Beer Brewing

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 PsyBearknot

• App Administrator
  • 4,642 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:14 AM

This is gonna be a forever kinda thread... You know I ain't about to be doing this shit like next week or nothin.... Lol
But yeah, I've read a lot of the link you gave me. When I was young, I was witch, and I think deep down inside I still am... I love making teas, and cooking food...
I have a special ability to channel my spiritual energies in these processes. I wanna start my own brewery... but I'm many years from that.

How's the progress coming? Me and Other Bear are jumping into the brewing band wagon as well. Starting with a kit...non pre hopped one thanks to this thread. Gonna try a Newcastle brown ale to start.

#22 PsyBearknot

• App Administrator
  • 4,642 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:19 AM

I have been toying with the idea of home brewing for quite some time, and I think maybe it’s time to get off my ass and try it.  I have read Palmers book before, but it was some time ago.  I need to go over it again.  Would anybody suggest any other good reference or recipe books, or other resources?
I don’t have a lot of places to go for supplies in my part of the world, but Amazon has all of the equipment for reasonable prices IMO.
I have read in more than one place to stay away from the prehoped kits, or kits in general.   Yet other resources, like Palmer, say kits are ok if you follow his directions instead of the kits.   Would any of you experienced brewers like to weigh in on this please?  I would be curious as to what you might suggest for a first time recipe as well please.
Peace and friendship,

There is a book called clone brews. I have seen other like titles as well. BYO website has a lot of recipes as well
  • Juthro likes this

#23 Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,779 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:20 PM

I must confess I have not bought my equipment yet.  And lately I have been putting my extra efforts into setting up a cold smoker before salmon season starts.  If I pull it off, I will have to share it in another thread, I do love me some smoked meats and cheese. :wub:

My biggest problem to date with getting started with brewing is that most places I have checked want to gouge me on shipping.  They have a good rate for the lower 48 states, and then the small print sticks it to us and Hawaii, lol.

It's the Carboys that seem to be my biggest problem, but next time I drive to Anchorage I can pick some up there, as they have a couple of nice brew supply shops.  But I only make that trip once a year at most. 

I'll get there eventually, brewing is something I really want to do, I just have to pick and choose where to use my limited resources to try and get good return.  As in if I start three projects at once and finish none, I then have no new things to play with when they let me out for recess.

Thanks for the resources PsyBear, I appreciate it.  And good luck on your brewing adventure.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!