http://www.mellowgol...Processing.html

#22 beardedlady

beardedlady

Documented Deemster

• Expired Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:01 PM

From http://www.mellowgol...Processing.html

Thanks waylit, I didn't realize it was also listed at the bottom of the page as a related post.

This is very interesting, and seemingly very easy. Similiar to all of the other alkaloid extractions.

#23 ExtraKryspi

ExtraKryspi

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:44 PM

So would it be easier/preferable to start with a ground leaf powder, or whole leaf?

The more surface area the better.

Here's the link for a more detailed explanation of the process:
http://www.erowid.or...production.html

#24 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:11 PM

i love this thread..:)

#25 beardedlady

beardedlady

Documented Deemster

• Expired Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:42 PM

Me too.

#26 TheAngryGolfer

TheAngryGolfer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 379 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:17 AM

Thanks waylit, I didn't realize it was also listed at the bottom of the page as a related post.

This is very interesting, and seemingly very easy. Similiar to all of the other alkaloid extractions.

yea, because thats all it is, an alkoloid extraction :)

But my issue with this is: Aren't coca leaves illegal? MHRB and cactus products are not illegal and can be purchased from retailers in the US, as well as imported yourself.

I'm not aware of any US vendors who sell coca leaf. I think you could get in serious shit for importing it.

#27 beardedlady

beardedlady

Documented Deemster

• Expired Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:40 AM

yea, because thats all it is, an alkoloid extraction :)

But my issue with this is: Aren't coca leaves illegal? MHRB and cactus products are not illegal and can be purchased from retailers in the US, as well as imported yourself.

I'm not aware of any US vendors who sell coca leaf. I think you could get in serious shit for importing it.

Erowid Coca Vault:

Erythroxylon coca --

"Coca leaves and extracts of coca leaves are both Schedule II in the United States. This means they are illegal to sell without a DEA license and illegal to buy or possess without a license or prescription."

So...my guess would be that it's probably illegal to import.

#28 myceliod

myceliod

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:08 AM

: ( What a bummer.. not suprised though...

#29 beardedlady

beardedlady

Documented Deemster

• Expired Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:52 AM

So, I got in touch with Compras Peru, and done a little more research, and I've got news.

According to Erowid, and several other places, the plant that is scheduled is E. coca. The plant material sold by Compras Peru is of the E. novogranatense. Obviously they look so similiar that I'm sure if you were telling everyone about your "cocaine plant" you'd get arrested for it.

However, looking at the Schedule II Controlled Substances list, they don't list a species. They list all "Coca Leaves" as being illegal.

Conflicting information. Hope this helps someone.

#30 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:02 PM

glorious supposed loopholes in the system. Good luck trying to explain to the dea that its a different strain, i like where your coming from on that one though.

#31 ExtraKryspi

ExtraKryspi

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:38 PM

It's illegal no matter what the species, and if you check out the FDA website (or somesuch) you'll find a customs notice from 1986 about "Inka tea" and it being coca leaf. I've ordered it multiple times without problems, though, and since every time has been 1kg or less I really think they'd just seize it. Whatever, so far so good. If not, I was just drinking it as tea.

But I'm afraid I just fucked up my first rushed and amateur extraction attempt. I jumped the gun on filtering out the plant matter, didn't do a very good job of separating the organic and aqueous layers, and added way too much sodium carbonate in my vain attempt to precipitate the coca paste. That was because I added too much acid earlier and it was taking a lot of sodium carbonate to neutralize it all, so I was pouring it in too fast. Oh well. I saved the bulk of the plant matter so I can reuse it, get whatever's left out of it. I need to do more than one hundred grams worth of leaf at a time - considering ordering another kilogram. I also need to set up a good straining/pressing system.

One more thing: in most of the guides it has you using sulfuric acid in the coca paste process, but I was using hydrochloric. It didn't seem to me like that should prove problematic, but it could have contributed to the problem, I don't know. Thoughts?

Also, if someone has some potassium permanganate just sort of hanging around, could I get some of that? I don't need that much, I'll cover shipping and all that. That's proving difficult to find and I'm about to resort to ebay but before I do that I figured I'd ask.

#32 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:34 PM

Wow, you order a kg of leaves. in the mail? u got balls the size of my head!!!:amazed: I did see a site linked off lycaeum, i think, where you can order seeds. No way LEO would recognize the thirty ft tall coca bush in the yard, eh. hehe. could they be grown in N.A? how would it affect alkaline content? altitude bein much lower(unless ur in colorado or somthin.) good luck and PLS B SAFE! some of those chems can have some nasty reactions when incorrectly used. not to mention the chem burn it would put on your skin. oh yeh BTW, i saw a movie on night flight bout 20 yrs ago called "kings of white" pretty cool, and fairly recent on PBS a nova maybe, about the native people, cocaleros, and their whole govt( not one of which is a native of the area) really interesting.Cant remember its name though srry . I do remember they said anyone there found with kerosene,diesel,andcement(yes they add portland cement) gets busted. The old flick shows a dog drinking from a big vat of leaves/mix and falls in. only to be stirred up and ate away by thee chems. ya never know when you are snortin a little labrador or sheppard eh?lol peace, pfost

#33 ExtraKryspi

ExtraKryspi

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:38 PM

I feel like it ought to be possible for me to have a modest coca plantation somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. I would like very much to get a chance to test that hypothesis.

