• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shroomerson

shroomerson

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:20 AM

I took my cakes out today and soaked them for 7 hours because they are still pretty moist.  I noticed this blue color after they dunked?  it looks like bruising to me but i'm no expert....please let me know what you think!  Both cakes came out of the dunk like this.IMG_5791.jpg IMG_9920.jpg

#2 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:25 AM

Bruising... have been handling them as you are doing in the pic? Holding cakes with a bare hand is a large contam invitation, btw. How have your temps been, anything over 85f?

#3 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:27 AM

"Have you been handling them", as in when you did the dunk...they look 'abused, due to handling.

#4 shroomerson

shroomerson

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:37 AM

"Have you been handling them", as in when you did the dunk...they look 'abused, due to handling.

I hardly even touched them washed my hands very well with antibacterial soap. I cleared off the dry verm and dumped them straight into plastic baggies to dunk. I touched them only to put them in the fruiting chamber when I took the photo. But I'm glad it's not a contam guess I need to use gloves and be more careful my temps may have gotten a bit warm a time or too when I was incubating but I have the temp between 75 and 80 now.

Edited by shroomerson, 13 December 2013 - 01:39 AM.

#5 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:59 AM

I bet you'll be fine. Just try to avoid touching the cakes whenever possible... Good luck. Looking forward to fruit pics.

#6 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:56 AM

If you are color blind like me you always do the Q-tip test. Wipe a Q-tip across the suspected area; if the color comes off onto the swab then its mold; if not then its bruising.

#7 KaptinKulture

KaptinKulture

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:13 PM

You look good ton go.  Big ups on the Q-tip test Cue it saves a a lot of worry in long run.  

#8 Mush Zombie

Mush Zombie

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

Qtip test is not 100% valid. oxidized psilocin (blueish discoloration) can transfer to the qtip easily. 

the good news is that discoloration is just brusing

Edited by Mush Zombie, 13 December 2013 - 04:42 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!