• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mason420

mason420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:58 AM

I bought a brick of 'Coco-Chip Orchid Medium' at the local garden shop to use for casing. Is this the right stuff? From a website description of the exact same product:

"This compressed brick expands 4 times to make over a gallon of orchid growing medium. Coco-chip orchid Medium is like our coco-fiber but in a 'chunky' form for great orchid growing. It can also be used with out coco-fiber to make your own custom mix. Coco-chip orchid medium is made entirely from natural coconut husks, is 100% organic, biodegradable from a renewable resource (coconuts). Coco-chips are better than bark for water and nutrient retention and provides much needed air circulation for your beautiful orchids."

Anyone know if this will work just as well in the 60/40 casing method, or should I take it back and try to find 'actual' coir?

(And is it 60% verm, 40% coir, or the other way around?)

Attached Thumbnails

• orchidcocomedium1.jpg

#2 nomoreusmc

nomoreusmc

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:10 AM

alot of times stuff like that has fungiside sprayed on it, look and see if it's on the label.

#3 mason420

mason420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:28 PM

I didn't see anything on the label when i bought it to indicate it had been treated in any way. It does say 100% organic.

#4 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:39 PM

It's proly just fine...I have heard of some coir products that are actually innoculated with Trichoderma mold... But a good pasteurization should take care of any addatives...

#5 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:05 PM

not coir. sorry. :(

it may work OK in a bulk substrate compost/mix,
but coco chips are not an alternative to coir.
its sold as a medium for orchids and may contain charcoal.
its simply not the right thing. you want coco-coir pith
try the pet store (Eco-Earth brand reptile bedding). good luck.

#6 mason420

mason420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:23 AM

try the pet store (Eco-Earth brand reptile bedding). good luck.

Thanks for that tip, the Petsmart next to where I work carries that. Last time I went in there it was to buy a hygrometer and the clerk asked me "So you have reptiles?"

I just said "something like that". :eusa_liar

#7 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:49 PM

stay clear of purchasing coir from hydroponic stores, 90% of the time its got trichoderma already innoculated into it. Definately check your local pet store though, they come in small bricks that expand when water is added. GL

#8 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:09 PM

Thanx for correcting my oversight Cap ...Sometimes i see what i wanna see....:special:

#9 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:59 PM

Definately check your local pet store though, they come in small bricks that expand when water is added. GL

It usualy sold as reptile bedding btw

#10 mason420

mason420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:48 PM

yeah I got the reptile bedding and am using it for the 60/40 casing. Can I put these coco chips to good use? Perhaps as part of a substrate for some woodlovers (I have reshi, shiitake, and lions mane)?

#11 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:09 PM

grow smokes! seriuosly yes you can use them on edibles or bulk substrate compost/mix.

siam

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!