#34 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:47 PM

oh yeah, HIP BTW I saw that pic in amag, but I thought the article was on opm and heron and that was the insignia of the taliban? I could be wrong though as allthe mags pics seem to run together( at least in my mind) and i did read an article on coc and us eradication efforts with crop dusters and herbicide. Of course the USGov denied it! supposedly it was killin mor than just plants. STILL an awesome pic! Keep us posted EK. great stuff! peace pfost----------------------a modest plantation! wouldnt that be the shit!! cool man very cool!

#35 beardedlady

beardedlady

Documented Deemster

• Expired Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:41 PM

It's illegal no matter what the species, and if you check out the FDA website (or somesuch) you'll find a customs notice from 1986 about "Inka tea" and it being coca leaf. I've ordered it multiple times without problems, though, and since every time has been 1kg or less I really think they'd just seize it. Whatever, so far so good. If not, I was just drinking it as tea.

I feel that a kilo of leaves, in all honesty, wouldn't be that big of a deal. It seems with the best possible extraction results, at 1.2% alkaloid content, you'd get 12 grams of cocaine. Not likely. I think the lowest report I saw for alkaloid content was .3% ... so you'd extract 3 grams. Obviously it'll fall somewhere in between, but as far as importing cocaine goes...it's not a lot, and it's work to get to the end product.

One more thing: in most of the guides it has you using sulfuric acid in the coca paste process, but I was using hydrochloric. It didn't seem to me like that should prove problematic, but it could have contributed to the problem, I don't know. Thoughts?

It shouldn't be a problem either way, some of the stuff I read during research said you could use either hci or sulfuric acid. It's really just to acidify the water to aid in extraction of the plant material.

Also, if someone has some potassium permanganate just sort of hanging around, could I get some of that? I don't need that much, I'll cover shipping and all that. That's proving difficult to find and I'm about to resort to ebay but before I do that I figured I'd ask.

Potassium permanganate is used in the production of methacathinone also, I hear someone looking for it could pick it up at Home Depot, it's used to recharge water filtration devices, or something like that. Or maybe the local pet store ...

http://www.pondcrisi...rmanganate.html

#36 ExtraKryspi

ExtraKryspi

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:05 PM

I feel that a kilo of leaves, in all honesty, wouldn't be that big of a deal. It seems with the best possible extraction results, at 1.2% alkaloid content, you'd get 12 grams of cocaine. Not likely. I think the lowest report I saw for alkaloid content was .3% ... so you'd extract 3 grams. Obviously it'll fall somewhere in between, but as far as importing cocaine goes...it's not a lot, and it's work to get to the end product.

Yeah, it would probably be somewhere around a quarter of an ounce, give or take, 80+% pure. Not a ridiculous amount but enough to last myself and friends for some time, and certainly enough to make for some good times. The price is right, too.

It shouldn't be a problem either way, some of the stuff I read during research said you could use either hci or sulfuric acid. It's really just to acidify the water to aid in extraction of the plant material.

Word.

Potassium permanganate is used in the production of methacathinone also, I hear someone looking for it could pick it up at Home Depot, it's used to recharge water filtration devices, or something like that. Or maybe the local pet store ...

I knew I could find it at Home Depot, I must not have looked hard enough. I also can try hardware stores and pool supply stores. If I don't have some by next weekend I'll get it off the internet.

#37 beardedlady

beardedlady

Documented Deemster

• Expired Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 12:14 AM

I knew I could find it at Home Depot, I must not have looked hard enough. I also can try hardware stores and pool supply stores. If I don't have some by next weekend I'll get it off the internet.

"It is also known as "permanganate of potash", "Potassium Salt" and "Condy's crystals". The permanganate acts as a strong oxidizing agent.

High-grade potassium permanganate can be found at pool supply stores and is used in rural areas to remove iron and hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell) from well water."

That's from Wikipedia.

#38 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 08 July 2006 - 03:17 AM

very informative guys...:bow:

#39 beardedlady

beardedlady

Documented Deemster

• Expired Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:52 AM

Kryspi, is this the first time you've done the extraction, or have you done it before? If you've done it, I'm curious as to your average yield from the plant matter you get. I'm actually more curious about alkaloid content levels from the plant, but I can figure that part out.

You can buy these seeds, and the seeds aren't specifically listed as scheduled, just the leaves (as far as I understand...). Get a few baby plants going indoors, and you can make cuttings...

#40 ExtraKryspi

ExtraKryspi

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 12:18 PM

Kryspi, is this the first time you've done the extraction, or have you done it before? If you've done it, I'm curious as to your average yield from the plant matter you get. I'm actually more curious about alkaloid content levels from the plant, but I can figure that part out.

You can buy these seeds, and the seeds aren't specifically listed as scheduled, just the leaves (as far as I understand...). Get a few baby plants going indoors, and you can make cuttings...

Yes, this is the first time I've done it. I found the coca tea online about six months ago and have only just gotten the free time necessary to try it.

Where can I buy the seeds? I would be very interested in that, though I'm afraid my current climate could prove far from suitable (about 40 degrees north, eastern seaboard). Still worth a shot and I will move to a more hospitable region when I can.

Also, anybody know some good brands for potassium permanganate?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!