tongue:

Eating it means you have to digest it for it to get into the system...this can take anywhere from 30-60 min to start and not peaking until 1-2 hours depending on the persons metabolism. Unless the said edibles have been tested there is no way to know how much is in one. So you eat one and wait 30 mins not much happens you decide they are weak and have another....30 min later your laid out on the couch wondering whatelse may be in these!! 

Eating it usually last longer as well. Most edibles tend to have higher CBD levels than that is consumed when smoking, wich also attribute to the tiredness people develope sometimes when eating edibles IMO/IME.

So it's not necessairily about one brownie having more than another- it's just that it's difficult to tell (without past experiences with a recipe, for example) how strong an edible is- and taking more can be risky because of potential overdose (due to the late onset of affects).

Thanks for help, Blueringer!

• mate0x likes this

#14 Blueringer

Blueringer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

Thats usually the case. :biggrin:

You can't OD though...you may eat more than you can personally handle but you really aren't going to OD on any amount of herb, I assure you! 

You will just wake up a couple hours later!! :biggrin:

#15 leimon

leimon

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:23 PM

Thats usually the case. :biggrin:

You can't OD though...you may eat more than you can personally handle but you really aren't going to OD on any amount of herb, I assure you! 

You will just wake up a couple hours later!! :biggrin:

Oh- by overdose, I mean to dose too much. I guess OD is meant to take a lethal dose with most people in the context of illegal (or "hard") drugs, but in reading so much the use of the word overdose tends to just mean taking amounts that... well cause problems no matter the preparation.

Nicotine and caffeine are poisonous, though. Nicotine is so quickly abosrbed through the skin that I could kill you by misting  it onto you. I think a gram will pretty much kill anything.

#16 hopethishelps

hopethishelps

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 358 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:04 PM

"...Nicotine is so quickly abosrbed through the skin that I could kill you by misting  it onto you. I think a gram will pretty much kill anything."

And it is not only legal but heavily subsidized.

Something wrong with that picture  :deadhorse:

Edited by hopethishelps, 16 December 2013 - 09:07 PM.

• leimon likes this

#17 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

Just for clarity, because of the recent posts; when I mentioned above that "it is easier to dose" I was comparing edibles made directly from plant material vs extracting the essential oils first and using them to dose the edibles.

If you mix the batch well enough, it should distribute evenly. What you should watch out for is making cookies with chips or candy in them. Sometimes you get ones with a more chips and less dough.... may leave you thinking hey not so bad... then you eat a really doughy one the next day and get your ass kicked :D

#18 leimon

leimon

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

That's a good thing to note- thanks Mate0x.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!